Duke4.net Forums: GLRott 1.74 how to run it ? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GLRott 1.74 how to run it ?

User is offline   TP555 

Hi

I don't know if it is the right Sub Forum !

I did get this : http://www.riseofthe...ull_v.1.74_.zip

Follow the Install instruction , also extract the GLGraphics.zip , and GLdllpack.zip , and copy the Rott Filles , Darkwar.WAD / RTC / RTL , REMOTE1.RTS

At Run the App. Crashed with a Windows Error Message !

TP555

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostTP555, on 17 November 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

Crashed with a Windows Error Message !

Can you post a screenshot of that message? What Windows version are you using?

I remembered that when I played around with shareware WinROTTGL, I also had to install the GLRottModels.zip pack even thuogh I did not use the models or hi-res textures.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 24 November 2018 - 02:12 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

New version of WinROTTGL?! Why I didn't know...

But I also can't run it, It throws M$ VC++ Runtime error...old setting has been purged when running 1.74 exe(all *.rot files deleted and recreated), the old 1.70 still runs...
Posted Image

Whoah, I didn't realise this is a new version from a month ago!

The download page doesn't seem to provide v1.70, previous full version is 1.64..?

View PostMrFlibble, on 24 November 2018 - 03:25 AM, said:

Whoah, I didn't realise this is a new version from a month ago!

The download page doesn't seem to provide v1.70, previous full version is 1.64..?

Looks like it has been taken down after 1.74 released.

But the file still on that server... http://www.riseofthe...Full_v.1.70.zip

I just found the v1.70 link on the news page (from March 2013).

It also links to some API stuff for Windows 10 64-bit which can be found here. Maybe that would help with compatibility problems?

View PostMrFlibble, on 24 November 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

I just found the v1.70 link on the news page (from March 2013).

It also links to some API stuff for Windows 10 64-bit which can be found here. Maybe that would help with compatibility problems?

The API seems like for non-GL version of WinROTT, since it's very old and was stopped updates.
No, it's more like just other port of DOS RotT...with better Windows support, it seems.

But I'm using Win7 64bits SP1, and the M$ VC++ error still happens even with copy needed RoTT files for v1.74 of WinRoTTGL.
The API one works but I would like use the GL one... :3

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 24 November 2018 - 04:45 AM

User is offline   0815Jack 

the download link for 1.74 can be found here Just wondering why there is no changelog.....

EDIT:

I would be better to have a complete 1.74 package. Maybe some old dll files doesn't work with the new executable...

This post has been edited by 0815Jack: 24 November 2018 - 06:18 AM

View Post0815Jack, on 24 November 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

I would be better to have a complete 1.74 package. Maybe some old dll files doesn't work with the new executable...

Not sure, since every time when the WinROTTGL updates, it only has the EXE, and GLdllpack.zip never updates, also no "complete" package...every release of those EXEs(WinROTT, WinROTTGL and WinROTTAPI) contains no DLL files or other extra files.

So I don't know. :rolleyes:

User is offline   TP555 

Re

@MrFlibble and Player Lin

I have 0x22 or 23 Memory Error Message from Windows 8.1 !

I did Contact him :

The newest SDL files do not work with Winrott, why I do not know. The dll files should be the same but it's not.
I cant adress this problem before I get a win10 developing enveriment on my PC.
If I find a solution You will get a message.
The only version which runs fine on a windows 10 is the API version which dosent relay on SDL.
The source is big because there is a lot of extras included.

Thanks

Birger

But i did reanswer him , it gives too problems under Win7 and 8.x !

The API Version mayby just not support OpenGL , and so Reshade won't work mayby !

TP555

This post has been edited by TP555: 29 November 2018 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the update, did you contact Birger via email?

I wanted to ask if he intends to make a proper Linux version.

I also noticed this latest version wasn't published on his site's news. I'm also experiencing the same VC++ issue. It's been years since the previous release and I'm wondering what's new in this one.

User is offline   mwnn 

I've been playing ROTTEXPR which is an improvement over the old Linux port by Ryan Gordon.
https://github.com/LTCHIPS/rottexpr

It should be possible to cross compile it for Windows, etc.
It seemed to work reasonably well overall when I last reported the issue with loading extra levels in January.

Here's a list of md5sums for the game data:
https://github.com/L...texpr/issues/16

And here's how you load the other levels:
https://github.com/L...texpr/issues/15

This post has been edited by mwnn: 10 May 2019 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Oh hey, that actually sounds pretty good. If someone could compile a Windows build, that would be muchly appreciated <_<

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have been waiting for a proper ROTT port for Windows since ages. Would really like to play that classic again.

View PostLunick, on 11 May 2019 - 02:13 AM, said:

Oh hey, that actually sounds pretty good. If someone could compile a Windows build, that would be muchly appreciated <_<

I would too. ECWolf is planned to support it, but it's still in an early stage for months, where you can only view the levels and several objects are still missing.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I'm actually surprised that 3DR haven't tried to make a proper source port release for such gem either, or hell, a new game in proper oldschool style (for example, using Build engine). I always preferred ROTT more over Wolfenstein to be honest.
Spoiler

It's a shame that ROTT is so underrated and isn't treated quite well since that reboot release which was so-so. It's a good series with a great potential and it's quite ironic that 3DR doesn't want to touch it anymore.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 11 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'd like to see someone do a sequel in the Build engine like some fans are doing for Ken's Labyrinth 2 in the Doom engine.

View PostSledgehammer, on 11 May 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

It's a shame that ROTT is so underrated and isn't treated quite well since that reboot release which was so-so. It's a good series with a great potential and it's quite ironic that 3DR doesn't want to touch it anymore.

I think RotT 2013 did not very well(personally, I hate it sadly, even I love the original) so they just leave it or the current 3DR just have to take care their other important IPs(IM, the new Quake1-style game and others) so just leave classic games like RotT, Blake Stone alone.

But that's just my own thinking. <_<

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 12 May 2019 - 01:03 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

They're finally on track with Ion Maiden and Wrath I guess, so ROTT deserves a better treatment now because it's not some irrelevant IP, they're sitting on pretty good IP with huge potential. I'm actually glad 3DR could not get Wolfenstein into their hands so ROTT was made instead.

Reboot had its moments and as a modern FPS it's fine, but that's about it for me. I'm not a fan of modern shooters so it's the biggest reason why I didn't like it that much.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 12 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

What broke the neck of ROTT 2013 for me was the checkpoint system. There were some jump pad sections that sucked really hard since they were long and one mistake meant redoing the whole f'ing thing. Also the engine made gameplay feel weird, movement and combat was like in an unpolished fan mod, but not what I expect from a commercial release. It could have been enjoyable if they had invested more time into polishing.

To be honest, a ROTT remaster would have been the better choice. But at least the music remixes were awesome.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

View PostNightFright, on 11 May 2019 - 04:12 AM, said:

I have been waiting for a proper ROTT port for Windows since ages. Would really like to play that classic again.

Some older games are currently lacking of ports interest even with rough ports available, specially ROTT and AITD.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostNightFright, on 11 May 2019 - 04:12 AM, said:

I just finished replaying it yesterday, and I can say it works perfectly on DOSBox.

View PostPerro Seco, on 07 July 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

I just finished replaying it yesterday, and I can say it works perfectly on DOSBox.

It does, but IMHO 320x200 doesn't fancy anymore...

View Postfilipetolhuizen, on 07 July 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

It does, but IMHO 320x200 doesn't fancy anymore...

I can't decide, it's both nice, I mean, the original resolution and software renderer is pretty nostalgic for me, but the high-res modes and filtering stuff that GLRott provides are also neat.

I wouldn't mind a port with functionality similar to Crispy Doom, i.e. as close to vanilla as possible but with higher resolutions available, and optional modern controls (BTW GLRott has that, not sure about the regular WinRott though).

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 July 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

I can't decide, it's both nice, I mean, the original resolution and software renderer is pretty nostalgic for me, but the high-res modes and filtering stuff that GLRott provides are also neat.

I wouldn't mind a port with functionality similar to Crispy Doom, i.e. as close to vanilla as possible but with higher resolutions available, and optional modern controls (BTW GLRott has that, not sure about the regular WinRott though).

It's good to be able to switch between hi-res and low-res. In fact there are plenty of updated Rott ports, but none offer compiled binaries for desktop OS.
-OT-
For the same reason, I'm waiting for a S3D wrapper to be made, so I can run Destruction Derby for the S3 Virge, which runs natively in Windows at 512x384 resolution instead of 320x200, as well as Terminal Velocity for S3D.

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostSledgehammer, on 11 May 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

I'm actually surprised that 3DR haven't tried to make a proper source port release for such gem either, or hell, a new game in proper oldschool style (for example, using Build engine). I always preferred ROTT more over Wolfenstein to be honest.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 May 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

I'd like to see someone do a sequel in the Build engine like some fans are doing for Ken's Labyrinth 2 in the Doom engine.
Return of the Triad is a ZDoom TC that sounds an awful lot like what you want. The developers went on to work on ROTT2013 and, more recently, Amid Evil.

User is offline   Master O 

http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/ has plans to support Rise of the Triad: Dark War at some point.

Blzut3 may or may not need help on that front, so you guys would have to ask him.

View PostThe Kins, on 30 July 2019 - 01:45 AM, said:

The developers went on to work on ROTT2013 and, more recently, Amid Evil.

I never realised that the developers of the 2013 reboot include the folks who did the TC. As a matter of fact I almost forgot about it, although I was pretty excited when it came out. Duh.

View PostMaster O, on 31 July 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/ has plans to support Rise of the Triad: Dark War at some point.

Blzut3 may or may not need help on that front, so you guys would have to ask him.

It's already able to load and view ROTT levels (still missing several objects) but just that for now.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options