Duke4.net Forums: How much damage has lack of multiplayer and general IP incompetence caused? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How much damage has lack of multiplayer and general IP incompetence caused?

User is offline   NNC 

View PostTea Monster, on 28 November 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

The earthquake happens in 'The Abyss' along with a lot of geometry changing effects.

No. Hollywood Holocaust already introduced earthquakes along with geometry changing effects.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMaisth, on 28 November 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

I remember being impressed by the effect pulled off on the end of Critical Mass, which was something I never saw pulled off in any other map if I recall correctly.

It's a very simple effect actually, but agreed it was done masterfully.

User is online   Phredreeke 

View PostMark, on 28 November 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Stiker said: "Everyone seems to forget, EDuke32 doesn't have nearly as much manpower behind it as the likes of GZDoom. (It's like 9 devs and occasional contributors combined vs the 20 or more that GZDoom has, thanks to all of those aforementioned patches.)"

I must not pay good attention. I thought we had 3 devs and you.

Hendricks or TerminX could answer this better, but I think it's 3 ACTIVE devs.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMark, on 28 November 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Stiker said: "Everyone seems to forget, EDuke32 doesn't have nearly as much manpower behind it as the likes of GZDoom. (It's like 9 devs and occasional contributors combined vs the 20 or more that GZDoom has, thanks to all of those aforementioned patches.)"

I must not pay good attention. I thought we had 3 devs and you.

There's TerminX and Hendricks266 as the leads, there's pogokeen who's responsible for the polymost improvements, there's Fox who's fixed a lot of shit in patches and added support for a bunch of new CON features (a fair number still undocumented, AFAIK), NY00123 for picking apart the old Duke and WW2GI binaries and helping correct many of EDuke32's inaccuracies, 75 (Client/Server netcode WIP), Nuke.YKT (RedNukem), and myself for fixing a bunch of multiplayer-related issues and oversights, bringing in some of OldMP's fixes/features into mainline, along with some CON and DEF features and such. I'm pretty sure there's a ninth person as well and I'm forgetting who.

This post has been edited by Striker: 28 November 2018 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Mark 

OK. I was making my assumption on seeing only 3 names in the svn changelogs.

• Auramancer

View PostMark, on 28 November 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

OK. I was making my assumption on seeing only 3 names in the svn changelogs.

You'll usually want to check the notes, rather than who put the commit up since it's usually only TerminX, Hendricks266, or Pogokeen that'll show. At the end of the commit's notes, if someone was responsible for the patch, they'll be listed there.

User is offline   jwaffe 

Hi there, I also go by 75. I'd like to take this chance to give a brief status update on the C/S netcode; sorry for not replying earlier, I must have missed this thread. I'm usually on Discord if you want to reach me.

- It's still being worked on in a private repo, what's on there is significantly better than what's on the mainline SVN, but it still has some major issues that need to be worked out
- The game array data gets synced over the network (sprites, sectors, walls, actors, etc) but gamevars aren't synced yet, I have a plan for them but I haven't implemented it yet
- There are some choppy movements and animations in the netcode that need to be smoothed out. I started out with every field of every struct getting synced but I noticed that it's best to just let the client handle some fields over time. NY00123 helped find a bunch of other cases which was really helpful.
- The current code has issues with players joining mid-game and running maps with more players than spawns. It also has issues with usermaps. These problems have been particularly challenging to fix, I tried a bunch of different fixes for this but they have been hard to integrate into the existing code.
- Map transitions are buggy, I've also had a hard time fixing these bugs on my own.
- Terminx and I have talked about merging in what I have right now into mainline, but I want to do a couple things like making sure there are no warnings when building under GCC, and some other cleanup work.
- Some of the older parts of the netcode (e.g., the player updates) is vulnerable to hackers. I have a plan for this but other issues with handling players make this tricky.

This is just a reminder, but when the netcode is merged into the SVN, things might still change. I wouldn't recommend starting to make mods on the way it behaves now.

And less pressing issues,

- There is a lot of optimization work to be done as far as how much memory the netcode uses and how fast it runs, I would like to play with how often the game creates and sends snapshots to see if I can reduce bandwidth usage, too.
- There is a lot of testing to do as far as how well it works with very high latency conditions (we're not ready to start testing that yet, though)
- ... and some other bugs and missing features, I'll go into more detail on that later.

At this point what would really help is:
- If somebody could help me work with the map loading / startup code because I have had a lot of trouble figuring out how to implement some of the map change / initialization code for the netcode.
- If somebody who is really knowledgeable with Duke3D (somebody who's worked with the Duke3D source for a long time, or perhaps a really good modder) could go through and find more struct fields that should / shouldn't be synced for certain SEs, picnums, etc.

I am willing to contribute. I am a C#, Python, Numpy, Julia, SQL programmer. I dont know C++ but I could learn.

As somebody who knows C, C++, Python, and C#, I appreciate your enthusiasm but note that Python/C# and C/C++ are very, very different languages and have totally different memory management strategies. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to get involved, though.

This post has been edited by jwaffe: 28 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View Postjwaffe, on 28 November 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

- If somebody could help me work with the map loading / startup code because I have had a lot of trouble figuring out how to implement some of the map change / initialization code for the netcode.

Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postjwaffe, on 28 November 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

EDuke32 Dev Team be like
Posted Image

• Auramancer

View PostJimmy 4k, on 28 November 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

EDuke32 Dev Team be like
<image>

Haha, that sums it up very nicely.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Some of the disparity between the continued popularity between Doom and Duke is that Doom and Quake's code was written specifically with modding and expansion in mind.

User is offline   pacman 

I thought Ken Silverman did all the coding. What did Reploge do specifically? Also I found this from a 3d realms staff:

George I know where to find, I'll probably do his last. Todd is unreachable. No one knows where to find him. He was last heard of living in a backwoods shack in the state of Oregon. He apparently had converted his money into PVC Pipe, and buried it in his back yard. He's wigged out, apparently The last time I saw him he had come up our old offices and showed me a game called 'Mr. Fist", where it was basically a 3D "shooter" where you only had a fist for a weapon, and you punched everything. It was never released to our knowledge, and only seen that one time by us. It was quite bizarre.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Ken coded everything to do with the engine. Todd and 3DR coded the game side of things, and it’s the game side that’s causing trouble with the multiplayer.

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postpacman, on 29 November 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

I thought Ken Silverman did all the coding. What did Reploge do specifically?

"Engine" side and "Game" side, as they're called, although most people's definition of "an engine" would probably also include things from the "game" side in the case of Build:
http://fabiensanglar...uke3d/index.php

IIRC Todd created CON for example, or most of the SE and ST but the base of things by Ken allowed them to be created, this is why different Build games use different effects.
Also IIRC Ken did help with some DN3D game things like the multiplayer bots.

Also I found this from a 3d realms staff:

Sounds like someone was playing a prank on an old colleague.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 30 November 2018 - 01:21 AM

• Polymancer

Just confirming that Dukematch is just fucking fantastic. Pipe bombing your opponent from a distance using the video cameras - freezing their ass solid and then kicking them to pieces. It never gets old!

Oh, and just leaving this here. If someone were to fix Polymer, the HRP might look like this:
Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Wow, thats cool. Put that in Eduke32 from the same angle, light it with Polymer and take a screenshot. It would probably still look pretty good.

• Polymancer

Getting the shading in Polymer to match PBR is going to be a major ball-ache. I tried it with the pistol with some new PBR textures converted to spec/gloss. Nothing looked right. Then you can't light it properly due to the performance issues - bleh! I'll wait till we get a new game/engine or they overhaul Polymer with new shaders and a new model format.

User is offline   pacman 

That looks like the doom chaingun

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postpacman, on 17 December 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

That looks like the doom chaingun

That is the Doom chaingun; Tea Monster has been making a lot of Doom models lately.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options