Duke4.net Forums: Prodeus - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prodeus  "Another retro shooter that looks awesome"

View PostNightFright, on 19 April 2021 - 01:11 PM, said:

Doom 2016 reloaded. First thing that came to my mind, either. But hey, at least they (re)made a map that goes with the HUD face...

Same here. I could see that, but couldn't put my finger on it at first.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I also had the first impression that the style is after Doom 2016 but now I'm inclined to think that there are enough original points in this game. It's definitely inspired by the original 1993 Doom and I gather that some of the devs are experienced Doom mappers, but from that perspective the game seems to have enough originality to stand on its own. That's my current impression.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Maybe it's not a good idea to showcase the game with remade maps from classic Quake. Right now, it should be about why the game can stand on its own. After release, they can remake all Quake episodes for all I care, but until then...

View PostNightFright, on 20 April 2021 - 12:53 PM, said:

Maybe it's not a good idea to showcase the game with remade maps from classic Quake

It's not a showcase of the game. It's a showcase of the map editor's capabilities. That Slipgate Complex remake is not even an official map, it's user-made.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostMrFlibble, on 20 April 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

It's definitely inspired by the original 1993 Doom and I gather that some of the devs are experienced Doom mappers

Nice analysis, as one of the mappers is the Doom mapper "Dragonfly" who made Skulldash and Eviternity.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 21 April 2021 - 10:42 AM

View PostReaperAA, on 21 April 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

Nice analysis

I simply read or heard somewhere that there are Doom mappers on board :) Maybe in a Civvie video.

But the general Doom 1993 vibes should be pretty obvious.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 21 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Yeah, it's like old-school Doom maps with Quake's verticality and Doom 2016 coat of paint. There appears to be a good game underneath the aesthetic that I personally don't enjoy, and I was impressed by the level editor when they first unveiled it. I think Prodeus probably will be pretty popular. Even my friends who don't necessarily care about retro shooters seemed to be into it.

Still, it can't escape being a giant love letter to id software. The other few retro shooters I've played had a little bit more of "their own thing" going on.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options