Duke4.net Forums: Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy  "Now with official autobuilds on first post"

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

Hi,
After months of reverse engineering and reimplementing it on EDuke32 engine my RR port reached its public release state.

Rednukem is a open source project based on EDuke32 which allows you to play Redneck Rampage, Redneck Rampage: Rides Again, Duke Nukem 3D and Duke Nukem 64 with high degree of accuracy to their original DOS versions.

Current version can be considered stable, however please report any bug or problem you've encountered here.

Source code

Windows 32/64 binaries

User is offline   MetHy 

This port is amazing. Everything one could wish for.

I've got to known the original games by heart by now and I couldn't spot any inaccuracies.
I tested it through both games and R66 and did find a few glitches but NukeyKT was very fast about fixing them.

My only grip is how a few weapons are off-centered apparently to hide the fact they're not made for widescreen. IMO this should be a setting one could turn on/off.

Random screenshots:

Spoiler

I hope you think of supporting Deer Huntin', I know it's not a great game but it'd benefit from a port the most considering half of the controls can't even be changed (and to change the rest you have to edit the cfg manually) and that the max res is 640*480.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 October 2018 - 06:17 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I might finally give RR a chance and finish it from start... thank you!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Cool, but yep, centered weapons ASAP. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Finally a reason to play the RR games that I’d owned for countless years but never got around to!

So what’s this port’s relationship to eduke32 going forward, is the aim for it to be a single executable, some kind of front end with a shared set of code, or is it a completely seperate fork?

Also, are there any kind of quality of life improvements to the game? I’ve heard that the keys are very small and hard to find, which sounds like something that can be fixed easily.

User is offline   0815Jack 

thx for bringing redneck rampage to eduk32 :rolleyes:

Suggestion: Please add automatic detection for the games in the STEAM libary... like for duke3d and it's addons....

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Speaking of widescreen weapons. Every weapon which was cut, has been already made to be wider (some were done by me), so it's a matter of making a mini mod for that.

Now while I understand that the purpose of this port is to play RR as original as possible, you could consider making similar changes which M210 did for his port, for example colored keys.

User is offline   axl 

Great stuff !

User is offline   Phredreeke 

If you want to run Route 66, run Rednukem with the command line option -x game66.con
If you want to use my skyboxes, copy the zip file and use the following command line options: rrskyboxes_r02_nofuzz.zip -mh rrskyboxes_r02_nofuzz.def (depending on which version you want to use)

Personally, I find it easiest to just create a batch file, I add -nosetup redneck.grp so it start right away without having to set game in the launcher.

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 24 October 2018 - 07:40 AM

Windows x64 binary

:rolleyes: Dis x64 only x32 never/later trend mus staph. :P

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Time to upgrade your +12 year old computer perhaps ? :rolleyes:

If thirtytwo bits were good enough for Ken Silverman it oughta be good enough for us!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Looking at the source, NukeYKT ported my method of disabling Duke's widescreen pinning to RR: In rr.def or rrra.def add "globalgameflags 1". Then you can define widescreen tiles.

Time to upgrade your +12 year old computer perhaps ? :P

Maybe, however in terms of support longevity it's still lasts longer than most of the recent consoles. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 24 October 2018 - 09:33 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHendricks266, on 23 October 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

We also experience strange rendering bugs (potentially compiler bugs) in 32-bit that we need to resolve or work around before we can declare 32-bit stable.

These issues apply to RR/RRRA in addition to IM, and once fixed for one game will be fixed for all.

User is offline   Mark 

Did anyone else get a security warning when downloading the 64bit zip file? I received this message:

https://github-produ...e=a21ff918ca35f
This file is not commonly downloaded and may be dangerous.

After I downloaded it anyway I then had another warning pop up giving me the choice of discard or keep. I decided to discard it for now. I want to wait and see if this was a false warning or if others get the warnings too.

User is offline   HellFire 

Its obviously a false positive

User is offline   Mark 

False positive is my guess too but I wouldn't say obviously these days.

It's pretty common for EXE files and ZIP files containing EXE files to trigger false positives in Chrome.

User is offline   Mark 

I was curious because I hadn't received these warnings before for any eduke32 related projects or files.

You always can build exe by yourself if you don't trust to precompiled one

User is offline   TP555 

Hi

@NukeYKT

Good work so far , i saw your Videos or Demo Loops :rolleyes:

Supports your Current Version too , Ultrawide , when yes Native or w/ Fov ?

And of course , Texture Filtering ? , i don't realy like the Classic Texture Rendering :D

And External Audio MP3/OGG Support for the CD Audio Tracks ?

And last , too Duke Nukem 3D HRP Support ?

TP555

This post has been edited by TP555: 24 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostTP555, on 24 October 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

And last , too Duke Nukem 3D HRP Support ?

Now we need RR HRP!

User is offline   Hank 

@ NukeYKT - cheers - :rolleyes: :D :wub:

View PostMark, on 24 October 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

Did anyone else get a security warning when downloading the 64bit zip file? I received this message:

https://github-produ...e=a21ff918ca35f
This file is not commonly downloaded and may be dangerous.

After I downloaded it anyway I then had another warning pop up giving me the choice of discard or keep. I decided to discard it for now. I want to wait and see if this was a false warning or if others get the warnings too.

I got the same warning. Obviously the file is 'not commonly downloaded' since it's been just uploaded by NukeYKT. After a deep scan - all clear on my end. :)
And believe, me after the fiasco with another trusted software, I delete anything, even false positives.

User is offline   max_nukem 

Hi, NukeYKT.
Thanks For the Great Port!
All levels in your port is more darker then in RedneckGDX. Can you fix this?
Comparsion Rednukem vs RedneckGDX.

https://ibb.co/mDAUqq
https://ibb.co/gFVqwV

This post has been edited by max_nukem: 24 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

View Postmax_nukem, on 24 October 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

Hi, NukeYKT.
Thanks For the Great Port!
All levels in your port is more darker then in RedneckGDX. Can you fix this?
Comparsion Rednukem vs RedneckGDX.

https://ibb.co/mDAUqq
https://ibb.co/gFVqwV

Please do comparison against the original DOS version. Also i don't recommend using Polymer renderer as it has various rendering and performance issues with RR maps. I recommend using polymost instead.

This post has been edited by NukeYKT: 24 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thank you!

TBH, I'm not sure how useful comparing to DOS would be, given that it too has a gamma setting. IIRC, its default setting is rather high.

User is offline   TP555 

Re

@enderandrew

Yes , that will be nice , but Reshade does improve all Graphics very much , which i want to Test with Rednukem Open Beta 6 too !

@max_nukem , gives no Slider for Gamma , Contrast like in RedneckGDX ?

TP555

This post has been edited by TP555: 24 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

By default Screengamma is cranked up to 32 in Redneck Rampage DOS.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options