Duke4.net Forums: Recruiting Mappers for Alien Armageddon - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recruiting Mappers for Alien Armageddon

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hey everyone, in case you haven't heard, Alien Armageddon is this mod released in late August: https://www.moddb.co...lien-armageddon

We are recruiting level designers for the next phase of the project. Our immediate need is for some new Capture the Flag maps. This game type would be played offline with the human player leading a team of EDF troops versus a team of aliens. While still in development, CTF is already playable. If anyone is interested in making a map, PM me and I can help you get started. Or, if you have any questions, you can ask in this thread and I will provide detailed answers.

General requirements:

-maps can use the original Duke 3D tileset, or any of the new textures or voxels in AA.
-maps should have exactly two base areas, one for EDF and one for the aliens
-be prepared to compromise on design elements in order to make the map bot-friendly (e.g. don't require the player to hop across moving platforms)

We also need new mappers to make a new story campaign. This will require more experience than making CTF maps, and if you are interested, please let me know.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Actually, I’ve got an unreleased map based on DNF’s Sausage Factory map, which was built for Capture the Babe. It might as well be used here since I can’t think of another good use for it beyond simple dukematch.

I won’t have much time to work on it, although the map itself is 90% finished, probably more like 98% finished if I leave out some of the fancy gameplay ideas I had in mind that wouldn’t be relevant to CTF.

I assume you could implement the CTF gameplay yourself?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 11 October 2018 - 12:31 AM, said:

I assume you could implement the CTF gameplay yourself?

Yeah that part is easy. Does your map use vanilla textures?

• Honored Donor

Yep. I can send you the map a bit later, and possibly make some tweaks if you have minor suggestions. Some of the gameplay area is based on spritework which may or may not work with your bots depending on how sophisticated they are. If you have any kind of waypoint system, then I assume that it would play a lot nicer with spritework.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Yeah, it uses waypoints. I'll take this opportunity to explain the pathing system a bit. As can be seen in the screen above, there are navigation sprites placed around the map. For the most part, these don't need to be tagged in any way, you just place a bunch of them around the map, and then all the actors can figure out where to go.

The navsprites are not like locators because there is no particular order in which they have to be traversed. Think of them as "known valid destinations". From any given navsprite, an actor could go to any other navsprite that meets certain requirements -- in some cases the actor might have a dozen different destinations it could choose from. Typically, though, it will go to a nearby navsprite that it can see from the current navsprite.

In CTF, actors will typically be going towards either a flag (which perhaps is being carried) or a base. Each navsprite currently has 4 channels of value, representing those targets:
-blue base value
-blue flag value
-red base value
-red flag value

When an actor is deciding where to go, it looks at the accessible navsprites from its location and it checks the values it is interested in. It will go to a destination that has a higher (relevant) value than its current location. Not necessarily the highest possible value, though, since some randomization is good to keep the bots from always following the same path. The values on all the navsprites are set by an iterative process which starts from the goal sprites (the actual flags and bases). The goal sprites look around and set value for their respective channels on the navsprites that are accessible from them. The amount of value will depend on distance. Then, the affected navsprites will perform a similar operation, sending value down the line to other navsprites. Eventually, all the navsprites which should have nonzero value will get nonzero value. The values handed out in each iteration will be lower than the last, and such that an actor following a path of higher value will be lead from any place in the map to the goal(s). For goals that can move around the map, the value streams must be continuously updated to that assigned values will accurately lead to the goal. I had some problems early on due to feedback loops, but those have been sorted out now and it works well.

• Honored Donor

So I've dug up the map. It's more finished than I thought, only lacking pickups really. I'll take some time to apply the ExtCLUT lighting to it to make it jump out of the screen more, but it should be more or less exactly what you're looking for. Here's a sneak peak:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That should work great! Looks really nice.

What is that chamber in the middle for? The bots can be made to open unlocked doors, but they do not know how to use buttons (and I don't want to teach them).

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 11 October 2018 - 04:03 AM, said:

So I've dug up the map. It's more finished than I thought, only lacking pickups really.

looks like a james bond villain volcano base

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Well I can't complain about getting a really good map from creating this thread. Thanks Micky! I can't wait to see the map.

However, we are still looking for mappers, so if there's anyone out there who wants to make new maps, let us know. :rolleyes:

• Honored Donor

No problem, the map would have just collected dust on my hard drive anyway. Perhaps I could also send a vanilla version of it for the StrikerDM mod if he's willing to do the pickups himself (I wouldn't be very good at balancing it).

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 October 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

That should work great! Looks really nice.

What is that chamber in the middle for? The bots can be made to open unlocked doors, but they do not know how to use buttons (and I don't want to teach them).

As with the DNF version of Sausage Factory, I made it so if you stand in the chamber and hit the button, you get shrunk, which allows you to go up a pipe and get a goodie like an atomic health. I'll get rid of that feature for the version I'll send you. There's also a vent access area or two which you may also want to have removed, since it's unlikely the bots can access it, and it doesn't suit the fast-paced goal-oriented nature of CTF.

User is offline   eGraphics 

I'm interested in making some maps. But I'll need to come up with something first. Though after looking at my old mod. I have a copy of Temple from Goldeneye I was going to add TROR to.

• Honored Donor

Keep in mind that any maps should be fully compatible in both classic and polymost. TROR doesn’t play too well in polymost other than in very specific circumstances.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 11 October 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

Keep in mind that any maps should be fully compatible in both classic and polymost. TROR doesn’t play too well in polymost other than in very specific circumstances.

Yeah, that's a good point. We're trying to keep AA renderer neutral. So far, all the content works with all renderers.

I seem to remember an old CTF mod that had a version of Facing Worlds (the classic UT CTF map). Am I crazy or did that happen? In any case, I would love to have a map of that style.

User is offline   eGraphics 

Okay. I'll finish my work on Temple and post it in a new topic. Then I'll recreate the map without TROR and see what you guys think.

This post has been edited by eGraphics: 12 October 2018 - 01:03 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Here's some CTF using Micky's map.

User is offline   Forge 

the map looks like it works well for that mod.

• Honored Donor

Nice to see it in action!

Took a few extra hours to get the lighting and everything right, but it seems to have paid off :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 October 2018 - 10:52 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMicky C, on 20 October 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

Nice to see it in action!

Took a few extra hours to get the lighting and everything right, but it seems to have paid off :rolleyes:

You did a nice job with the detailing and ambience.
Be nice if it inspired a couple good mappers in the community to make a few more levels for this. Base vs. base maps aren't too complicated or extremely large.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

We need an urban themed CTF map with opposing stripper bars. I'm not saying that some of the participants would be strippers...but they could be.

User is offline   Sanek 

You can take the existing map from the TC, edit it a little bit and turn it CTF map as the result (like, the city maps will have the new border as the the result of earthquake or something).

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSanek, on 21 October 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

You can take the existing map from the TC, edit it a little bit and turn it CTF map as the result (like, the city maps will have the new border as the the result of earthquake or something).

You don't know how bad my map editing skills are. But yeah, in theory it's pretty simple. Find a chunk of a singlepayer map, cut it out and then duplicate it to create symmetry, paste it to the other side.

User is offline   Maisth 

I wouldn't mind making maps, but what type of maps are you exactly looking for? city ones? space theme ones?

User is offline   Mark 

I don't think I've ever played a CTF map in any game. Are they usually symmetrical maps as previously mentioned?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMaisth, on 21 October 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind making maps, but what type of maps are you exactly looking for? city ones? space theme ones?

An urban CTF map where the bases are opposing stripper bars. There should be multiple paths and it should take about 30 seconds for a player to go from one side of the map to the other.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options