Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC Episode 3 2018 trailer - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC Episode 3 2018 trailer  "as the title says"

I have rewatched the trailer and there is something that is raising my concern, you may find it kinda silly but ... When I see the nice effects with getting out of the water or looking at the sun or James's new water effect it makes me fear that this new release may be kinda Framerate Unfriendly >_>

Is it more hungry for fps than before or am I worrying for nothing (which I hope) ?

Also still waiting for an answer regarding the spheres not being pickable when above 200 HP while it'd be nice to benefit from the 200 armor points (sorry if I sound grumpy or slanderous but I've had a bad day today)

The water effect for emerging is probably just a sprite overlay, similar to the slimer, so most likely not a big thing to worry about.
And overall, I suspect that the glass shards that are already present in episode 2 are probably more performance intensive than all of these combined.

It does raise the question though whether it would be possible to disable certain cosmetic effects, like the aforementioned glass shards in the future, or whether that's too deeply ingrained in the code to really be toggled at runtime.

User is offline   NNC 

Just wondering, will World Tour graphics or the firefiles or the incinerator appear in the episode?

View PostDoom64hunter, on 15 May 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

The water effect for emerging is probably just a sprite overlay, similar to the slimer, so most likely not a big thing to worry about.
And overall, I suspect that the glass shards that are already present in episode 2 are probably more performance intensive than all of these combined.

It does raise the question though whether it would be possible to disable certain cosmetic effects, like the aforementioned glass shards in the future, or whether that's too deeply ingrained in the code to really be toggled at runtime.

Well I bestow my gratitude upon thee Doom64Hunter. It's true I remember once reporting the insane ammount of glass shards we can see in the Colossus EDF Mission and how it makes my PC lagg but suddenly all the shards vanish and my PC is back to normal ^^ I believe James had told it was an effect of deletion for sprite spawn limit or something >_>

Speaking of things being able to be turned off I personally hope that the in-game subtitles will be possible to turn off because I'm personally not a big fan of it :/ It feels liike they're too close to the center of the screen, a bit too appearant and I feel like it doesn't really bring much...

User is online   Jblade 

you can turn off the new stuff like you've always been able to.

View PostNancsi, on 15 May 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

Just wondering, will World Tour graphics or the firefiles or the incinerator appear in the episode?

there was a couple of useful decorative sprites, why?

This post has been edited by Jblade: 16 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostJblade, on 15 May 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

there was a couple of useful decorative sprites, why?

Honestly, I don't understand what you are saying here. I don't want to turn anything off, just asked if there are some WT stuff in AMC TC or not.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

His second line was referring to the post directly above. In hindsight that could have gone above the quote.

View PostJblade, on 15 May 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

Huh, well then I must have misremembered. It's been a while since I last played the TC, or looked at the options for that matter.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 17 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Huh, well then I must have misremembered. It's been a while since I last played the TC, or looked at the options for that matter.

There are things that you can turn off that aren't in the options. It's in a special file in your AMC folder, I believe it's just called SETTINGS and there are a bunch of texts with big YES and NO and you just replace the options by those you want.

For instance you can disable autosaves or that big noise whenever you hit a resistant enemy

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 17 May 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

There are things that you can turn off that aren't in the options. It's in a special file in your AMC folder, I believe it's just called SETTINGS and there are a bunch of texts with big YES and NO and you just replace the options by those you want.

For instance you can disable autosaves or that big noise whenever you hit a resistant enemy

I see now why I didn't notice this file before.
It has a .txt extension, which is a label I usually associate with metadata that doesn't affect the behavior of the software, such as readmes, licenses, changelogs, help files etc.
Would maybe be a better idea to label it as .cfg or .ini to indicate that it contains important parameters that affect the behavior of the game.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 17 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

User is online   Jblade 

That's a good point - my only concern was that less tech-savy people who weren't used to editing cfg or ini files would see it and just assume it was a file that was edited in-game by the program rather than the user...on the other hand I think most people who would play retro mods are gonna be comfortable with that kind of stuff. I think I will change it to ini, thanks for the suggestion :(

This post has been edited by Jblade: 17 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Glad to see how much activity the trailer has brought. :(

About the concerns of bad performance in regards of FPS the episode is not being beta-tested yet. I have at least one computer with shitty resources, so when the time arises, I'll try the TC with it to check performance. I'm sure that James will be able to fix this kind of issues and adjust the code to achieve the best performance. :P

For now, delight yourselves with the trailer and get psyched! :P

• Honored Donor

James has put a lot of time into optimising the code, as well as adding settings for the more resource-intensive features. The framerate on some of my maps are a bit borderline, but then I'm mapping on a ~10 year old computer, so I expect pretty much everyone else to have a smoother experience.

The changes in eduke32 resulting from Ion Maiden are also good to have.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 31 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

View PostMicky C, on 31 May 2018 - 10:12 PM, said:

James has put a lot of time into optimising the code, as well as adding settings for the more resource-intensive features. The framerate on some of my maps are a bit borderline, but then I'm mapping on a ~10 year old computer, so I expect pretty much everyone else to have a smoother experience.

The changes in eduke32 resulting from Ion Maiden are also good to have.

This may be a silly question but What kind of changes did EDuke benefit from Ion Maiden ?

Since we're talking PC I still use my Win 7 PC which used to be able to run Attrition with HRP Polymost when it was still supported >_> Surely it's starting to get old but I can still play DukePlus HRP and Chasm at most

• Honored Donor

A bunch of under-the-hood stuff for performance gain, as well as significant improvements to the polymost renderer. Unfortunately, we'll never recommend polymost until the TROR issues are fixed enough to bring it up to par with the classic renderer in that respect.

View PostMicky C, on 31 May 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

A bunch of under-the-hood stuff for performance gain, as well as significant improvements to the polymost renderer. Unfortunately, we'll never recommend polymost until the TROR issues are fixed enough to bring it up to par with the classic renderer in that respect.

I see O_o

I believe polymost also has kind of a problem with voxels too ? I remember in AMC the boots in Miko's room (for instance), which are already too big IMO, become huge if you use polymost >_>

User is offline   Steambull 

Hey, don't wanna sound impatient, just asking if the "Fall 2018" (or just 'end of 2018') release is still in the ballpark of what seems realistic?

Nice WGRealms (my fav non-vanilla release of all time) vibes from the Powerslave stuff in the trailer.

User is online   Jblade 

It definitely is yeah - I could push it back but I'm of the firm philosophy of 'Shit or get off the pot' With a mod this size you could just hold it back forever and still find things to fix or improve. I do have more stuff I want to add in but it's not 100% vital (gold weapons will have to wait for a patch - the simple truth is they are rushed and not terribly useful so rather than add another 8 weapons I want to try and put more effort in balancing what's there before adding more new stuff)

User is offline   king karl 

hey i just saw the trailer for part 3 and got psyched (as i was instructed to do)

but did this not come out? the responses just sorta stop and that was over a year ago

• Honored Donor

As you've seen, Episode 3 has indeed coming along, as well as an episode 3 update with a major art overhaul, and development on episode 4. We've never been especially public with the progress we're doing, although we do post pictures on our discord from time to time.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options