Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Scripting - Duke4.net Forums

• 115 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Scripting  "CON coding help"

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Now to work out how to set the addang to some sort of var so that I can rotate it constantly.
... Why can't we use CON variables in Def...

This post has been edited by The Angry Kiwi: 27 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 27 August 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

... Why can't we use CON variables in Def...

It's a content definition markup language, not a scripting language.

User is offline   Mark 

As usual, without an example to look at in the Wiki I can't figure out how to do the following...

I need to stop sound numbers 494 and 496 when the player enters sector number 162. I have multiple maps that have sector number 162 but the 2 sounds to stop will only be playing in 1 of the maps so I don't have to worry about that part. I see the stopsound command in the Wiki but I don't know how to use the getsector command or whatever else will be needed for sector detection and pass it along to the stopsound command.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 14 September 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

As usual, without an example to look at in the Wiki I can't figure out how to do the following...

I need to stop sound numbers 494 and 496 when the player enters sector number 162. I have multiple maps that have sector number 162 but the 2 sounds to stop will only be playing in 1 of the maps so I don't have to worry about that part. I see the stopsound command in the Wiki but I don't know how to use the getsector command or whatever else will be needed for sector detection and pass it along to the stopsound command.

I don't think it's a good idea to have specific sector numbers in your code. The number could change (e.g. if you deleted the sector and then re-created it because of a problem with the map) and then the code wouldn't work.

There are several different ways of doing what you want. You could place a sprite in the sector which is coded to stop the sounds, for example. Something like this:

useractor notenemy SOUNDSTOPPER 0

ifvarvare sprite[THISACTOR].sectnum player[THISACTOR].cursectnum
{
  stopsound 494 
  stopsound 496
}
enda

Obviously you have to define "SOUNDSTOPPER" as some tile number and then place the tile in the sector. You might also want to make it invisible (either in mapster or using code). And if you want the sounds to be able to play while the player is in that sector but after he arrives, then you would need a little more code to make that distinction. There might be a problem with the actor not waking up fast enough and the sounds starting to play -- make sure that the actor is in line of sight to the player before he enters the sector.

User is offline   Mark 

Sounds like it should work. I'll give it a try when I'm done snacking on my delicious cheese and crackers. :)

User is offline   Mark 

It works fine. It would be great if the sounds faded instead of shutting off abruptly, but it gets the job done and made the affected area much easier to hear the other softer backround sounds.

It was a problem at first until I realised I gave you 494 and 496 instead of the actual 394 and 396 :)

edit: If there is an easy addition to the previous code to put a delay of a few seonds before shutting down the sounds I could time it to the autoclosing of the doors to that area. Otherwise maybe its possible through the use of a touchplate and masterswitch with delay to spawn the new soundstopper sprite? No, there would be a chance the player moves out of that sector before the actor spawns.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I kept it simple for you, but if you want the sounds to play until the doors close, then the actor could be coded to detect the activation that causes the door to close, then stop sounds after an appropriate amount of time. If you want to just time it without detecting the activation and hope for the best, then do this:

useractor notenemy SOUNDSTOPPER 0

ifvarvare sprite[THISACTOR].sectnum player[THISACTOR].cursectnum
{
  ifcount 60 // or whatever count you want
  {
  stopsound 394 
  stopsound 396
  }
}
else resetcount
enda

I'm assuming that the player is not going to leave the sector before the actor gets a chance to stop the sounds.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 14 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

User is offline   Mark 

This should work because after entering the doors and the sector, the player is presented with differing scenarios on the left and the right. They will probably stay put for a couple of seconds before choosing which way to go.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Question about ifcount, how to reset one without reseting another ifcount?
a thing that has 2 ifcount inside same area of the sprite

I'm trying to make a not too complicated sprite.

If you make "ifcount xx { does something resetcount }
It will reset the ifcount after it "does something" to avoid spam by doing it excessively fast.

But my useractor has 2 ifcounts.

Example.

useractor notenemy SPRITENAME

ifcount 2 { "does something" resetcount } <----(ok so reset is to reset this one )
ifcount 200 { killit } <----( sprite expires after about 7 seconds. )

enda

Problem is inside the ifcount 2 when reset it will reset the ifcount 200 too.

So how to I make so it only reset the ifcount 2 without touching the ifcount 200?
I've tried "else", no working.

User is online   Jblade 

Make a new game variable, like this:

gamevar INTERNAL_COUNT 0 2

then inside your sprite, do something like this:
ifvarl INTERNAL_COUNT 200
addvar INTERNAL_COUNT 1
else killit

That's pretty bare basic code but it'll work.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

It works thx.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Is there a code to put a delay / cool down when firing a weapon.

Example weapon 10 (weapon0) fires extremely fast.
Is there a code to slow it down, slow down the firing speed?
not the projectile speed but the delay each time it fires.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 06 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostZaxtor, on 06 October 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

Is there a code to put a delay / cool down when firing a weapon.

Lol, I thought you've found the way. All the hard-coded weapon properties are pre-defined game variables (http://wiki.eduke32....efined_gamevars). Just redefine those vars which you need to alter. Try increasing WEAPON9_TOTALTIME a bit.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

View PostCraigFatman, on 06 October 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Lol, I thought you've found the way. All the hard-coded weapon properties are pre-defined game variables (http://wiki.eduke32....efined_gamevars). Just redefine those vars which you need to alter. Try increasing WEAPON9_TOTALTIME a bit.

I checked them already but is a bit confusing.

So I put them onevent?

According to the thing "These pre-defined gamevars may be altered without giving them the standard gamevar definition"
Same as "setvar RETURN x" it works without "gamevar RETURN x x" And is inside onevent.

But dunno where to put to make it work the WEAPON0_TOTALTIME

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 06 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Just place it anywhere:

gamevar WEAPON0_TOTALTIME 14 1

This post has been edited by Fox: 06 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

View PostFox, on 06 October 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Just place it anywhere:

gamevar WEAPON0_TOTALTIME 14 1

I placed it or otherwise it says is not a game variable.
I mainly mean the rest.

Cus I know that alone wont do anything.
It will behave like an "ordinary gamevar" that can be used by anything,

User is offline   Fox 

It will replace the default initial value for the pre-existing variable WEAPON0_TOTALTIME.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

It works.

Reason is I put 0 instead of 9.
I'm soo used of 0 (as weapon 10).

User is offline   Fox 

Now I see you mentioned "weapon 10" over there. When you are coding you should forget about the key you use to select weapon, and instead look for the IDs in defs.con:
define KNEE_WEAPON         0
define PISTOL_WEAPON       1
define SHOTGUN_WEAPON      2
define CHAINGUN_WEAPON     3
define RPG_WEAPON          4
define HANDBOMB_WEAPON     5
define SHRINKER_WEAPON     6
define DEVISTATOR_WEAPON   7
define TRIPBOMB_WEAPON     8
define FREEZE_WEAPON       9
define HANDREMOTE_WEAPON   10
define GROW_WEAPON         11

User is offline   Zaxtor 

True.

I made this, Works.

Weapon 0 (9) does diff sound. has a short delay before fireng.

Example

gamevar WEAPON9_FIRESOUND 643 1
 gamevar WEAPON9_INITIALSOUND 642 1
 gamevar WEAPON9_FIREDELAY 32 1
 gamevar WEAPON9_TOTALTIME 42 1

1 fire sound.
2 (charging) sound.
for the sounds

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 06 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

You have only just found these things out?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Had to post this. Sorry Zax. :)

View PostTerminX, on 28 January 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Somewhere, something has gone VERY wrong when someone tried to explain to Zaxtor how to write CON files.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Is confusing.
But now I understand better how it works.

I confusing your post but slowly understand them better.

User is offline   lycanox 

Ok, i got some weird effects while trying out some new parameters for an idea.

I am currently just messing around with creating a crude sunset by cycling skyboxes and changing the visibility.
But each time I try to change a paralaxed sky. It does not work.
Confused I turned off the skybox in mapster. The code does render normally and I can see the tiles change on the now unparralaxed ceiling.

So next I tried turning the paralaxed sky off during the period I change the skybox through code.
But that either does not work. Or reverts the skybox to displaying the brown brick.

I am using the commands

setsector[SECTNUM].ceilingstat (alternating between 1 and 0)
setsector[SECTNUM].ceilingpicnum (just randomly selecting skyboxes or non skyboxed tiles.)

With SECTNUM being the sectornumber of the current actor.

Is this a bug in the code? Or am I approaching this completely wrong? I am using the latest snapshot.

This post has been edited by lycanox: 07 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

User is online   Jblade 

Try something like this:
// if conditions for changing time are set
{
setvar TEMP 0
whilevarn TEMP NUMSECTORS // this sets up a loop that will go through all the sectors in the current level
 {
 ifvarand sector[TEMP].ceilingstat 1 // if it's a parallex sector
   {
    setsector[TEMP].ceilingpicnum *tilenumber* // change that room's ceiling texture to the number defined here
    setsector[TEMP].visibility 0 // just an example
   }
 addvar TEMP 1 // go up in the loop
 }
}

That should work, although it's untested - making a single sprite do all of the work is better than multiple sprites and you can set up many different ways of configuring the sprite. Once you got it working, we can go from there to add more features + control to it.

User is offline   lycanox 

Hmm, I tried your code and I still get the same effect. I think its an flaw in how the game works through.

I am starting to believe that the paralaxed sky is stored in a different game variable that gets written on map load.
As the game seems to remember the original skybox it was after the map was load.
Starting with skybox 1 and then changing to the picnum of skybox 2 would result in skybox 1 still being displayed.

Curiously this gamevar does only seem to be set on level start. And only seems to be capable of storing one skybox.
So if I were to load a map with no paralaxed sectors and force the code to turn those ceilings into paralaxed skies. It would show tile 0, the brown brick as the sky. If I however play the map after playing a space level. It would show the space skybox from that map. Or the LA one after a city level.

So i probably need a command like "set/getuserdef[TEMP].paralax_picnum"
Which sadly does not exist.

This post has been edited by lycanox: 07 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View Postlycanox, on 07 October 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

I am starting to believe that the paralaxed sky is stored in a different game variable that gets written on map load.
As the game seems to remember the original skybox it was after the map was load.
Starting with skybox 1 and then changing to the picnum of skybox 2 would result in skybox 1 still being displayed.

That's true for Polymer.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Only a single skybox is ever loaded in polymer for a given level. I know the limitation of only displaying one at a time, but it's interesting that it can't be swapped.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Is there such thing as something to "Activate" a gamevar VARNAME x x.
Like we know gamevar VARNAME x x define the var to make the var you add work.

BUT.

Something like a Ifvare blocks the gamevar VARNAME x x until is set.

I wanna do a thing for mainly pre-gamevar set such as weapon stuff etc.

Example if I want an addon to a weapon it set a var so it get to the pre-gamevar and activate them.
like a weapon addon.

Example.
Let say weapon 5 is RPG.
RPG is hard coded and will shoot standard RPG projectile, but hardcoded can be "bypassed" if you add a new WEAPONx SHOOTS thing alongside other pre-gamevars in "http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Pre-defined_gamevars"
Will make the RPG shoot a diff projectile, do diff sound and dmg.

ifvare WEAFIVEADDON 1
                                     {
                                      ??????? WEAPON4_FIRESOUND 666 1
                                      ??????? WEAPON4_SHOOTS 13662 1
                                     }

I've tried gamevar, no working.
I searched but dunno what is the name for the "alternative to gamevar" that acts just like a gamevar but can work if is inside a ifvare thing.
like myospal works inside a ifvare.

Like 666 is to change the RPG sound.
13662 makes it shoot a diff projectile
??????? not sure what type of defining code to put that works inside the ifvare and acts exactly like a gamevar

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 07 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

Share this topic:

• 115 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options