Duke4.net Forums: 'Return to ruins' A new Powerslave / Exhumed mini episode AND mapping documentation - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'Return to ruins' A new Powerslave / Exhumed mini episode AND mapping documentation  "First true PS/EX custom maps AND a full mapping documentation !"

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMrFlibble, on 13 April 2019 - 06:22 AM, said:

I just had a thought: has anyone ever tried to do anything with Fate? IIRC the released demo supports loading maps (in fact the demo maps have to be loaded separately if I'm not mistaken). Would it be possible to create more levels?

Hopefully not completely off-topic here, just wanted to mention that there's a Fate TC going on on the ZDoom engine.

User is offline   Avenger 

Cool addon.

Anyone know how to start these with a batch script rather then having to drag the files back and forth between the game directory folder and elsewhere in order to switch between these levels and the original game?

Cheers.

User is online   Phredreeke 

Put them in a subfolder and use the -j parameter?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

A small update that includes better PCE compatibility is planned, however this has been a plan for few months now.
Regular game has zero modding support, which is why it works like this.

View PostPhredreeke, on 03 November 2020 - 11:41 PM, said:

Put them in a subfolder and use the -j parameter?

Can you please elaborate?

This post has been edited by Avenger: 04 November 2020 - 12:25 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostAvenger, on 03 November 2020 - 11:30 PM, said:

Cool addon.

Anyone know how to start these with a batch script rather then having to drag the files back and forth between the game directory folder and elsewhere in order to switch between these levels and the original game?

Cheers.

If using PCExhumed port, you can put Return to Ruins in a subfolder, and on the startup window select that folder under "custom game contet directory".

If you want to use the original game under DOSbox, you can create a windows bat file that does the following and which you can run before launching the game

Renaming the Return to Ruins level to play the original game levels:

ren "lev0.map" "RTRlev0.map"
ren "lev1.map" "RTRlev1.map"
ren "lev2.map" "RTRlev2.map"
ren "lev3.map" "RTRlev3.map"

Renaming back the RTR levels to play them

ren "RTRlev0.map" "lev0.map"
ren "RTRlev1.map" "lev1.map"
ren "RTRlev2.map" "lev2.map"
ren "RTRlev3.map" "lev3.map"

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 November 2020 - 02:30 AM

View PostMetHy, on 04 November 2020 - 02:29 AM, said:

If using PCExhumed port, you can put Return to Ruins in a subfolder, and on the startup window select that folder under "custom game contet directory".

If you want to use the original game under DOSbox, you can create a windows bat file that does the following and which you can run before launching the game

Renaming the Return to Ruins level to play the original game levels:

Renaming back the RTR levels to play them

Is there a batch file that can be ran directly through dosbox so that I can just configure AmpShell to run it when I click on the game?

For example, Chasm also has a 3 level addon and for that game I have a batch file with the following:

chasm.exe -addon:addon %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

The addon files are inside the game directory inside another folder named "Addon"

Then the following is run through dosbox:

@echo off
mount c "c:\xyz\chasm"
imgmount d "c:\xyz\chasm\image\chasm.cue" -t iso
c:
addon.bat
exit

This way there's no need to remember having to run bat files before and after different games which becomes a pain when you come back to them a couple years down the road and have to figure it all out again.

Thanks for your help.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 04 November 2020 - 08:27 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

The "ren" command line also works under DOS; so you could add lines at the end of your conf files to rename the map files, launch the game, then the next lines would operate upon exiting the game so you could insert the lines to rename the files after those.

You can also not go through this convoluted renaming shenanigans I just recommended and have the RTR maps stored in a sub folder, and add the lines to copy (and then delete) the maps in your conf file in the same way.

So for instance, let's say you have the maps in a subfolder called RTR and that you have set your dosbox conf file to have the game folder as C:, the end of your conf file should look something like this (with the proper paths to your game folder and iso)

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

@ECHO OFF
imgmount D D:\games\exhumed\cd\exhumed.cue -t iso
mount C D:\games\exhumed
c:
copy c:\RTR\lev0.map c:\lev0.map
copy c:\RTR\lev1.map c:\lev1.map
copy c:\RTR\lev2.map c:\lev2.map
copy c:\RTR\lev3.map c:\lev3.map
ex
del lev0.map
del lev1.map
del lev2.map
del lev3.map
exit

Then you can have this new conf file called EXRTR.Conf and make a 2nd shortcut (the first shortcut running the original game, I assume) that runs DOSbox with it.

The only difference with doing this under DOS is that you have to keep in mind the 8 characters limit, so don't have your subfolder called "Returntoruins" to make things easier.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 November 2020 - 09:22 AM

View PostMetHy, on 04 November 2020 - 09:17 AM, said:

The "ren" command line also works under DOS; so you could add lines at the end of your conf files to rename the map files, launch the game, then the next lines would operate upon exiting the game so you could insert the lines to rename the files after those.

You can also not go through this convoluted renaming shenanigans I just recommended and have the RTR maps stored in a sub folder, and add the lines to copy (and then delete) the maps in your conf file in the same way.

So for instance, let's say you have the maps in a subfolder called RTR and that you have set your dosbox conf file to have the game folder as C:, the end of your conf file should look something like this (with the proper paths to your game folder and iso)

Then you can have this new conf file called EXRTR.Conf and make a 2nd shortcut (the first shortcut running the original game, I assume) that runs DOSbox with it.

The only difference with doing this under DOS is that you have to keep in mind the 8 characters limit, so don't have your subfolder called "Returntoruins" to make things easier.

Awesome.

This took care of it and it's alot more of an organized solution.

For some reason I could not get the "ren" command to work within dosbox regardless of what combinations I tried.

Thanks for your help.

User is offline   pagb666 

Quite the necro, and quite possible a newb question. But I can't seem to be able to hit "V" on sprites to change their appearance, all my pickups look like speedloaders :P Iirc you just could hit "V" within the 3D mode in mapster to change the tile used.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

What version of mapster do you use ?

Also remember that in-game the sprites will take their true appearance from lotag usually.

View Postoasiz, on 02 August 2021 - 08:36 AM, said:

What version of mapster do you use ?

Also remember that in-game the sprites will take their true appearance from lotag usually.

I'm using the mapster version provided in the package offred in this thread. Enemies and stuff with animation will indeed take their true appearance, but pickups which have no animation will not (at least under pcexhumed. EDIT: Also happens under GDX)

This post has been edited by pagb666: 02 August 2021 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Does the speedloader thing only happen ingame?
Picnum is irrelevant in most cases when picking items in exhumed, it's the lotag that counts for everything that's "dynamic" (not a static sprite like decoration)

View Postoasiz, on 02 August 2021 - 09:43 AM, said:

Does the speedloader thing only happen ingame?
Picnum is irrelevant in most cases when picking items in exhumed, it's the lotag that counts for everything that's "dynamic" (not a static sprite like decoration)

Yep, only ingame, it's a speedloader because it was the first spirte I added... and I couldn't change the picnum of the rest. I updated mapster and now I can "V" on sprites, so now I'm fine. I thought the mapster provided in this thread had something special, but turns out it didn't :P

This post has been edited by pagb666: 02 August 2021 - 12:00 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

It shouldn't matter. And the old versions should work fine.
I haven't tested it though.
Exhumed has a strange thing where sprite picnum is just a visual thing, it changes to whatever you have in lotag when you're ingame.

See the full list from the first post documentation sheet.

I have plans to integrate the m32 documentation to this game once I have the stuff I'm working on to a point that's more complete.
This would allow things like auto-tagging and assisting teleporters for underwater stuff.

View Postoasiz, on 02 August 2021 - 12:05 PM, said:

It shouldn't matter. And the old versions should work fine.
I haven't tested it though.
Exhumed has a strange thing where sprite picnum is just a visual thing, it changes to whatever you have in lotag when you're ingame.

See the full list from the first post documentation sheet.

I have plans to integrate the m32 documentation to this game once I have the stuff I'm working on to a point that's more complete.
This would allow things like auto-tagging and assisting teleporters for underwater stuff.

It didn't change for the weapons I placed in-game, I swear. I guess that's because they're a non animated sprite... maybe?

There's this issue I face whenever I want to make underwater sections which I don't know how to circumvent. Afaik, the underwater sectors must be euclidean to the upper ones. I guess the sensible thing is to set up apart from the rest of the level, and when done drag them to their 99% euclidean position. Problem is, when I'm done, the underwater sectors get borked... but only in game. Some shapes get distorted, some slopes also get borked, "slime trail" effects appear at certain angles, even wallk that aren't supposed to be there show up. Within Mapster everything looks fine.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

The game code drags the underwater sectors to match the ones on top.
It's a bit tricky on how it works.

Wallpoints and their counts MUST match for this to work.
It's very janky.

View Postoasiz, on 08 August 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

The game code drags the underwater sectors to match the ones on top.
It's a bit tricky on how it works.

Wallpoints and their counts MUST match for this to work.
It's very janky.

But matching them can join white lines into red ones... Jesus, what a clusterfuck. I'll experiment with it, thanks
EDIT: Ok, I got the hang of it. Just add more vertexes so each one above has an equivalent below

This post has been edited by pagb666: 08 August 2021 - 02:23 PM

User is offline   a254214712 

I just started working on a few maps but for some reason I dont have any textures nor does 3D view work. Its already hard to use because of the shitty UI and having to memorize a lot of keys. How to link mapster to the game?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

mapster is likely auto-detecting duke3d stuff or similar. Did you use the linked package?

View Postoasiz, on 27 October 2021 - 09:56 PM, said:

mapster is likely auto-detecting duke3d stuff or similar. Did you use the linked package?

Nevermind, I looked at the instructions and reinstalled it.

How to replace the .VOC files?
In buildgdx it works but in raze touch it says unable to find any game data. Maybe it recognizes the size of STUFF.DAT?

User is online   Phredreeke 

How are you packaging your mod? It sounds like you are making a new STUFF.DAT which really isn't the way to go if you want to distribute it. It'd be better to put the new content only in its own ZIP file, then load that from BuildGDX's user content browser, or drag and drop the file on Raze, or launch it in PCExhumed with the -g parameter.

View PostPhredreeke, on 29 October 2021 - 12:24 PM, said:

How are you packaging your mod? It sounds like you are making a new STUFF.DAT which really isn't the way to go if you want to distribute it. It'd be better to put the new content only in its own ZIP file, then load that from BuildGDX's user content browser, or drag and drop the file on Raze, or launch it in PCExhumed with the -g parameter.

Perfect, thanks for the pointers!

Is it possible to edit the .SEQ files? They have a DS header.
Has anyone tried to enable the shotgun and chainsaw?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Adding here as well..
latest mapster32 now has a "cameraheight" variable that you can adjust in-editor or m32_autoexec it.
I think the proper value is 54 despite code hinting at 58.
This lets you get a much better preview on the map scale itself without having to constantly go ingame.

Did a quick check and the latest m32 seems to work fine with the maps, will try to address the shading thing one of these days.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options