• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Realms Logo  "What do you think about it?"

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Hi Guys!

A small update from 3D Realms Land.
We're currently hard at work on the new website.
There's a lot of great features being implemented as well as beautiful game pages, for each of the more than 30 games released under the Apogee/3DRealms label.

Here's a small teaser of the Keen Page:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you all know, we have also re-designed the logo.

I've read through most of the feedback from you guys, and I understand why some of you have strong feelings against it.
It is a change of a legendary brand afterall.

The reason we're changing it, is that the original logo had a lot of issues.
First, a texture mapped, 3D logo, does not work well with vector printing. Every corporate logo needs to be easily vectorized in order to translate to everything from letterheads, shirts, business cards etc.
Secondly, we wanted to create something that represents the new era for 3D Realms.

That being that, you guys are the fans, and we really do listen to your feedback.

So - What do you guys like/dislike about the new logo?
What would you like to see changed/added/removed?

Last but not least, I've attached the only known 3D Realms "Vectorized" logo, which was used on the DNF 1998 Christmas Card, which is one of my personal favourite variations of the logo.
Let me know what you think!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: unnamed.jpg

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 02 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Frederik Schreiber, on 02 July 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

I've read through most of the feedback from you guys

[...]

So - What do you guys like/dislike about the new logo?

First, a texture mapped, 3D logo, does not work well with vector printing. Every corporate logo needs to be easily vectorized in order to translate to everything from letterheads, shirts, business cards etc.

[...]

Last but not least, I've attached the only known 3D Realms "Vectorized" logo, which was used on the DNF 1998 Christmas Card, which is one of my personal favourite variations of the logo.

I don't understand the purpose of this thread.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Simply asking for feedback on the new 3DR logo, and explaining why we're changing the classic logo.
The attached logo is an example of the classic 3DR logo in a vectorized version, designed by 3D Realms back in the mid 90'ies.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I've never paid attention to the logo. For me, the most important thing was that the game has been made by 3D Realms. However, my favorite logo is from Duke Nukem 3D The Apocalypse (v1.3d):
Posted Image

And I would like to see it in other games. You can also vectorize this logo using 2 colours.

This post has been edited by Artem Nevinchany: 02 July 2014 - 02:37 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

What's Duke Nukem 3D: The Apocalypse?

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Daedolon, on 02 July 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

What's Duke Nukem 3D: The Apocalypse?

Posted Image

Keeping the original 3DR logo, but having a simplified version (although maybe not as simplified as the vector you posted) as a vector, would be my choice.

The main reasons I am so opposed to the new logo, are the following:
  • The position of the "3D" is off-center, which feels weird to look at (at least for me)
  • The "3" is obscured
  • While I understand vectors need to be simple, it feels a little TOO simple

Artem Nevinchany, on 02 July 2014 - 02:32 AM, said:

You can also vectorize this logo using 2 colours.

If you used a few gradients you could probably make it even more accurate.

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 02 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Did you never play the original game? It's the same logo.

User is offline   N64 

I like the new logo. :P It's a new era for 3DR. I hope for new AAA games like DN3D.
Create a new IP like Duke Nukem (similar to Arnold Schwarzenegger 80s 90s) or ask Gearbox if they sell you the Duke Nukem IP. :P

:P
Posted Image

This post has been edited by angelo86: 02 July 2014 - 03:29 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Frederik Schreiber, on 02 July 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

Let me know what you think!

I gave my own concept before, it's unchanged and there is no point in re-posting. Warner Bro. went through a lot of ownership changes, and the most drastic logo change was changed back to its original. You own 3D Realms now, and there is nothing wrong with a new logo, even the fiercest fans will get used to it, once 3D Realms produces good games again.

As a compromise, have a black/grey/grey (you need three shades of greys for 3d effects) imprint of the original 3D Realms logo for stationary and other business communication, and keep the original logo for new games and the web site.

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

The new logo doesn't look like it would fit a company with a slogan of "Reality is our game".

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

angelo86, on 02 July 2014 - 03:27 AM, said:

I hope for new AAA games

I lol'd

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The new logo doesn't look like it would fit a company with a slogan of "Reality is our game".

Why not?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Edit: damn you MusicallyInspired...

This post has been edited by The Angry Kiwi: 02 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Posted Image
I like this ^ It's similar to the quick sketch I did. I think you could go with more of a 3d perspective, like I used on the 3 and D, except mine is a 30 second sketch with a backwards E lol. The hexagram showing a cube outline ties in to the old interceptor logo.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Drek: 02 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

TerminX, on 27 April 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Hey guys, I remembered how to use Photoshop!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Ronin 

"So - What do you guys like/dislike about the new logo?
What would you like to see changed/added/removed?"

It's not aesthetically pleasing to me, it doesn't read clearly when small and it's not as meaty as the original, the 3 is the main problem as it doesn't really look like a 3 but more like a backwards F. I have no problem with the colour scheme.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Ronan, on 02 July 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

"So - What do you guys like/dislike about the new logo?
What would you like to see changed/added/removed?"

It's not aesthetically pleasing to me, it doesn't read clearly when small and it's not as meaty as the original, the 3 is the main problem as it doesn't really look like a 3 but more like a backwards F. I have no problem with the colour scheme.

Ditto

User is offline   Ronin 

It doesn't have to try to be clever and complicated, it can be simple and still remind people of the original.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Ronan: 03 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I'd say the new logo has two issues:

1. The "3" is easy to misidentify, as others have already pointed out. Reverse "F" or not, it's rather confusing, and the illusionary impossible shape thing doesn't seem to work out well.

2. The "3D" part feels completely disconnected from "REALMS". People unfamiliar with the company title might very well think it's just called "Realms", and the thing above is some weird company logo with no meaning.

User is offline   N64 

Simple test.

Posted Image

I prefer the official logo.

This post has been edited by angelo86: 02 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

angelo86, on 02 July 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

My logo.

Posted Image

Did you seriously just apply some bullshit in Photoshop to this image, posted earlier?

Posted Image

I regret that I have but one downvote to give.

User is offline   N64 

You misunderstood me. I like that logo and I think it needs some tweaking.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Something similar to what TerminX suggested. It's simpler than the original logo design which makes it fit with the new direction you've got going on, but it retains the ideas behind the original logo. It's a compromise and hopefully the best of both worlds. It would lend itself to both a 3D treatment and for all manner of documentation where it needs to be gray-scaled. It's also much easier to read at smaller resolutions.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Fred just ignore people bitching about the logo, seriously, people have nothing better to do on here than bitch about dumb minor shit created by a company they don't even work for.

inb4 Bombshell (That's actually kind of major).

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I still say I like the logo. I like the Escher painting effect.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I'd say stay with your new logo. Everyone is complaining but I haven't seen actually a better logo than the actual. If I could change something it would be the color to the original blue and orange, and the layout to be more like a whole, more than 2 separated elements.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 02 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

I say have a contest and let the fans submit their ideas on what they think the logo should look like. I'm sure there are plenty of creative people around here. :P

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Commando Nukem, on 02 July 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Something similar to what TerminX suggested. It's simpler than the original logo design which makes it fit with the new direction you've got going on, but it retains the ideas behind the original logo. It's a compromise and hopefully the best of both worlds. It would lend itself to both a 3D treatment and for all manner of documentation where it needs to be gray-scaled. It's also much easier to read at smaller resolutions.

Those are all things I was actually going for when I "designed" that version. It's actually already 3D, even... I just threw some letters into Photoshop, extruded them into 3D objects and flat shaded them, yellow/orange on the main letter faces and blue on everything else. Then I added a darker blue outline to each letter. Seems like that's about the epitome of modern bullshit logo design right there.

I think recognition at smaller sizes is the biggest problem with the actual official new logo. It's really bad. You actually can't even see the "3" at smaller sizes... a fairly important requirement for a logo for a company called "3D Realms", I'd wager.

Here's an imgur thumbnail from a couple months ago of a mockup image from the Android version we're working on that I threw my fake logo into (why GIS a real one when I had mine already in my mockup dir?):

Posted Image

Even in this smaller thumbnail, which brings the logo down to nearly the size of a favicon, you can tell what it is because it doesn't ditch the original branding altogether like the redesign does:

Posted Image

Certainly if I can come up with something like this then an actual graphic designer can come up with something that really kicks ass.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Attached Image: Capture.PNG
TX, that mini icon is amazingly readable, yet not. I recognized it, but it is not even letters anymore.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options