Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction - Duke4.net Forums

• 32 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction  "All Out Of Gum aka Gearbox foils Interceptor's plan again"

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View Postrandir14, on 01 February 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

Does Interceptor have the ability to develop two games at once?

I don't know but there's some guy on Reddit with two dicks. So I guess anything is possible.

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 01 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction

Posted Image

User is offline   Ronin 

Top down action role playing game......What. The. Fuck.

Why would they do that? I was actually liking what I read until I got to that part. Oh well.....next.

I will happily eat my words if this turns out great, but I would like a first person Duke game like I'm sure 100% of the fan base would also.

Having said that, some Duke is better than no Duke, I should probably reserve judgement until I see some gameplay.

Maybe they are not allowed to make a fps, maybe Shovelware are preventing them from making a fps so as not to steal their thunder when they do eventually get around to making a Duke game in 5 years time.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 01 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

Action RPG?! What the HELL...did I read wrong or something... :(

EDIT: Whatever, I were expected if it's FPS+RPG...if Gearbox ShovelSoftware allowed......nah, just thing too much.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Also before you scream fake at me...

I was going to post this last night but it had no relevance to the website until now: http://twitter.com/kyrriscoming Followed by Fred and it follows all the Interceptor stuff.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 01 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Oh.

User is offline   K100 

Well, I am not really surprised. Did you really think they would announce an AAA FPS for PS4 and PC after only 4 months of development ?
At least, they are trying to do something new. We will see.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'm not gonna knock it until I actually see what's going on. It's a bold choice to go in a direction we haven't seen before. A top-down Duke game with RPG elements could be very entertaining and fresh for the character. As long as the ACTION part still maintains the dominance, and i'm still blowing away the badguys with Duke's personality.

It's really hard to come to a conclusion based on this story. Some of it sounds very interesting. It will come down to what we see from a gameplay standpoint. Let's not forget that Duke has had many different kinds of games over his long legacy. The First Person games are the minority. We've had side scrollers (Duke 1, 2, GBC, Manhattan Project, and CM. Plus the mobile games.) Third Person Action-Adventure games (Time to Kill, Zero Hour, Land of the Babes) First Person Shooters (Duke3D, Duke Nukem Advance, Duke Nukem Forever) and even the "Duke Nukem Racing" game Death Rally (I know it's technically *not* a Duke game, but a game with Duke in it, but I've heard it referred to as a Duke Game.)

So I see no reason why this won't work for the character. Posted Image I hope Interceptor can step up from ROTT and bring on a lot more polish now that they have some major experience under their belt.

View PostLunick, on 01 February 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction

Posted Image

Where is that picture from? The website is still down for me.

User is offline   Lunick 

I wonder if they are WanKrrs.

Edit, source image is in here somewhere http://www.reddit.co...led_in_25_days/

This post has been edited by Lunick: 01 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostLunick, on 01 February 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Edit, source image is in here somewhere

For those who just lazy for checking texts...

http://www.reddit.co...nextgen_action/

http://i.imgur.com/4q4eN2I.jpg

Well, just wait and see...... :(
(It's bad for Interceptor guys because the setup has been deciphered by someone...)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

User is offline   randir14 

Saw this link in the Reddit thread:

http://www.mode486.c...vealed-25-days/

I sure hope this new game is not going to be what Fresch wants it to be. "A villain who can break Duke like Bane in The Dark Knight". What the fuck is that. If there's one thing this series doesn't need it's a serious and gritty change in tone.

This post has been edited by randir14: 01 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

• Judge Mental

If the reactionary paradigm shift moves Duke to the opposite end of the DNF bell curve we're going to be in trouble. Duke was born in a radioactive mushroom cloud of action movie cliches. That is Duke Nukem. I'll say it again. Duke's world should be fairly serious(obviously a little seasoning, with pop culture references or hidden easter eggs not withstanding), but Duke Nukem should never be played straight. You make a world that is atmospheric, interesting to look at, and maybe even a little scary. (Duke3D had such wonderful moments.) But Duke is the man who blows down the side of a goddamn building and spouts lines like "Damn, I make this look good!"

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 01 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Why not? If there is humour it should be naturally there. Not forced stuff as in DNF. Duke needs to be re-innovated. I am looking forward to this game. I don't expect it to be AAA, but hopefully it's fun and worth 1-2 replays. :(

The "kicks ass across planets" part agrees with the earlier seen concept art from Interceptor's office showing Duke in different outfits, namely a coat for the presumed "Ice" planet:

Posted Image

Judging from the description, I hope this title is treated as a spinoff like Manhattan Project and the console games rather than a proper sequel or, perish the thought, a reboot of the series.

View PostLunick, on 01 February 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

I was going to post this last night but it had no relevance to the website until now: http://twitter.com/kyrriscoming

The image background of that Twitter account appears to be a clean and Duke-less of this artwork. I'd sure like to see the original art before Duke was cloned out, though.

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 01 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

Everybody loves a gritty reboot!

User is offline   DaveyDoomsday 

• Interceptor PR

View PostDial V for Viper, on 01 February 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

^ Best comment so far :(

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostLunick, on 01 February 2014 - 03:05 AM, said:

Everyone on this forum is just a little crazy.

Maybe... from my perspective, some on this forum are a lot crazy and the rest and just regular crazy. :(

So... is it time for some Dr. Seuss quality speculation now? Are we officially "waiting"? Lets establish some parameters here!
I think I will be insane and obsess on a MUCH smaller scale from now on... at least relative to Duke Nukem Games.

One a side note, the person who was giving the demo in the Duke Nukem: Critical Mass YouTube link above didn't know how to play. It is WAY more fun than that chore of gameplay seen in that video. Mostly because they didn't ever use the shoulder buttons which individually shift the camera to an angled view, and both shoulder buttons together look up. The game has its problems, but is not nearly as stiff and sad as that video makes it look.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 01 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Top down action RPG

Posted Image

User is offline   Hool 

Top-down games aren't usually my style but I'll give the game a try if it plays any good. Also, Frederik Shreiber is looking at this thread right now. lol

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I just don't understand. The recipe for producing a cool Duke game is pretty simple when you come down to it. Duke kicks a variety of OTT alien's asses with a variety of OTT ordnance while saving babes. It ain't rocket science peeps. Why has EVERYONE in the last 20 years so royally babbed it up?

I wait for Interceptor to prove me wrong, as they have proven that they can make a pretty cool game when they want to.

Got to say though, my very first impression when reading "Top down action RPG" was:

View PostTea Monster, on 14 June 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

I maintain that the franchise is cursed, and every incident like this is just another pin in the voodoo doll.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Well we shall see, no use in over hyping or under minding. Lets hope for a good game period

". Duke kicks a variety of OTT alien's asses with a variety of OTT ordnance while saving babes."

Well all of these things SHOULD be possible in a top down action RPG.

View Postrandir14, on 01 February 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

Does Interceptor have the ability to develop two games at once?

Which two games?

• Judge Mental

View PostKristian Joensen, on 01 February 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

". Duke kicks a variety of OTT alien's asses with a variety of OTT ordnance while saving babes."

Well all of these things SHOULD be possible in a top down action RPG.

I think when we're talking about this particular aspect that's being vague, honestly. The underlying concern, I feel, is that the RPG elements might reduce the games pace. Duke's games, at their best, have a certain energy to them. I haven't seen many RPGs that could recapture that energy. The closet was Deus Ex Human Revoluton, and that was because, while it is technically more of an RPG than a shooter, it is actually more of a shooter than most RPG games.

Personally, I think it could work out just fine, it's just all in how the RPG elements are played off the Duke Nukem character.

View PostMrBlackCat, on 01 February 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

One a side note, the person who was giving the demo in the Duke Nukem: Critical Mass YouTube link above didn't know how to play. It is WAY more fun than that chore of gameplay seen in that video. Mostly because they didn't ever use the shoulder buttons which individually shift the camera to an angled view, and both shoulder buttons together look up. The game has its problems, but is not nearly as stiff and sad as that video makes it look.

It really kinda is though. I played it all the way through, and though as some reviewers pointed out it gets a little better as it goes along, the core game engine, gameplay, graphics... They're sub par, even for the little handheld. There are glitches and bugs of all sorts. I fell THROUGH THE LEVEL on a couple of occassions. I got stuck inside geometry. The sound system is a joke.... Just... No. Duke deserved so much better, and the Duke Trilogy had the ambition to see that happen. They just lacked the financial backing. Just the fact that they hoisted a clearly unfinished product on the consumer. (Most likely because the small team intended to dev the trilogy went balls up.) Makes it worthy of immense ridicule.

User is offline   randir14 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 01 February 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Which two games?

Project Ascender and Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction. Unless they are the same game.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

My first thought is that when i heard "Top down RPG" is..... not getting it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMicky C, on 01 February 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

Let's hope that if it is a Duke game it's a proper PC exclusive full blown FPS, and not some crappy 3rd person shooter or worse.

Fuck.

User is offline   Malgon 

I didn't see this coming, especially not a top down action RPG, but hey, it could work if done right I suppose. I just hope there's a return to the old recognisable fun/serious Duke atmosphere in the previous games, not the empty, hollow feel we got in DNF, with its cheap jokes and lame Duke douchebaggery. Here's hoping this turns out to be worthwhile and a step in getting the Duke brand back on track.

User is offline   Hool 

View Postrandir14, on 01 February 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Project Ascender and Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction. Unless they are the same game.

Sort of like Metal Gear Solid V. Fresch is the new ruse man.

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options