Duke4.net Forums: Other Build Engine games in eDuke32, how feasible? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Other Build Engine games in eDuke32, how feasible?

User is offline   Mark 

Menu loads but game quits to desktop when Start button is pressed.

Sorry for the zip file but I can't seem to figure out how to use the spoiler button feature.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMark., on 14 June 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

Sorry for the zip file but I can't seem to figure out how to use the spoiler button feature.
You can always see how it's done by 'reverse-engineering' other people's posts using the Reply button. Then copy the interesting structures to your own post and edit them accordingly.

Spoiler tags work as follows, if you replace both 'X' by 's':
[Xpoiler]Hidden stuff[/Xpoiler]

Spoiler

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMark., on 14 June 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

Menu loads but game quits to desktop when Start button is pressed.

Could you give me the crashlog with the debug exe?

User is offline   Mark 

OK. I removed the update so I'll reinstall it shortly and get the log.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Wow, Robman should be surprised about this release.

This is probably my 2nd time trying SWP, why is the voices play at once limited to 32 rather than 64?

Plus the custom Voxels didn't load...

What about the mid songs, I didn't check the grp but are there suppose to be external mid files present? Maybe from the shareware version...

Edit: I just put swp in my dos SW folder, not realizing was was to have the old SWP already. So I seen the music mids where there.
Also got the voxels TURN ON, heh.

I'm not using SWP.GRP, didn't get an error about not having it tho. Is it important?

This post has been edited by Corvin: 14 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMark., on 14 June 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

OK. I removed the update so I'll reinstall it shortly and get the log.

Extract mmulti_netinit_test.exe into your SWP folder (it looks for swpbacktrace1.dll) and run it. Post mmulti_netinit_test.log here, and swp.crash.log if it makes one.

View PostCorvin, on 14 June 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

This is probably my 2nd time trying SWP, why is the voices play at once limited to 32 rather than 64?

JF increased it to 32. EDuke32 later increased it to 96 and then 256.

View PostCorvin, on 14 June 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

Plus the custom Voxels didn't load...

Could you package an example of this not working?
EDIT: I see you got them to work, nvm.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 14 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

User is offline   Mark 

There was a crashlog generated the first time because I did not let the "unknown" program access the internet. I decided to trust you and gave it access the second time. No crash log and here is the other log you requested. I found out my previous SWP crash was also due to the fact I did not let SWP access the internet. So ignore my previous crashlog from a few posts earlier. Sorry, but I had no idea that was part of your testing and by default I have my firewall set to deny internet access to programs unless I manually turn them on.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

The auto save game loading (probably actually saving) fails at about 4 times

Problem saving to: gamex.asv
- Loading saved game: game10
Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

so, eSW32 sounds awesome and what I've kinda been hoping for. Also been hoping for SWP to get finished up so that will be awesome. Can't wait for the finished product with a simple install like the previous versions.

I've tried using mapster32 for sw building and I'm pretty sure there was no way to input tag values higher than 2. Also no way to input the boolean flags. If I recall mapster has a 38% smaller scale. Seems to be the size difference between lo wang and duke.

The SWP editor is tolerable for me. It won't let me input a negative value, say for making a swing door swing a different direction. It also has an annoying bug that happens when coming back from testing a map or if you hit the escape key a bunch of times in 2d mode, entering and exiting the map load/save menu will also trigger the bug. I think it's worth saving. SWP and SWPbuild seem so very close to being finished up and I LOVE how they are free and also stay very true to the original game/editor.

This post has been edited by Robman: 14 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

User is offline   Jamesfff 

I'm getting a crash and the following in the log file trying to use the latest version of SWPBuild:

Initialising timer
initcache(): Initialised with 1048576 bytes
Setting video mode 1440x900 (32-bit fullscreen)
ERROR! - besto = 0 | newbytes = 752 | newlockptr = 200 | daval= 5ld
ERROR: CACHE SPACE (1) ALL LOCKED UP!
Uninitialising DirectDraw...
- Releasing DirectDraw object
- Unloading DDRAW.DLL
Uninitialising DirectInput...
- Releasing keyboard device
- Releasing mouse device
- Releasing DirectInput object
- Unloading DINPUT.DLL

What's going on?

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Robman, any idea what he's doing wrong, besides the high resolution?

@Hendricks266, how long approximately would you say a next update to SWP will be released, I'm eager.

And do you plan to fix SWPBuild so it operates correctly?

Thanks

• Weaponized Autism

SWP is low-priority.

ProAsm never released the source to SWPBuild. SWP's source builds the old JFSW Build editor.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Should someone contact him for the source?

Or is it he doesn't want it released?

I thought everyone is suppose to release those src's anyhow.

• Weaponized Autism

I just sent him an email but it bounced. ^_^

I noticed that he released a new Duke3dw on 2014-05-24, so it might just be his email.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Initialising timer
Setting video mode 1024x768 (8-bit windowed)
SwpBuild by ProAsm - Version 1.2 - Revision 331

- Releasing mouse device
- Unloading DINPUT.DLL
- Unloading DDRAW.DLL

This is how I have mine, works fine. Likely has to do with the resolution / bit like you said.
JamesFFF where did you get this "Latest" version? And what version is it?

- So, Ben (Proasm) is still active? .. I see he was quite active in the 3drealms forums but basically fell off the planet. It would be cool to speak with him.

This post has been edited by Robman: 05 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I sent Ben Smit/ProAsm a PM on the 3DR forums and also posted asking if he could release the SWPBuild Editor src. Hopefully he'll see it.

Now if his e-mail isn't working he might not get the PM until he visits the 3DR forums. All a waiting game now.

Robman:

It's version 1.2 - (freshly downloaded from http://swcentral.wee.../swpbuild12.zip) like the one you're using. And no-one said anything about the resolution / bit. And I'd prefer it to be fullscreen at the highest resolution my monitor will allow, which is what I have it set for.

Just tried it wiith 8bpp - got the following and a crash, as before:

Initialising timer
Setting video mode 1440x900 (8-bit fullscreen)
- Creating primary surface
- Getting back buffer
- Allocating offscreen buffer
- Creating palette
ERROR! - besto = 0 | newbytes = 752 | newlockptr = 200 | daval= 5ld
Palette set failed: DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS
Palette set failed: DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS
ERROR: CACHE SPACE (1) ALL LOCKED UP!
- Releasing palette
- Releasing back-buffer surface
- Releasing primary surface
- Freeing offscreen buffer
- Unloading DDRAW.DLL
- Releasing mouse device
- Unloading DINPUT.DLL

This post has been edited by Jamesfff: 24 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Did you try a lower resolution? You may have to run it windowed.

I have since gotten SWPBuild to run ok windowed, but I'd rather have it fullscreen.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I'm thinking window mode is better, not sure you need such a hi-res fullscreen as that will make everything look thicker when mapping. You'll throw everything off.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

@Hendricks266, Could you add back in when you quite, the TEN Images screen and the SWREG.BIN page?

Why you ask? some old tcs used them the advertise by modifying those screens, think the TEN page is an art tile.
Also why limit the game when you quite at not having those two screens used for anything a conversion would like.

Just a suggestion, other projects are higher on your priority, including other SWP fixes.

• Weaponized Autism

I can successfully build SWPBUILD using the source ProAsm provided on the 3DR forums.

View PostRobman, on 14 June 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

It won't let me input a negative value, say for making a swing door swing a different direction.

Fixed.

(Even now you can enter them, but you'll have to enter them in unsigned form. For example, if you want -1, enter 65535. -2, 65534. etc.)

View PostRobman, on 14 June 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

It also has an annoying bug that happens when coming back from testing a map or if you hit the escape key a bunch of times in 2d mode, entering and exiting the map load/save menu will also trigger the bug.

What exactly is the bug? Please describe it.

User is offline   Mark 

I tried just now and noticed that when going back to 2D mode after hitting P for playing the map I sometimes have to hit the esc key once or twice to regain mouse movement. Maybe thats what he means? I have to do the same thing( esc key once ) in Mapster so I'm used to it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

• Weaponized Autism

If anyone has any more requests or bug reports, ask now. I will release Beta 2 once I look at the aforementioned SWPBUILD issue.

View PostCorvin, on 26 June 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

@Hendricks266, Could you add back in when you quite, the TEN Images screen and the SWREG.BIN page?

I added an option in Game Settings to show the TEN screen.

EDuke32 doesn't even have any code to display DOS B800 text, so no to SWREG.BIN.

User is offline   Mark 

Not exactly a bug report unless you want to consider that I have been "bugging" you for probably close to 2 years to install the last 16 HRP tiles and 3 models I made that were lost during your takeover of the SWP project. I still have the files and the defs in case you lost track of them.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Thanks for the TEN screen.

Edit: Thought the BIN file would be an issue. Thanks for looking into it.

This post has been edited by Corvin: 05 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Oh wow, this is nice to see :P

Best I can describe that bug, is come back from testing a map and some things won't work or respond.. sometimes it won't even plant a sprite or it will but just not show it at the time. I just hit the esc key in 2d a few times and then go to enter 3dmode and it will glitch out and then 3d save/play/load menu will pop up.. I then click cancel on that and then all is fine again. The kicker is that this may not happen every time but most times it does bug out and you have to do that "procedure." It's like you have to reset something and then things go back to normal.

Thankyou for putting some attention towards these issues. The negative value thing will be a good fix as I would have never figured out to put 65535... 65534 etc... to get negative numbers.

This post has been edited by Robman: 05 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

User is offline   t800 

I noticed it just now so sorry for being so late (maybe I should frequent this forum more often, heh). Thank you very much Hendricks266 for continuing support and fixing SWP in meantime of deveIopment of Eduke SW, I greatly appreciete effort and willing to put your spare time in it (I cant even imagine how little you get any of it... I mean school, Deadly Kiss remake, your "3D Realms archives archeology") sincerely thanks. :P

I have little request for next version of your fork of SWP. SWP uses same mouse looking system as its base JFSW and original DOS SW which is IMO pretty clunky compared to more flexible and smooth one from Eduke32. Could this be integrated into it?
Also it would be great if you could add support for accuratete Field of view for wider widescreen aspect ratios (SWP supports only 4:3 and 16:10). Sorry if this is asking for too much, as I understand your main aim for this fork is just to temporarily fix and maintain SWP but it would be surely amazing if at least modern mouse looking system could be implemented in it.

BTW Dont you think this project deserves its own topic?

This post has been edited by t800: 13 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

• Weaponized Autism

I'm glad my work brings joy to others. :P

I'm afraid that request isn't "little" at all. There are an infinite number of requests that can be made. That one requires porting things over from EDuke32's engine code. It's not worth it to do something like that. I tried updating the engine code to JonoF's latest (since that what it used in the first place) and SWP crashed and burned all over the place.

Improved mouse should come with EDuke32-SW without extra effort beyond making the build process work.

• Weaponized Autism

SWP 4.3.3 Beta 2 and SWPBUILD 1.3 Beta 1 are out.

As usual there are improvements here and there. The editor is included now, and important compiler warnings have been fixed. The Vista and Win 7 crackly sound fix should be properly applied on Win 8 and up now. Editor tags support negative input. The Seppuku Car Hack and Ninja Slice Hack are now both disabled by default. Bloody HUD Darts should now display as intended. TEN screen option added. Loading a savegame no longer overwrites your settings with the settings at the time the game was saved. The backtrace DLL has been updated to match EDuke32.

I was unable to fix the various issues with 2D mode input in the editor. It's just not worth swimming through the spaghetti.

Let me know if there are any more bugs or crashes. Submitting crash logs is essential if you want a crash addressed. I'm happy to clean up small messes, but on the whole this is getting tedious.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options