Duke4.net Forums: Link 3D - WIP - A Voxelized LoZ - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Link 3D - WIP - A Voxelized LoZ

User is offline   Kyanos 

I started this little project a few months ago. I was extremely inspired and eager to make my very own LoZ. A huge-ish undertaking I knew but definitely do-able, with a little patience and determination. Now I've hit a pretty good snag. Try as I might, and trust me I've tried, I can't get that damn boomerang to come back. I mean just like in Zelda, I want it to always comeback to link carrying any sprites it's picked up. So now I'm frustrated yet still determined and patient. So I let it sit a week or two, and try to move on to other aspects of the project, art, maps... But no, I've lost it, I can't do this myself, well I could and will if I must, but some help would be awesome! So here it is, my wip Legend of Zelda TC, Link 3D. If this is interesting to you, and you have the con skills to help me over some of the higher hurdles please pm me or post here, maybe we can work together. If you like the art or map aspects involved and want in, there is more than enough work to go around.

[attachment=6733:Link3D.zip]

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Drek: 26 July 2016 - 05:02 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Whoa, I love it! I am constantly impressed by some of the more unconventional uses of EDuke32 like this. Are you going to turn it into something else when Nintendo sends you a C&D? ;)

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks, and Yeah I sort of figured nintendo wouldn't like it too much, but were pretty obscure here and I hope to sneak by under the radar. I doubt they have much authority over how I use my own scratch made voxels though. The music however...

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

this clone has been around for several years and nintendo hasn't gone after them, so i wouldn't worry too much

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/index.php

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

You should have just sent me a PM. I could have given you a few lines of code for it. Good to see you're making progress.

You definitely want to start with this.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks. My problem is with changing the velocity so the boomerang goes backwards. I'm not too sure exactly how the code sits now but I had a state in use called facelink. It's in ITEMS.CON I'm sure I was really close to having it work a few times but the trial and error method only got me so far. I have the rupy set up to be picked up with the boomerang and the two travel together, away from me ;)

• Evil Overlord

View PostDrek, on 24 May 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

Thanks. My problem is with changing the velocity so the boomerang goes backwards. I'm not too sure exactly how the code sits now but I had a state in use called facelink. It's in ITEMS.CON I'm sure I was really close to having it work a few times but the trial and error method only got me so far. I have the rupy set up to be picked up with the boomerang and the two travel together, away from me ;)

If the spinning is an animation it should really be as simple as facing the LINK actor and moving toward it (with move commands or use a bit of trig to get a velocity for movesprite, which would also work even if the spinning isn't an animation), and then setting the rupee to the boomerang's location. I'm sure that's what you already tried though...

• Evil Overlord

@Drek:

I can send you a fixed CON later tonight if you'd like (assuming I get some time in a little bit).

EDIT:

http://mb.mirage.org...k3D_changes.zip

Just edited a couple of lines and then redid the boomerang actor. Note that there's a hack so it finds walls and such. It's not perfect but because of how certain things are set up in the mod it was the best I could come up with off the top of my head on short notice (and the issues it has would probably go away if walls were given clipshapes, or could be programmed a bit differently/cleaner if the arrows weren't a projectile and didn't rely on cstat 256).

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks a million! I just woke up and downloaded that. What a morale boost, I'm excited to work on this again today.

• Evil Overlord

PM me if the code doesn't make much sense... I was tired when I wrote it and didn't comment it for you.

This is awesome! :P nicely done and thanks for sharing your test build ;) I'm looking forward to a demo one day :P Keep it up!

User is offline   Kyanos 

A demo is in the works, I've been working away in slab 6 making more art assets. I've also fine tuned my now working boomerang, it's picking up rupies and hearts now and bringing them back to link, (one at a time too, what a bitch that was.) My plans are to release a more playable demo by the end of summer. I'm thinking a small overworld with one complete dungeon, a boss, and of course a piece of the triforce.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Looks awesome, I can see a lot of potential in this. Have you posted your work on nintendo or zelda forums?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Yeah, I have put up pictures over at zelda forums. Just quietly in a back corner there. I didn't show them this mess here yet, waiting for a more complete demo before I really share it. It just dawned on me today as I was coding this that multiplayer is a possibility, I think that opens up huge potential, a modable, mappable, multiplayer 8bit 3d RPG. I spent the day coding in bombs. And the big item pickup animation.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Almost a year has passed and I've decided to post a little update here. This project is still very much alive and moving forward rather fast now. Just last night I finally got a working map cache system, meaning I can go from E1L1 (The Overworld) to any other level (Dungeons), and back again. Eduke32 saves the mapstate so it is exactly as I left it, plus some code that saves player specific gamevars to the .cfg file so that once the old mapstate gets loaded ammo, health, and other vars get overwritten with the current values from what happened in the dungeons.

This sits now with 90% of the code done, I just need to add a few more enemies, and some triggerable effects/doors. Oh, and a shop system... shouldn't be too too hard.

About 50% of the art is done, still have NPC's to do, and like I said above some more enemies, all voxels. Link has a voxel for every weapon, facing every cardinal direction, N S E W, and again for every weapon but now with the large shield, and another variation, every weapon with his blue suit, and again with red... 171 unique voxels make up the player, done.

Mapping sits at 0% with just test maps and samples, I do have a _clipshape0 map now, mapping is pretty fun and simple for this. A combination of sectors and voxels make up the environment.

All sounds are there, wav rips from the 80's. I'd like to find better .ogg remix' for the game music.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Posted Image

Quick update:
I've got Princess Zelda in now as a second player choice.
Coded a 4 directional camera rotation system.
A Northward pointing HUD compass, tied into the camera direction.
Rewrote all enemy code to no longer use ai system or move commands, all custom coded movesprite enemies for much more control in scripting.
All defineprojectile weapons gone, now using custom movesprite code like monsters and everything else.

quick to do list:
Fire, the candle, burning bushes, moving blocks, shop system, bombable walls/rocks.... most enemies

User is offline   Mark 

Drek said " Oh, and a shop system... shouldn't be too too hard."

Yea right...real easy, said the many con code noobs like myself. :)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 27 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMark., on 27 March 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Drek said " Oh, and a shop system... shouldn't be too too hard."

Yea right...real easy, said the many con code noobs like myself. :)

Well I plan to make a single shop sprite. It would use x,y,z vel in mapster on these shop sprites to give them a price, quantity, and picnum to spawn. I can use hitag/lotag then as an activator variable too if needed.
That would be sorted out in eventloadactor.
The actor code would use findnearactor to see if the player is nearby, making a quote appear and allowing the purchase to go through if player hits use.

Added: Here is the shop code I have, for now. It doesn't do much more than spawn the item once purchased, I need to manually place sprites in the map to show what's for sale, how much...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Drek: 28 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

User is offline   eGraphics 

Hey any update on this MOD? I'm working on the world map to same game and I would like to help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options