Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

This isn't the enhanced version Juris. This is the project I've been taking screenshots of, TerminalFury. I'm ditching the software renderer in it because it'll hold back development.

User is offline   Juris3D 

View PostDaedolon, on 19 July 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

I doubt this has any relevancy, but the visuals are strikingly similar (in my eyes anyway): http://www.virtuadv....tar_quest_1.php

Thanks for reminding this one. Sad that they didn't reach Kickstarter for "Star Quest 2" :)
While on topic about old games in "our" style, when I was writing here about my favorites next to "Terminal Velocity" (i mentioned "Crimson Skies", "Rogue Squadron 3D"), I forgot one important title: "Archimedean Dynasty" (original german "Schleichfahrt"). Later kind-of sequels (Aquanox) sucked. At one point there was remake project "Silent Depth", but I think it died (http://www.irrlicht3...ntry.php?id=229). Also there is this attempt: http://sourceforge.n.../schleichfahrt/

And here also somebody loved "Terminal Velocity" a lot:
http://www.phatcode....oads.php?id=132

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 19 July 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostJuris3D, on 19 July 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

Thanks for reminding this one. Sad that they didn't reach Kickstarter for "Star Quest 2" :)
While on topic about old games in "our" style, when I was writing here about my favorites next to "Terminal Velocity" (i mentioned "Crimson Skies", "Rogue Squadron 3D"), I forgot one important title: "Archimedean Dynasty" (original german "Schleichfahrt"). Later kind-of sequels (Aquanox) sucked. At one point there was remake project "Silent Depth", but I think it died (http://www.irrlicht3...ntry.php?id=229). Also there is this attempt: http://sourceforge.n.../schleichfahrt/

And here also somebody loved "Terminal Velocity" a lot:
http://www.phatcode....oads.php?id=132

On semi-related note - Microsoft's Deadly Tide was kinda made in same key, and as FMV games go - not that bad.

• Auramancer

Well, it was decided that OGRE wasn't fitting for the way TV's internals work. So, now I'm writing an OpenGL renderer from scratch. However, I have no fucking clue what I'm doing, is there anyone on this forum who has written a OpenGL renderer before?

Can you fit TRI's D3D renderer? I know it's way too outdated, but it could be a start.

Could be maybe "Descent" OpenGL remakes source codes of any help? D2X-XL and DXX-Rebirth ?
http://www.descent2.de/d2x-frames.html
http://www.dxx-rebir...ad-dxx-rebirth/

• Auramancer

I managed to find the original S3 ViRGE toolkit thanks to VOGONS. It should shed some light on things.

Hellbender had the code to the Terminal Velocity S3 ViRGE version still in it, but I didn't have the ViRGE SDK until now.

The old S3 Renderer is closer to OpenGL's syntax than Direct3D's. MUCH closer. The D3D Renderer is a nearly undecipherable mess (to me, at least).

Now, I should be able to translate things much easier.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 21 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 21 July 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

I managed to find the original S3 ViRGE toolkit thanks to VOGONS. It should shed some light on things...
The D3D Renderer is a nearly undecipherable mess (to me, at least)...
Now, I should be able to translate things much easier.

Good to hear! May the Force be with you with coding and programming! :)
By the way, about Hellbender. Is there maybe some in any way enhanced versions around right now? Just higher resolutions or whatever?

• Auramancer

Nope. Hellbender never had any re-releases, opening of the source, or anything. It was 640x480 Software or D3D only.

If you haven't played it though, I suggest you pick up a copy from eBay or Amazon. It's a fantastic game.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 21 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 21 July 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

If you haven't played it though, I suggest you pick up a copy from eBay or Amazon. It's a fantastic game.

I sure have it, I was just curious maybe there is a hack for higher resolutions, or some "retexturing project", etc. Back in time, when I fell in love with "TV" and "Fury3", I sure knew sequel is coming, so I waited for "Hellbender" a lot. I know you love it very much, but I must admit for me it was a bit letdown. I am not exactly sure why. I guess I was expecting the same "TV" atmosphere "only more stuff and better", but "Hellbender" felt quite different.

• Auramancer

Hellbender has much bigger emphasis on story, exploration, objectives, and tactics. It's deeper than TV. Atmosphere-wise, it was a lot more serious and gritty, in the way that it doesn't have the camp of the previous games. It really takes on an atmosphere akin to Star Wars.

Speaking of Hellbender, when I get to the point of porting it to this engine, I plan on adding some enhancements (hopefully to accommodate for some of the game's issues).

I'm a little further along with writing the renderer. I'm almost to the state where I'm able to start drawing polygons. Once I get it going I'll post screenshots.

By the way, Hellbender had a particle system, which I backported to Terminal Velocity (as seen in earlier screenshots of mine). Once I move to OpenGL, I'll be using this particle system: http://sourceforge.n...ts/sparkengine/

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 22 July 2015 - 01:27 AM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 22 July 2015 - 01:06 AM, said:

... I'm almost to the state where I'm able to start drawing polygons. Once I get it going I'll post screenshots.

I always wait here for "eye-candy" like that :) With hopes that some new "toys" to play will appear here too eventually :D

• Auramancer

Patience. It'll probably be a few weeks to a month or more before I get a build out to everyone. There's still a lot of work to do.

When it's ready, it'll look no different than the software renderer at first. Albeit with much better fog and texture precision. (Ie. No PSX-esque jittering texture coordinates.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 22 July 2015 - 04:54 AM

• Auramancer

I can't say this enough, I need someone on the team whom I can consult when it comes to OpenGL. I got the code written, and while it looks fine, it's crashing in the nvoglv32.dll file.

• Auramancer

Got wireframes rendering:

Posted Image

View PostStrikerMan780, on 22 July 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

Got wireframes rendering

Congrats! :)

Nice! :)

Alright here's a footage from early test of TVHD

As you can see it's not that great. UI is in its infancy, i still have no sound. But there are some things to look at.
First of all - dynamics. New dynamics include a bit of momentum for the craft. Not a whole lot, to not distract original model but some.
Also new daytime Ymir up-close.

• Auramancer

Posted Image

Got some shading going. Some light intensity values are clipping.

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 22 July 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

Alright here's a footage from early test of TVHD

Ho hoooo! Some action!! :) Very heart warming to see such progress. Are those mountains random fantasy, or somehow regenerated from original level heights? About view, I almost always play "from cockpit", first person view. In outside view, 3rd person view, like in this video, in many games is one problem, but probably hard to explain with my poor english. I am talking about some "stiffness", very unnatural stuck camera position. I think that virtual camera behind ship needs some kind of delay when ship turns, climbs, dives. So, on the screen we see ship manouver and then camera "catches up" to be behind ship again. Then, I think, 3rd person play can be enjoyable. About cockpit, any plans to add some, well, cockpit? I know "TV" doesn't have such view (probably no glass windows on that fighter at all, just some camera/monitor system), but in planes sim/action games I totally love cockpit view, even if that might be just couple of pieces of metal that holds cockpit glass (like I said - my poor english, sorry).

• Auramancer

Fixed the lighting issues.

Posted Image

That's impressive! So little time and so much progress.
StrikerMan780, interesting you mentioned S3 API is similar to OpenGL. People at Vogons will be very interested in your findings. We are looking forward to play Destruction Derby optimized for S3 in different cards. Someone there already made alternate versions that can bypass faulty CD and Diamond Stealth 2000 3D card detection.

• Auramancer

Just to show how similar, here are the functions for drawing vertex arrays:

S3:
pS3DTK_Funct->S3DTK_TriangleSet( pS3DTK_Funct, (ULONG*)vlistPtr, n, S3DTK_TRIFAN );

OpenGL:
glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLE_FAN, 0, n);

StrikerMan, when you do things, it is progressing so fast! I guess you just great at what you do :)
I wish you very little obstacles in progress!

View PostJuris3D, on 22 July 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

Ho hoooo! Some action!! :) Very heart warming to see such progress. Are those mountains random fantasy, or somehow regenerated from original level heights? About view, I almost always play "from cockpit", first person view. In outside view, 3rd person view, like in this video, in many games is one problem, but probably hard to explain with my poor english. I am talking about some "stiffness", very unnatural stuck camera position. I think that virtual camera behind ship needs some kind of delay when ship turns, climbs, dives. So, on the screen we see ship manouver and then camera "catches up" to be behind ship again. Then, I think, 3rd person play can be enjoyable. About cockpit, any plans to add some, well, cockpit? I know "TV" doesn't have such view (probably no glass windows on that fighter at all, just some camera/monitor system), but in planes sim/action games I totally love cockpit view, even if that might be just couple of pieces of metal that holds cockpit glass (like I said - my poor english, sorry).

Right now camera is already at delay, but at a very subtle one. On top of that - it also picks up ship rotation.
Cockpit is in works, i need to figure out how to make it look suitable.

I took original heightmap as basis, stretched it out, and then applied a long chain of adjustments to it namely erosion, thermal weathering, then erosion again.

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 23 July 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

Cockpit is in works, i need to figure out how to make it look suitable.

About cockpit inside view, for me, even couple of polygons like in this picture adds immersion feeling, illusion of being inside some machine:
http://www.mobygames...-enemy-mech.png
Of course, just like in real planes, view obstruction should be as minimal as possible. And there should be also some trick that imitates head motion (in reality i guess just those cockpit pillars slightly shaking, being not static in reference to "head").

View PostJuris3D, on 23 July 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

About cockpit inside view, for me, even couple of polygons like in this picture adds immersion feeling, illusion of being inside some machine:
http://www.mobygames...-enemy-mech.png
Of course, just like in real planes, view obstruction should be as minimal as possible. And there should be also some trick that imitates head motion (in reality i guess just those cockpit pillars slightly shaking, being not static in reference to "head").

Yea, but the problem is that you, personally, is a dedicated fan - you have a high tolerance for lower grade graphics and lower quality. General public however (even mid-core level) are gonna be much more ferocious towards it.

Do not worry about head motion imitation - i already have slight delay figured out for camera head position. Only thing left is to figure out just what the hell is cockpit gonna be.
Right now i am gonna go with mechwarrior online type of cockpit where yes cockpit is detailed, but you only see most of detail at startup sequence, and then you're mostly strapped closer to the window view with 3 pop-up holographic panels.

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 24 July 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

... but you only see most of detail at startup sequence, and then you're mostly strapped closer to the window view with 3 pop-up holographic panels.

I like that :)
About nice graphics in cockpit. I believe, since we all here aerial shooting enthusiasts, you probably know "Yager" game too. So, "Yager" has interesting cockpit glass effect. I like it, for niceness and "being there" feeling it really works. Maybe can be adapted here too. Speaking of "Yager", I imagined if take that game engine and assets, and make "TV"-like shooting fest - that would be some crazy good stuff! :D

• Auramancer

EDIT: Got stuff texturing properly for the most part. Some textures are scaled wrong, and some have fucked up perspective, but it's almost done!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 24 July 2015 - 04:34 AM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 24 July 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

EDIT: Got stuff texturing properly for the most part. Some textures are scaled wrong, and some have fucked up perspective, but it's almost done!

As I said before - your speed of coding progress is amazing! Seeing this picture feels so good :)

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options