Duke4.net Forums: corpses (dead enemies) from high texture pack are not covered in blood! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

corpses (dead enemies) from high texture pack are not covered in blood!

User is offline   frombrasil 

hi guys, since im from brasil , you will see lots of grammar mistakes in this topic ,so please dont mind that :)

anyway, im amazed with the HPR/polymer pack, it makes the game wonderful, but there is something that i would like to suggest on future patches (related to the amazing game gore! ) : the corpse of dead enemies like lizards, assaut commanders, bosses, etc are not nearly as cool as the sprite ones from the original duke 3d, cuz the sprite ones has disfiguration and lots of blood covering them ( like the crushed eyes from the dead lizard, the pool of blood when u kill a boss like the battlelord or overlord, etc).

The hpr corpses dont have all that cool stuff =(

thats my suggestion!

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It would be technically difficult to achieve anything more than a skin edit (read: the image on the 3D model, not the 3D model itself).

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

You could model some rudimentary "piles" of blood that "spill out" of the model upon death. It wouldn't look the best, though.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 June 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

You could model some rudimentary "piles" of blood that "spill out" of the model upon death. It wouldn't look the best, though.

That would look like crap if it was done wrong, i think a skin edit would be the best fix. Besides a skin edit is very simple.

I think everything in the HRP except the alien models look amazing. But the aliens just look like crap. I think it would be necessary to make them from scratch. Indeed it would be awesome with a little more blood, but that's not the only thing that needs to be changed :)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 24 June 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

I think everything in the HRP except the alien models look amazing. But the aliens just look like crap. I think it would be necessary to make them from scratch. Indeed it would be awesome with a little more blood, but that's not the only thing that needs to be changed :)

Yeah, some look really bad... like alf... er... i mean the pig cop :P

something really bothered me now:

the alien's (the birth episode) death animation, it shoud be like this:

Posted Image

but in the high texture pack , when the alien gets killed his chest doesnt "explode" like the sprite animation.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Death animations et al are limited by the technology of EDuke32 at the time when they were made. The people who made them may not be around much anymore or lost the original files.
At some point there was a gore mod out there but I don't know what happened to it. I think it was in some way incorporated into the HRP in a lesser form or eclipsed by DukePlus in some way.

Also, the monsters are much better than the babe models....the slime babes aren't bad, but they aren't as good as the monsters.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not to mention, 2D and 3D are very different artistic mediums and it's hard to transfer 2D to 3D and still have it look good sometimes. For example, I remember the Assault Trooper's death animation accounted for that.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

You can have blood on the models, you have to use a transparent sheet with the blood dots on it in front of the model. You can even put one under it after its dead to simulate a pool of blood.

Posted Image

I think that when those models were made, people were learning how to do stuff. I know I hadn't worked on a game before and I was learning as I was going. Remember as well that we were really limited on polycounts and that there was no Polymer back then.

All the old monsters are going to have to be redone. The good news is that people are working on new monsters at the moment. With the new tech and some experience, they can look a LOT better. Check out the new Overlord for an example.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMr.Flibble, on 22 July 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

Death animations et al are limited by the technology of EDuke32 at the time when they were made. The people who made them may not be around much anymore or lost the original files.

Also, the monsters are much better than the babe models....the slime babes aren't bad, but they aren't as good as the monsters.

View PostTea Monster, on 23 July 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

I think that when those models were made, people were learning how to do stuff. I know I hadn't worked on a game before and I was learning as I was going. Remember as well that we were really limited on polycounts and that there was no Polymer back then.

Sometimes it just comes down to the modeler's inexperience, although IIRC the Protector Drone was made by you Tea Monster, and you're the most professional modeler on the team.

View PostMr.Flibble, on 22 July 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

At some point there was a gore mod out there but I don't know what happened to it. I think it was in some way incorporated into the HRP in a lesser form or eclipsed by DukePlus in some way.

The Blood and Gore Pack was made by Dr. Kill and some other guy. It died long ago and I don't think either of them are active any more. The mod was a bit over-the top and not all the content was quality. That was eclipsed in some form by SD_Duke, which added some stuff but also had some directional problems. It was rendered obsolete by new features Hunter_rus added to EDuke32 itself (such as the ability to add frozen models just from the defs) and Duke Plus.

View PostTea Monster, on 23 July 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

All the old monsters are going to have to be redone. The good news is that people are working on new monsters at the moment. With the new tech and some experience, they can look a LOT better. Check out the new Overlord for an example.

Because of Polymer, we're really starting the HRP completely over. Everything made for Polymost must be redone for Polymer, with only a few minor exceptions such as menu, hud, and font textures, which have all been redone anyway. This is actually great, because not only does Polymer kick Polymost's ass, it will also solve the major problems the HRP has been criticized for: looking too cartoony, and oversaturation.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 23 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

thank you very much for the info guys :(

just one more question:

is there any way to play eduke with the old model enemies (sprites ) only? i mean, i want the maps and the objects and etc (duke's arm and weapons in first person) in high texture and all, i need only the enemies as sprites. ( i miss so much the enforcers cracked skulls, the bloody dead boar :( )

Do i have to change something in the "autoload" folder?

• Weaponized Autism

If you can find sprites.def, add a "// " (no quotes) at the beginning of the line that includes monsters.def.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm actually interested to see how the Polymer HRP will turn out. My buff has always been with the application of the technology, not the concept. I think Polymer provides the potential for a pseudo-authentic experience.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postfrombrasil, on 23 July 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

is there any way to play eduke with the old model enemies (sprites ) only? i mean, i want the maps and the objects and etc (duke's arm and weapons in first person) in high texture and all, i need only the enemies as sprites. ( i miss so much the enforcers cracked skulls, the bloody dead boar :( )

Yeah, sometimes I like to use that option as well. That's why I added it to DukePlus (download from the Fissile Materials link in my sig). In the DukePlus menu, select the "special effects" sub-menu, and set "show character models" to NO. Hi-res textures and all other models will still be on, but the enemies and babes will be rendered as sprites.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Hendricks266 - L2theking made the Drone and animated him. I just optimized his mesh, and to be honest, I didn't do that much to it IIRC. Oh, and that was about six years ago!

View PostDeeperThought, on 24 July 2011 - 01:15 AM, said:

Yeah, sometimes I like to use that option as well. That's why I added it to DukePlus (download from the Fissile Materials link in my sig). In the DukePlus menu, select the "special effects" sub-menu, and set "show character models" to NO. Hi-res textures and all other models will still be on, but the enemies and babes will be rendered as sprites.

ive googled it and ive found it! http://forum.gog.com...the_old_sprites
Its easier this way:

Make a directory called "highres" inside the Duke3D main directory, create a file called "sprites.def" in notepad and enter this inside it:
include highres/sprites/build.def
include highres/sprites/characters.def
include highres/sprites/decals.def
include highres/sprites/effects.def
include highres/sprites/firstperson.def
include highres/sprites/jibs.def
// include highres/sprites/monsters.def
include highres/sprites/pickups.def
include highres/sprites/projectiles.def
include highres/sprites/props.def
include highres/sprites/signs.def
include highres/sprites/switches.def
It's the same stuff the HRP includes by default, just the monster model definition file is quoted out so they show up as sprites.

btw thanks a lot hendrick! ^^

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options