Duke4.net Forums: P.R. agency responsible for DNF threatens reviewers... - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

P.R. agency responsible for DNF threatens reviewers...

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#61

View PostTX, on 17 June 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

It's almost not even worth wasting my time replying to this because you're clearly just taking whatever meaning you want to take out of what I write instead of reading and comprehending what I clearly stated the meaning behind my words was. Oh well. Seriously, what you're saying is so far from anything I'm thinking that it's not even funny. I'm actually kind of speechless and REALLY not sure how you came to the conclusion that I think (...)
Welcome to the Internet!
0

User is offline   Person of Color 

  • Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

#62

Alright, this is getting out of hand.

To enjoy Duke you need to be able to enjoy and embrace the uber macho male who loves guns, money, and pussy.

That does not sound like any gay guy I know. This is a very simple concept.

I you can't appreciate Duke as a character you won't like the game. Plain and simple.

I live on Long Island, and I'm surrounded by gays. I live about an hour an fifteen minutes from Greenwich Villiage and I've been there many times, so I have more exposure to gay people than most people on this forum. Hell, I have a friend who is transgendered for fucks sake.

Cut the politically correct crap. TX is right, the odds of a gay guy enjoying DNF are far lower than someone who enjoys greasy pink tacos.

This post has been edited by Descent: 17 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

1

User is offline   Hank 

#63

View PostHelel, on 16 June 2011 - 08:44 PM, said:

Give us some links please. I want to read that. :P


Not sure if this is still what you want

http://adland.tv/con...-over-bad-tweet with it you can do all sorts of cross references on twitter

Also, to all those defending Redner - Like Balls of Steel? lol - more like brains of steel, what are you gonna do with Forbes? Cancel the subscription?
http://blogs.forbes....artner=yahootix

Never threaten anyone. Those trolls on IGN, and what not, have now, thanks to moron Redner, credibility. http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#64

Geez. I wish we could live in a world where when the slightest bit of criticism is made on a gay person the world doesn't immediately scream "GAY-BASHER!" We've gone from one extreme to the other. It's pathetic. If you're trying to fight for their equality you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

Anyway, I'm all for free press as long as that press is objective, which in DNF's case it definitely isn't. It's that simple, really. I'm with TX.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

2

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #65

Thanks for the support, Descent and MusicallyInspired. It's nice to know there are still people capable of reading what I actually wrote and understanding the point I was making instead of just reading whatever they wanted to read. Social commentary != hate.
0

User is offline   Twig 

#66

But he didn't at any point say that his sexuality is the issue of his non-enjoyment of Duke. He just said that he doesn't like the Duke's presentation there intellectually, it has nothing to do with his sexuality. He didn't make a issue of it. Also, what is there in DNF that is so overtly anti-gay? Or do you really think that being gay is being offended by (poor-poor) jokes about penis and vagina sex? I'm quite soor 99% of gays don't have any problem with heterosexuality, it just exists for them, as do their own. You put the equation there.
0

User is offline   Twig 

#67

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 June 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

Geez. I wish we could live in a world where when the slightest bit of criticism is made on a gay person the world doesn't immediately scream "GAY-BASHER!" We've gone from one extreme to the other. It's pathetic. If you're trying to fight for their equality you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

Anyway, I'm all for free press as long as that press is objective, which in DNF's case it definitely isn't. It's that simple, really. I'm with TX.


If he would have critizided a gay person on the basis of him being a bad reviewer, than I had no problem with it, as long as his critisism would be justified. But he didn't criticize his review, he directly pointed out that he is gay and therefor, his oppinion on the matter is not relevant. Never did I scream "GAY-BASHER" but you yourself did overreact - just expose some dehumanizing (and lumping someone in a group instead os respecting their individuality is dehumanization for me) of a gay person and immedately it means I think that gay people can't be under any scrutiny. Of course they can but in this case it was nothing but a try to invalidate a perfectly reasonable review (that didn't mention gay sexuality in any way).
0

User is offline   Twig 

#68

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 June 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

Anyway, I'm all for free press as long as that press is objective, which in DNF's case it definitely isn't. It's that simple, really. I'm with TX.


And how would you actually realize this objective press. Saying that "I liked the humour of DNF", "I didn't like the humour of DNF", "The gunplay was solid in DNF" and "The gunplay was awful in DNF" are all subjective term. Hell, even a simple thing like "the game was short" can be a subjective thing, because what some feel as too short may be too long for others. Humans are subjective, idiolectic beings, you can't really take that away from them, yes, a reviewer can and should point out what works and doesn't it a game but it will be always shaded by subjectivity. After all, a review doesn't only offer the facts but also the oppinions on the matter. So what would a objective review be like? "It has 10 guns, 22 levels, 10 different enemies", it would be justdry counting of facts, the thing that gives colour to the review IS reviewers subjective essence.

Also, good-bye to opinion pieces and essays because all that press is allowed are cold-hard facts and journalists should only be ideally recording machines :P

This post has been edited by Twig: 17 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

0

User is offline   Ronin 

#69

View PostTwig, on 17 June 2011 - 01:35 PM, said:

If he would have critizided a gay person on the basis of him being a bad reviewer, than I had no problem with it, as long as his critisism would be justified. But he didn't criticize his review, he directly pointed out that he is gay and therefor, his oppinion on the matter is not relevant. Never did I scream "GAY-BASHER" but you yourself did overreact - just expose some dehumanizing (and lumping someone in a group instead os respecting their individuality is dehumanization for me) of a gay person and immedately it means I think that gay people can't be under any scrutiny. Of course they can but in this case it was nothing but a try to invalidate a perfectly reasonable review (that didn't mention gay sexuality in any way).

What would you think if a woman reviewed DNF and found it discusting? My girlfriend who likes GTA finds DNF discusting and annoying with you being able to pick up shit and the brutality shown to women in the game, not to mention that the women in the game are 2D Pasis Hilton knockoffs. Many gay men are more simiar to women in how they view things especially their senitivity, not all of them of course but many.

Its an offencive game to some no doubt, but that is no reason to hammer it so hard in the review and ignore all that was great about the game.

If anyone is offended by DNF they just shouldnt play it and while they are at it they should harden the fuck up.
1

User is offline   Twig 

#70

View PostRipemanewone, on 17 June 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

What would you think if a woman reviewed DNF and found it discusting? My girlfriend who likes GTA finds DNF discusting and annoying with you being able to pick up shit and the brutality shown to women in the game, not to mention that the women in the game are 2D Pasis Hilton knockoffs. Many gay men are more simiar to women in how they view things especially their senitivity, not all of them of course but many.

Its an offencive game to some no doubt, but that is no reason to hammer it so hard in the review and ignore all that was great about the game.

If anyone is offended by DNF they just shouldnt play it and while they are at it they should harden the fuck up.


I'm sure russian skinheads also say that if anybody doesn't liek what they do then they should not pay attention or harden the fuck up. If a woman would review DNF and find it discusting then she would have every right to do it, because the jokes in DNF are really done in poor manner, and the hive bit really comes of as hostile. "You're fucked!" ? That was just mean-spirited, whatever joke they visioned in it just failed. And most of DNF jokes are just spewing movie-quotes. that's prety much the level of Epic Movie "humour", just reference a lot but don't do anything clever with it.

And you really don't even worry and try to understand why your own girlfriend has problem with it? Don't you just brush it off as women problem.
0

User is offline   Ronin 

#71

View PostTwig, on 17 June 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'm sure russian skinheads also say that if anybody doesn't liek what they do then they should not pay attention or harden the fuck up. If a woman would review DNF and find it discusting then she would have every right to do it, because the jokes in DNF are really done in poor manner, and the hive bit really comes of as hostile. "You're fucked!" ? That was just mean-spirited, whatever joke they visioned in it just failed. And most of DNF jokes are just spewing movie-quotes. that's prety much the level of Epic Movie "humour", just reference a lot but don't do anything clever with it.

And you really don't even worry and try to understand why your own girlfriend has problem with it? Don't you just brush it off as women problem.

Actually I do understand why she has a problem with it, the same reason I have a problem with shows like Sex and the City and The Hills becuase they do not appeal to what I consider fun, funny, interesting in my brain. That stuff in The Hive was dark but I like dark shit so Im ok with that. My girlfriend saw the picking up of crap and she refused to look at it again said it made her feel sick, she didnt see the funny side of it, she thought it was stupid and immature mean while I have a grin like The Cheshire Cat as I make towels go from white to brown. To me humiliating enemys and insulting them with crass oneliners is interesting entertainment and Duke is the only game that can get this sort of nonsense, outdated I dont care Im 30 and becoming outdated more as each year passes.

SFW if some of the gags seem mean spirited, do you want us all to hold hands and cry together at the loss of 2 of the most annoying characters I had the misfortune to ever see in a game, ha I laughed my ass off at that, and Im no sick psycopath, even though I can be when I want to be.

As for the Russian skin heads, DNF isnt hurting anyone or ruining anyones life (unless you play it too much) it is just a form of art, where as the skin head nazis are activly fucking peoples lives up, so the comment really needs to be taken in the right context.
All we are short of is protests about DNF, jeez even the Gearbox forums are full to the brim of complainers, I ask, why waste your time complaining about something that has nothing to do with you, you didnt have to buy it, you dont have to play it so why is it so annoying that some people play and like this damn game.

Im kind off glad that DNF is having an effect on people, good or bad that is what art is meant to do.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 17 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

0

User is offline   Twig 

#72

View PostRipemanewone, on 17 June 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Actually I do understand why she has a problem with it, the same reason I have a problem with shows like Sex and the City and The Hills becuase they do not appeal to what I consider fun, funny, interesting in my brain. That stuff in The Hive was dark but I like dark shit so Im ok with that. My girlfriend saw the picking up of crap and she refused to look at it again said it made her feel sick, she didnt see the funny side of it, she thought it was stupid and immature mean while I have a grin like The Cheshire Cat as I make towels go from white to brown. To me humiliating enemys and insulting them with crass oneliners is interesting entertainment and Duke is the only game that can get this sort of nonsense, outdated I dont care Im 30 and becoming outdated more as each year passes.

SFW if some of the gags seem mean spirited, do you want us all to hold hands and cry together at the loss of 2 of the most annoying characters I had the misfortune to ever see in a game, ha I laughed my ass off at that, and Im no sick psycopath, even though I can be when I want to be.

As for the Russian skin heads, DNF isnt hurting anyone or ruining anyones life (unless you play it too much) it is just a form of art, where as the skin head nazis are activly fucking peoples lives up, so the comment really needs to be taken in the right context.
All we are short of is protests about DNF, jeez even the Gearbox forums are full to the brim of complainers, I ask, why waste your time complaining about something that has nothing to do with you, you didnt have to buy it, you dont have to play it so why is it so annoying that some people play and like this damn game.

Im kind off glad that DNF is having an effect on people, good or bad that is what art is meant to do.



Now DNF is not nor aspired to be a work of art. Only a blockbuster entertainment.

Ofcourse people who get enjoment out of the game have the right for it. Hell, it's good that from such a long development hell came something that offers joy to people. That said, people who didn't like some parts of it have the very same right to not like it and be as vocal about it. No, the fact that DNF is out there doesn't ruin my sleep but I'm sad that DNF became just an unambitious ordinary shooter. But what I do fight against is invalidating views on something only because they are negative and when it's done in such a backward way.

And yes, the nazi example was extreme but it was to point out that just saying "you aren't cut out to what we do" and then demand to "tough up!" doesn't work in any way. Nobody of us lives in a bubble that's devoid of different views of life. You just can't go "my way or highway" but that's just asocial. We all share one existanse, it would be pretty arrogant not to respect the difference.

Saying "I like DNF" is your difference and you're completely entitled to it. But now denying someones negative opinion and pointing out him being gay as a reason his opinion isn't worth anything is nothing but an attack on person. As I said, noone of us lives in a bubble, as much as you have the right to like DNF and be vocal about it (I think Duke4.net's frontpage cherry-picking of positive reviews as only reviews that matter constitutes of this) but then a person that has not much personal interest in dukeisms has the same right to pick up the game, give a negative opinion about it and be vocal about it.
0

User is offline   Kathy 

#73

View PostDescent, on 17 June 2011 - 08:32 AM, said:

Alright, this is getting out of hand.

To enjoy Duke you need to be able to enjoy and embrace the uber macho male who loves guns, money, and pussy.

That does not sound like any gay guy I know. This is a very simple concept.

If you can't appreciate Duke as a character you won't like the game. Plain and simple.

That's a shitty game then if its foundation is standing only on character. In Duke3d removing the character wouldn't change that much in terms of gameplay, level design etc. The game would still stand tall even without one-liners and Duke's attitude. Voice/character just added a flavour.

Also, Duke Nukem as a character isn't liked in many "straight guy" reviews. I really don't see any relevance in him being gay for not liking the game when other straight reviewers don't like the game on the same reasons as him. Either they are gay also or his review isn't some gay-influenced opinion.
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#74

Just because non-gay people say the same thing doesn't the reasons behind those opinions are the same. Just sayin'.
0

#75

View PostHelel, on 17 June 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

That's a shitty game then if its foundation is standing only on character. In Duke3d removing the character wouldn't change that much in terms of gameplay, level design etc. The game would still stand tall even without one-liners and Duke's attitude. Voice/character just added a flavour.

Also, Duke Nukem as a character isn't liked in many "straight guy" reviews. I really don't see any relevance in him being gay for not liking the game when other straight reviewers don't like the game on the same reasons as him. Either they are gay also or his review isn't some gay-influenced opinion.


I think the character isn't really of this time, they are all used to the serious and depressing characters.
Lets see how Serious Sam 3 will work out as a character.
0

User is offline   Person of Color 

  • Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

#76

View PostHelel, on 17 June 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

That's a shitty game then if its foundation is standing only on character. In Duke3d removing the character wouldn't change that much in terms of gameplay, level design etc. The game would still stand tall even without one-liners and Duke's attitude. Voice/character just added a flavour.

Also, Duke Nukem as a character isn't liked in many "straight guy" reviews. I really don't see any relevance in him being gay for not liking the game when other straight reviewers don't like the game on the same reasons as him. Either they are gay also or his review isn't some gay-influenced opinion.


I don't even know why I'm replying to this. First off, no game relies solely on a character to be high quality. I can put Al Pacino in Superman IV and it will still suck llama dick. The same goes for video games.

If you dislike a character, actor, voice, etc. heavily enough it will detract from the enjoyment significantly. The same goes for any other form of media.

I don't give a shit if plenty of straight people hate DNF. That reviewer was selected most likely because he hates the game, and hates Duke Nukem in general. Why? Because in 2011, it's a requirement for the gaming press to be as dependable and reliable as your local neighborhood drug dealer, and just as easily influenced by cash.

How can you say being gay isn't a factor? It's a different culture! It's a less masculine, more feminine, more mature and intelligent culture! Whats your argument? Plenty of straight people hate it too? Bro, only ten percent of people are gay. OF COURSE there will be more straight people hating it! That doesn't mean it isn't a factor in this one review! It means fuck all. It's a number. A statistic. That's your fucking defense?

What is this, 1996? When the hell did political correctness become fashionable again? Look, if you're going to try to sound like the smartest guy in the room, make sure you are the smartest guy in the room first.

This post has been edited by Descent: 18 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

2

User is offline   Hank 

#77

butting in
http://www.xentax.com/?p=303

Some game reviewers are simply wrong. I think, we are so drawn to negativity, it (what the fuckers wrote) became the news instead of the object, DNF.

We should abolish the critic shit, and redo Demo - Game only.

This post has been edited by Hank: 18 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

2

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #78

View PostHank, on 18 June 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

butting in
http://www.xentax.com/?p=303

Some game reviewers are simply wrong. I think, we are so drawn to negativity, it (what the fuckers wrote) became the news instead of the object, DNF.

We should abolish the critic shit, and redo Demo - Game only.

Heh, we're totally posting this on the front page. Thanks for the link!
0

#79

View PostHank, on 18 June 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

butting in
http://www.xentax.com/?p=303

Some game reviewers are simply wrong. I think, we are so drawn to negativity, it (what the fuckers wrote) became the news instead of the object, DNF.

We should abolish the critic shit, and redo Demo - Game only.

What the hell at this coincidence.
So I am registered on the xentax forums since 2008 and I didn't visit that forum SINCE 2008 and even forgot it's name and my bookmarks of it were completely gone anyway.
So after 1 minute of squeezing my brain for the name of that forum and not being able to remember it I actually come to this topic and find people talking about xentax just seconds after giving up on trying remembering it's name...
Now that's a coincidence!

I wanted to go there to check that place for any potential app that might unpack and repack the .dat files for DNF OTHER than the noesis app made by Rich.
I actually found Rich posting about noesis there and I guess he pretty much runs the entire DNF content scene at this point.
If we want to mod dnf we need to bet on Rich to get his repacker done.


Also on topic.
I think that article does a really damn good job of proving how DNF is a bullshit detector in the review world.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 18 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

#80

View PostDescent, on 18 June 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

If you dislike a character, actor, voice, etc. heavily enough it will detract from the enjoyment significantly. The same goes for any other form of media.

The same goes for liking the character. So... you must give this game to review only to people who feel neitral towards Duke's attitude?

Quote

How can you say being gay isn't a factor? It's a different culture! It's a less masculine, more feminine, more mature and intelligent culture! Whats your argument?

Why the hell he gave The Witcher 2 a 9/10 then? In the first game the character is a straight alpha-male type. I suspect the second one has the same character.

Quote

What is this, 1996? When the hell did political correctness become fashionable again? Look, if you're going to try to sound like the smartest guy in the room, make sure you are the smartest guy in the room first.

What political correctness? I'm saying that singling out one "bad" reviewer out of many just because he's gay is fishy. I mean, the ONLY REASON(because I haven't seen another one) he gave the game bad score is his sexual orientation, right? There is nothing in his review that confirms that. He's actually saying that there was not enough sexual content in the strip bar. And he didn't mean it in "no male strippers" sense.

And either way reviews are subjective. All reviewers give their personal opinions. Yes, their reviews then aren't worth shit, but that's just the way it is. Some movie sites have technical reviews of blurays and dvds. Those can be seen as objective, but still most of the other reviews are subjective opinions. Ebert is a respected critic, but his reviews are subjective.
The same goes in the video game media. Are there any sites with technical reviews of video games? Not the ones just comparing console versions but reviews on the basic of graphics, sound, controlling etc.? Because I would love myself to read those since reviews about the story, characters and artistic merit of the game don't interest me either.

Quote

OF COURSE there will be more straight people hating it!

You are right here. I was wrong by simply saying that "straight reviewers also hate it".

This post has been edited by Helel: 19 June 2011 - 12:35 AM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

#81

View PostHank, on 18 June 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

butting in
http://www.xentax.com/?p=303
Some game reviewers are simply wrong. I think, we are so drawn to negativity, it (what the fuckers wrote) became the news instead of the object, DNF.

Man... I'm gonna be again in a minority on this one, but this article is pure and utter bullshit. I'll explain!!! First of all they gave their own "review/score" of the game by saying "game deserves somewhere between 65% and 70% as a score". And based on that they are rating other reviews. But that's not the thing. The main thing is that we don't have an industry ubiquitous rating system. Some give score out of 100%, some give stars out of 5, some give score out of 10. Some sites use the whole scale of 10 giving scores below 5 more frequently than other sites. And that's not even mentioning the arguments in reviews. And you posted this crap on the main site... ;)

That is why I think any metacritic or gamerankings are crap is you're taking them seriously. And xentax is basically doing the same, but worse since it has his own uber score to review other's score.

And the last one. WHY THE FUCK ARE WE DISCUSSING SOME STUPID NUMBERS? Reviewers made some points about the game yet we still go on discussing "4/10 is too low". Shit, your definition of 4/10 might be different from reviewers. For all I know 5/10 is fucking average. AVERAGE. Anyway, whatever.

Does anyone remember when KillZone was scoring 10/10, 5/5 from most of the sites when Edge gave the game a favorable 7/10 and the hell broke lose? 7/10 and people were pissed off. It was hilarious! I think the industry rating system(when there is not one but several for each site) is really making the whole thing worse. People aren't even reading reviews, but just look for a score. And the same shit is going on here.

P.S. And just to be clear. I had a BLAST playing the game in single player. The game has its problems, but I loved it anyway.
1

User is offline   coheed82 

#82

Hah, ive been following this thread for abit, thought i'd add afew words.
it's fucking unbelievable that the P.R guys can threaten reviewers.. WTF are they trying to prove? Oh our game is so perfect, this that whatever* we buy the game and what do we get? less than perfect. a far cry from our imaginations of what this should've been after 12 fucking years. this "you better give us a 8/10+ or else" approach is BS. we at the end of the day, the gamers, we make our own desicions, and when we tell the world just how the score should be, fuck p.r fuck whatever stands between us and getting the truth out there. the whole 'hitler regime' way isn't going to contain the truth that this game is not a 10/10 seller. Good fucking luck trying to convince the entire internet community especially the people who havent played this yet to go "oh this is better than DN3D"..

So there's afew Higher-ups trying to lie out their a** , or they get a *** to review a game that has a lewd portrayal of women to all be strippers or girls with an iq of 40.. It's a fucking GAME. and ya know what im fucking glad the game has what it does in it. i love games that push the envelope & bring to the table the stuff we want to see.. the stuff that some think is sick, depraved, or crossing the line. in my opinion there is NO line. not when it comes to games. Fuck the Classification board too, there are people on that too old and religious to even be open to the idea of sex/violence as "fun" in videogames. the things i'd like to see Push what dnf became by @ least 90x more than that. It's an adults game, with adult materials, adult references, and to be judged by people who are against this stuff well from the outset the chance of getting great reviews from certains groups of people is flawed, or impossible.

As far as bullying for a good review, shove that up your ***.
though hey, i think that the COD games getting very high scores is fucked, is that series really so good? i finish those games in less than a day. the games that should get high reviews in my opinion are these series : RESIDENT EVIL, TOMB RAIDER, FINAL FANTASY, METAL GEAR SOLID, DUKE NUKEM, MIGHT & MAGIC, FARCRY etc. these are the games that as far as im concerned Revolutionized the video game industry. Do the P.R guys and the fake reviewers really think we are that gullable??

i guess they do.
But ya know what, we are NOT! i for one only buy the games that take my fancy, including the above series ive mentioned.. and no one, Fucking No one is going to turn me off them by a fucking score, we know whats good and what sucks. yes sometimes ill go out and get a game i havent followed, but even then it usually turns out to be fucking awesome even when its gotten bad reviews.

:D p.s dear P.R's.. FUCK OFF. ;)

This post has been edited by coheed82: 19 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

0

User is offline   WedgeBob 

#83

It's a dictatorship that these PR companies are pressing on these reviewers here...I don't buy this. There is this thing called "freedom of opinion" out there, maybe these PRs should try that sometime.
0

User is offline   Kathy 

#84

I would advise you to look in the dictionary what "dictatorship" means before saying that bullshit.
0

User is online   X-Vector 

#85

View PostHelel, on 19 June 2011 - 01:03 AM, said:

Man... I'm gonna be again in a minority on this one, but this article is pure and utter bullshit. I'll explain!!! First of all they gave their own "review/score" of the game by saying "game deserves somewhere between 65% and 70% as a score". And based on that they are rating other reviews. But that's not the thing. The main thing is that we don't have an industry ubiquitous rating system. Some give score out of 100%, some give stars out of 5, some give score out of 10. Some sites use the whole scale of 10 giving scores below 5 more frequently than other sites. And that's not even mentioning the arguments in reviews. And you posted this crap on the main site... ;)


The fandom slant at Duke4 is really getting preposterous.
There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about the franchise, but distorting critical reception and posting a ridiculous article such as the Xentax one doesn't leave much credibility and simply taints the image of this site.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#86

View PostWedgeBob, on 19 June 2011 - 04:41 AM, said:

It's a dictatorship that these PR companies are pressing on these reviewers here...I don't buy this. There is this thing called "freedom of opinion" out there, maybe these PRs should try that sometime.

It's not "dictatorship", it's more like "manipulation of statistics" (i.e. only sending the game for reviews that earlier gave it below 5/10)

This post has been edited by Fox: 19 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

0

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

#87

View PostX-Vector, on 19 June 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:

The fandom slant at Duke4 is really getting preposterous.
There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about the franchise, but distorting critical reception and posting a ridiculous article such as the Xentax one doesn't leave much credibility and simply taints the image of this site.


Give it some time. I've seen similar websites/communities go through the same thing many times before. They will either burn out and leave forever in a rage, or they'll grow up a bit and start thinking logically on their own. Reality usually takes several months to set in. Living in denial takes up far too much energy.
0

User is offline   Hank 

#88

butting in again
Redner speaks out. While I still disagree with his actions, he raises yet again the obvious problem with those critics.
Did those critics actually play the game?

http://kotaku.com/58...ired-speaks-out

@ Helel - yes the article was a stretcher. What of it? I did not expect it to get to the front page. But I'm with Yatta and TX 100 percent. Sue me. The critics are not fair to Duke, why would I or a fan site be to the haters of DNF? Some waited for years for this game? And now they get trolled by morons at IGN and Gamespot? Fuck them.

View PostX-Vector, on 19 June 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:

The fandom slant at Duke4 is really getting preposterous.
There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about the franchise, but distorting critical reception and posting a ridiculous article such as the Xentax one doesn't leave much credibility and simply taints the image of this site.

Give me one profound quote worth repeating, from those trolls. I offered that now for the third time, no one gives a response. the game was over hyped for over a decade by 3D Realms. It's the critics fault to fall into this intellectual trap, not the gamers. I'm new to Duke. I see it as an above average game. It sucks with technical aspects and the lack of modding tools, but as a game itself is OK.

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

1

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#89

I wonder how much of the negative reviews are due to performance issues on the console ports? I have heard that load times on the consoles are long, and frame rate is lower. I imagine that controls are probably worse, too. At PC Gamer, they gave the PC version an 80. IGN reviewed the Xbox version and gave it 5.5 out of 10 (and they did mention the performance issues). If a game already has flaws, performance issues can have a big impact on how it is perceived. Maybe gearbox should have released the PC version a week earlier than the consoles, so they would have been forced to review that one.
1

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

#90

They should have released the console versions 6 months later to make sure they run flawlessly. Unfortunately, it would have been marketing suicide after spending millions hyping the game for too long already.
0

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options