Duke4.net Forums: P.R. agency responsible for DNF threatens reviewers... - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

P.R. agency responsible for DNF threatens reviewers...

User is offline   Alithinos 

#1

P.R. agency called "Redner" threatened reviewers who give DNF a score less than average.
They said they will not send them games to review in the future again, for those that gave it a score lower than 5.


http://www.escapistm...ver-Bad-Reviews


http://twitter.com/#.../therednergroup

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 15 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

0

User is offline   ReaperMan 

#2

Talk about butt hurt.
1

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#3

Regardless of how the game was reviewed, it's hardly a good PR move (ironically enough) to criticize, let alone threaten, reviewers for voicing their opinions.
1

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

#4

/facepalm that is just stupid , time to Fire that company does not sound like that understand how P.R. works :/
1

#5

Better article: http://arstechnica.c...ive-reviews.ars

It was pretty clear to me - sites that were excessively unreasonable or harsh in their reviews wouldn't be getting new games to review.

I've seen a lot of unfounded complaints about the game, and a lot of excessively negative reviews.

You know what? DNF isn't a bad game. It's too short, yes, but graphically and gameplay wise I enjoyed it, especially compared to most games from the last few years.
0

User is offline   Hank 

#6

Only a moron would give IGN a game to review. Yet, only a moron would say it out load.
technically off-topic, voted Quote of the Day by Randy
http://www.shacknews...anchor_26098147
1

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#7

View PostHank, on 15 June 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

technically off-topic, voted Quote of the Day by Randy
http://www.shacknews...anchor_26098147


Says a lot about Randy.
0

User is offline   Hank 

#8

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 15 June 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

Says a lot about Randy.

Yep, but I could not resist. You are sharp! http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
0

User is offline   Engel220 

#9

2K just disowned them, good move really.
1

User is offline   Yatta 

  • Pizza Lawyer

  #10

If I were Jim Redner I'd share his feelings completely. Bashing DNF is a bandwagon that reviewers have an easy time jumping on because the game is different enough from what is mainstream for them to see it as an easy target.

I'm having fun in the 2-3 hours I've played the game so far. I just wanted a fun game and I got it.
6

User is offline   Hank 

#11

View PostEngel220, on 15 June 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

2K just disowned them, good move really.

They really had no choice. The Stocks are still falling, and shit like that is the last thing Gearbox or 2K needs. Oh, well, next. http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif
0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #12

You know what? Aside from the massive apologies, I support Redner's view entirely. People who write a bad review just for the sake of hopping on the bandwagon and bashing a game because it's the "in" thing to do don't deserve future review copies of games. Why should a company give a reviewer something for free after the last game they were given was just shat all over? These reviews are a disaster, they're pretty clearly inaccurate to anyone who has actually played the game and they have a damaging effect on the game's bottom line.

So, even though this guy made the mistake of getting pissed off and publicly announcing these idiots would be blacklisted from reviewing future games, I'm pretty sure that blacklisting isn't going away. People who just want to make stuff up to bash a game because reviewing it poorly is the popular thing to do can blow it out their ass.
7

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#13

I hate the gaming industry. It's all classic/retro and indie for me from now on. I'm fed up with it all. It's all politics and two-faced-ness. It's disgusting and sickening and I don't like it.
5

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#14

While the reviews do seems to be innacurate, that seems to be a very immature reaction.

If you develop a videogame, there will be reviews, also bad ones. Much like if you are a candidate for president the midia will be after you and bash you if say something inappropriate.

And seriously, only for those who gave them game a review lower than 5? They really expect to increase their rating on reviews with that?

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

0

User is offline   Honza 

#15

View PostTX, on 15 June 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

You know what? Aside from the massive apologies, I support Redner's view entirely. People who write a bad review just for the sake of hopping on the bandwagon and bashing a game because it's the "in" thing to do don't deserve future review copies of games. Why should a company give a reviewer something for free after the last game they were given was just shat all over? These reviews are a disaster, they're pretty clearly inaccurate to anyone who has actually played the game and they have a damaging effect on the game's bottom line.

So, even though this guy made the mistake of getting pissed off and publicly announcing these idiots would be blacklisted from reviewing future games, I'm pretty sure that blacklisting isn't going away. People who just want to make stuff up to bash a game because reviewing it poorly is the popular thing to do can blow it out their ass.


I simply can't agree more - bashing a game because it's "in" it's shitty...
I'm wondering how much money costs that each new call of duty doesn't get any lower mark than 8/10...

This post has been edited by Honza: 15 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#16

The bandwagon effect may merely explain why the game gets 3s (from a few revieweres) instead of 5s or 6es. Anyone who thinks that professional reviewers who liked the game, but are giving it bad grades simply because others are doing so, is kidding himself. Similarly the bandwagon effect may explain why CoD games get 9s instead of 8s.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 15 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

1

User is offline   LkMax 

#17

View PostHank, on 15 June 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

(...)
technically off-topic, voted Quote of the Day by Randy
http://www.shacknews...anchor_26098147

For me g0nk's post is the true post of the day: "If there was no previous "Duke" what would everyone be saying now? Like, if this was the 1st Duke game, no one had heard of Duke before, and dognose never said it would 0wn. What would everyone thoughts on it be?"

View PostFox, on 15 June 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

While the reviews do seems to be innacurate, that seems to be a very immature reaction.

If you develop a videogame, there will be reviews, also bad ones. Much like if you are a candidate for president the midia will be after you and bash you if say something inappropriate.

And seriously, only for those who gave them game a review lower than 5? They really expect to increase their rating on reviews with that?

Quoted for truth.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#18

View PostHonza, on 15 June 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

I'm wondering how much money costs that each new call of duty doesn't get any lower mark than 8/10...

It's not like I won't believe there is some money involved with the rating of games like Call of Duty, but I believe most of it is because it suits the standards of the public for modern games. Of course the standard of the average audience may not be the best, in most cases it's the opposite

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

#19

View PostTX, on 15 June 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

You know what? Aside from the massive apologies, I support Redner's view entirely. People who write a bad review just for the sake of hopping on the bandwagon and bashing a game because it's the "in" thing to do don't deserve future review copies of games. Why should a company give a reviewer something for free after the last game they were given was just shat all over?

Because that's how it works. Movie studios are having press screenings for that purpose alone. So that they review the movie. Although, some movies(especially horror) don't have those. It's just the way it is with media releases. So that the magazine could have a review right when the game/movie/album is released and not several days/weeks later.

Quote

These reviews are a disaster, they're pretty clearly inaccurate to anyone who has actually played the game and they have a damaging effect on the game's bottom line.

And where would you draw a line then? Who's review is inaccurate and who's not?
1

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

#20

View PostHelel, on 15 June 2011 - 08:43 PM, said:


And where would you draw a line then? Who's review is inaccurate and who's not?


I hate the game because it is shit is not a review, and that is what a good portion of reviews are out there right now, and the issues they do bring up are in games like L.A. Noir, and Call of duty they are just being super selective about which games they rate higher. There are two sides to this some sites might review based on how much they get paid by the publisher * COUGH COUGH gamespot*
0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #21

View PostHelel, on 15 June 2011 - 08:43 PM, said:

And where would you draw a line then? Who's review is inaccurate and who's not?

I've seen more than one review straight up make shit up just to make the game sound even worse. The line definitely needs to be drawn at stuff like that. There are also cases where otherwise reputable sites gave the game to people completely outside the game's intended target audience to review.

It's akin to having someone who reviews romantic comedies and cringes at the sight of blood review the latest gore filled horror film. What's the point? Of course they're going to give it a bad review, they decided they didn't like or couldn't handle the subject matter before the specific title was ever even part of the picture, and that's really the problem here. Just like I would have no business reviewing the latest Barbie Sissy Funhouse game, people who inherently dislike content such as is found in Duke Nukem Forever have no business reviewing it. They're entitled to their personal opinions of it of course but parroting them as fact is just plain wrong.

If reviewers can't force themselves to be objective they have no business writing reviews.
1

User is offline   randir14 

#22

Here's what I consider to be a good review. These guys thought the game was fun but they still point out its flaws. They give the PC version an 8.5 and the 360 version a 5.5 for its technical problems.


That's a much more fair review that some of the bullshit we've been seeing over the last few days.

This post has been edited by randir14: 16 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

#23

View PostTX, on 15 June 2011 - 10:16 PM, said:

There are also cases where otherwise reputable sites gave the game to people completely outside the game's intended target audience to review.
It's akin to having someone who reviews romantic comedies and cringes at the sight of blood review the latest gore filled horror film. What's the point? Of course they're going to give it a bad review, they decided they didn't like or couldn't handle the subject matter before the specific title was ever even part of the picture, and that's really the problem here.

Are you talking about that gay reviewer? That's just bullshit. He made one remark about women in review yet you still condemn him for disliking the game just because he's gay.

Quote

Just like I would have no business reviewing the latest Barbie Sissy Funhouse game, people who inherently dislike content such as is found in Duke Nukem Forever have no business reviewing it. They're entitled to their personal opinions of it of course but parroting them as fact is just plain wrong.

Who's parroting opinions as facts?
-3

User is offline   coheed82 

#24

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 June 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

I hate the gaming industry. It's all classic/retro and indie for me from now on. I'm fed up with it all. It's all politics and two-faced-ness. It's disgusting and sickening and I don't like it.


I agree, the industry seems to care about profits more than genuine results in their hands that will go on to being "legends" like 3DRealms Duke3d. Those days of great games that the developers can't wait to sell to us giving us everything we want and more than we expect are gone. Duke3d came with an editor & not to mention it had many levels, secrets including afew memorable secret levels. Everything felt right, it does to this day i can safely still put DN3D over DNF as pure brilliance.
One thing, it is sad to hear the industry is going south when i am in the stages of studying to get into game design, doing Certificate 4 in design at the moment & planning on buying Maya or 3d Studio Max to use at home and learn like the back of my hand. :D

I can draw, & i want to do concepts etc, maybe be a concept artist exept i still need the 3d side of things which is why i study. I would like to think the Game Industry here in adelaide is more down to earth than some others around the world. And for me it's deffinately NOT about money, i love games.. always have since i got the Intelivision! Who here knows what that is?? Very very old game console. i remember i had dungeons & dragons' for that and a soccer game, then i went onto the Pc Pet* commodore 64* sega megadrive* etc etc. i know what we like in games, and i plan on being a part of an company that will deliver the best games possible.
Only i probably will not be going overseas to do so as i can't leave my girlfriend & our kid back here.

But when i make it big, ill let ya guys know :)
0

User is offline   Twig 

#25

View PostYatta, on 15 June 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

If I were Jim Redner I'd share his feelings completely. Bashing DNF is a bandwagon that reviewers have an easy time jumping on because the game is different enough from what is mainstream for them to see it as an easy target.I'm having fun in the 2-3 hours I've played the game so far. I just wanted a fun game and I got it.



View PostTX, on 15 June 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

You know what? Aside from the massive apologies, I support Redner's view entirely. People who write a bad review just for the sake of hopping on the bandwagon and bashing a game because it's the "in" thing to do don't deserve future review copies of games. Why should a company give a reviewer something for free after the last game they were given was just shat all over?


So you are saying that is very much ok in princible for companies to choose only reviewers they know will give them favourable reviews? =D So you actually want the companies to lie to you through controlled reviews? Being a Duke fan is one thing but supporting a company behind such actions (and company is just a group of people doing bussiness, no need to tangle duke into it in any way) only because they publish Duke is blind following.
2

User is offline   X-Vector 

#26

If two admins of the biggest Duke Nukem fansite openly support the practice of retro-actively blackmailing game reviewers, what message does that send out to all the rabid fans out there?
Distorting the general critical response on the Duke4 mainpage wasn't enough?
-2

User is offline   Hank 

#27

View PostTwig, on 16 June 2011 - 02:19 AM, said:

So you are saying that is very much ok in princible for companies to choose only reviewers they know will give them favourable reviews? =D So you actually want the companies to lie to you through controlled reviews? Being a Duke fan is one thing but supporting a company behind such actions (and company is just a group of people doing bussiness, no need to tangle duke into it in any way) only because they publish Duke is blind following.

No it's not. But if you are a troll and call yourself a critic, you should be eliminated from the privilege to critic by a critic panel, or peers.
0

User is offline   Hank 

#28

View PostX-Vector, on 16 June 2011 - 03:34 AM, said:

If two admins of the biggest Duke Nukem fansite openly support the practice of retro-actively blackmailing game reviewers, what message does that send out to all the rabid fans out there?
Distorting the general critical response on the Duke4 mainpage wasn't enough?

That tells me that neither fans not troll should be in the critic business.
If you can not critic something outside your personal taste, find another profession.
1

User is offline   Twig 

#29

But some of them really genuinely didn't like it. It's not their fault, you can't force it. People like different things, there's no reason to censor anybody. It's already funny that the front page just cherry-picked the positive reviews. But it's like the positive reviews are right only because the co-align with some peoples own enjoyment. I have huge respects for rockPaperShotgun and TotalBiscuit but both really didn't like DNF. But I don't think their thoughts are slanted in any way, in fact TotalBiscuit said before playing the game that DNF is day 1 purchase for him, but was let down by the gameplay after he played DNF.

This post has been edited by Twig: 16 June 2011 - 03:55 AM

0

User is offline   Twig 

#30

View PostHank, on 16 June 2011 - 03:39 AM, said:

If you can not critic something outside your personal taste, find another profession.


Meaning you should only review it if you like it? Not review it because the reviewer has interest in the medium and DNF is a part of gaming medium? A good reviewer reviews everything everything the medium he or she is interested in offers. The bad reviewers are exactly the niche reviewers who review everything from one single point - just like cod-reviewers missing the iron-sight in Duke game it's also bad to judge game positively only because it has Duke in it.
0

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options