Duke4.net Forums: 3D Skyboxes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Skyboxes

User is offline   Bloodclaw 

I doubt something like this hasn't been made before, but still, here is my 3D Skybox script.

Posted Image

It will draw your skybox at scale 1/16 and can be included in most of the mods (at least all those who doesn't use eventloadactor on sector effectors).
It draw the skybox at coords 0 0 and use a SE with lotag 61.

Readme with detailled instructions / known bugs and an exemple map is included in the ZIP.

Download

I use a similar method in my current mod, it's pretty cool. By the way, it enables to produce other interesting effects. It's a pity that we're constrained to the 319x199 bounds when using showview.

Small tip: use the camera variables instead of player coordinates to fix the interpolations.

User is offline   zykov eddy 

I would like to use this script in my project, but the link is broken. Anybody still has it?

User is offline   CruX 

Here ya' go. Had to fire up the old rig to dig it up. TBH, I don't really know why you want to use this. No offense to Bloodclaw, it's neat effect that taught me how to do some other cool stuff, but if you really want a 3d skybox effect, you could always take a look at the code James Stanfield cooked up for IW2. It was based off of this IIRC, but if he coded it the same why I coded my own effect, it should way simpler and more flexible.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 18 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

Tried it out in Duke 3D. Looks like just what I wanted, but yeah, it's too buggy. Also, it refuses to work in my project anyway. Seems like I really need to take a look at IW2 code. But there's a problem. I remember that IW2 crashes when you trying to save the game on the maps with 3d skybox. It's because of skybox code, I guess?

User is offline   CruX 

Just tested the skybox code I'd written, and didn't have any problem saving/loading at all. I can't even really imagine what would cause it to do that to begin with, as the code is relatively simple; it just uses a new actor that stores its x, y, z positions and its angle into a few global variables, and a showview command is used in the displayrooms event to display what the new actor "sees". Of course, if showview is the reason this can't be used for your mod (polymer), then there's not much that can be done. Otherwise, I reckon I could post the code I wrote if you wanted (can't imagine it'd be too much different from James').

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postzykov eddy, on 18 May 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

Tried it out in Duke 3D. Looks like just what I wanted, but yeah, it's too buggy. Also, it refuses to work in my project anyway. Seems like I really need to take a look at IW2 code. But there's a problem. I remember that IW2 crashes when you trying to save the game on the maps with 3d skybox. It's because of skybox code, I guess?

No, that error was because of the old Eduke32 snapshot that IW used - it doesn't crash in newer versions :)

View PostEmericaSkater, on 18 May 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

Of course, if showview is the reason this can't be used for your mod (polymer), then there's not much that can be done.

Tried my mod without polymer - works fine. Damn that screwed up polymer.
Seems like I have to make a decision now.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 18 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options