Duke4.net Forums: Death Wish - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Death Wish

http://www.moddb.com...-wish-for-blood

I finally completed Death Wish. And not because it was insanely difficult or I lost interest. Before BloodGDX the only way I got the mod to work was to use a Blood Launcher a guy made (I unfortunately forget his name) that incorporated tons of other user-made maps and even included the mouse fix. I got pretty far into Death Wish but got stumped in episode 3. Then the launcher just refused to work no matter what I did and I just never got around to completing it.

Having finally completed it I have to echo what the general opinion is and it's easily the best mod for Blood. Easily the best mod for a Build Engine game too.

My only complaint would be that a key is in a very un-obvious spot in the Duck and Cover level in episode 3. I spent almost twenty minutes in that level looking for the key until I noticed there were key symbols next to a column that you could activate.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostBruno Mattei, on 15 April 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

Easily the best mod for a Build Engine game too.

That's a very big claim.

Completed recently. The transition levels after the secret maps are a great intuition which increases the immersion, you can see that the character return on the prefixed path to take the other exit instead to leave a secret map and just go directly to the next level without real logic, and the fact that the enemies repopulate them makes the threat more "alive" since they actually try to do damage control for all death and destruction you did in your last visit.

User is offline   Sanek 

I can't say it's THE best, but it can be easily included in a top 10. Certainly the best non-Duke3D mod ever released (RR Rides Again is awesome too, but it's more of a standalone sequel). I can't think of any other mod where every single map have a consistently high quality, which forms one brilliant piece of work.

User is offline   VGA 

View PostMicky C, on 15 April 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

That's a very big claim.

What are your favourites?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

That's a very big claim.

It is but I have to agree here: from all the Build mods I've played Death Wish was the one I enjoyed the most. It doesn't even feel like a mod, more like a sequel or a huge expansion pack.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostVGA, on 15 April 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

What are your favourites?

I think the AMC TC and WGRealms 2 are up there. Of course, those are total conversions rather than mods, and so are more in a seperate category.

User is offline   MetHy 

That's a very big claim.

But it really is.

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah Death Wish is a masterpiece of a mod, both visually and gameplay wise.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Yeah, Death Wish is a great addon! The main thing I loved about these episodes is that the author didn't use any custom art, he perfectly used everything which Blood offered, so at some points of the game I felt like I see something new. DW is a definition of well done usermaps :P.

And don't take me wrong, but is the word "mod" or "modification" an appropriate word for such thing? Doesn't mod actually change the game's features in a significant way? Not just texture swap. For example the only modification for Blood which actually touches significantly the game is my Weapons Mod (in fact upcoming version 4.0 will even more). But I suppose everyone calls things their way.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 16 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

Are you definitely sure that next version of weapon mod will be not compatible with BloodGDX as you stated?

User is offline   Dzierzan 

It can't be! We modified Blood.exe to get "features" which hasn't been done before. Technically speaking GDX could support that too... if we hacked this too or M210 makes CON script compatibility for GDX which sadly won't happen anytime soon. Maybe that's better, GDX port is still not finished.

Anyways, that's off-topic, I'll update WM thread soon to continue the subject there.

I just noticed that Death Wish does what no other Build Engine game has done before: when you access a secret level and complete it it doesn't move you ahead to the next level in line. Instead, it brings you back to around the end of the last level that you completed with new enemies and weapons and shit and then leads to the next level in line.

That was a nice detail.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 26 April 2018 - 04:19 AM

User is offline   Manhs 

My little tribute (animated movie video type) for Death Wish ^^:
https://youtu.be/MzVj4YCmoFg

This post has been edited by Manhs: 26 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

Death Wish has been updated to 1.5 few hours ago.
https://www.moddb.co...-wish-for-blood

User is offline   VGA 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 26 April 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

I just noticed that Death Wish does what no other Build Engine game has done before: when you access a secret level and complete it it doesn't move you ahead to the next level in line. Instead, it brings you back to around the end of the last level that you completed with new enemies and weapons and shit and then leads to the next level in line.

That was a nice detail.

Doesn't the original Blood do that? The end of House of Horrors is basically the area around the normal exit of the previous map.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostVGA, on 25 November 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

Doesn't the original Blood do that? The end of House of Horrors is basically the area around the normal exit of the previous map.

He means that after every secret level it leads to a whole other level which is basically a different interpretation of the end of the level before.

*To clarify, it loads a different map that wouldn't have been seen otherwise.

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 26 November 2018 - 12:34 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I had delayed playing DW until now since I wanted to wait for a polished version. I guess after 10 revisions for v1.5 we are pretty much there. Gotta admit, I was sceptical about all the praise the mod has received so far, but after the first few levels I need to confirm it's really, really, good. It's getting as close to an official addon as it can possibly get. What's also amazing is how refreshingly new it feels and plays - which is accomplished without ANY additional custom art! All is done with assets that came with the original game (if you don't count the cutscenes). It's also one thing to have nice levels, but another to have proper gameflow in them. And that's the case here, no doubt about it. Levelflow is smooth, and before you can get stuck there's always a tome with a helpful hint placed at just about the right spot. That's how it's done, ladies and gentlemen!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Version 1.5.12 has been released on March 11.

Not much happened in the last two versions according to the changelog, just some fine-tuning:

1.5.12 (Mar 11, 2019)
- DWE1M3: Basement upper and lower stacks replaced with stairways and ROR sectors. Faster blue light, faster rising ice steps

1.5.11 (Mar 7 ,2019)
- Just fixed a few small problems -- nothing major
- DWE3M4: Added rock wall to hotel side of ocean

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 April 2019 - 06:13 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Death Wish is easily one of the greatest Build mods of all time. IMO it's definitely #1 in the "vanilla style" category of mods.

The only thing that ever bothered me was that one space station level where it's just a plain black skybox outside. I know there isn't an outer space skybox available in the original game, but I don't understand why he couldn't simulate stars using suitable sprites. I know it's probably not that big of a deal, but it bothered me so much while I was playing it lol.

This post has been edited by Radar: 01 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options