Duke4.net Forums: LinkedIn - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LinkedIn  "?"

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I am not familiar with this "LinkedIn" service/social-network...

Do anyone know ?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Dunno much about it but is some business and mainly used for professional networking etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinkedIn

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's Facebook for jobs and business basically.

So you need to have a good reason to sign in and contact a member...

• The Sarien Encounter

Well no but it would probably be appreciated. I've had an account for years and I literally never ever use it. Whenever I do something new I add it to my list of jobs though. It's been a while...

Ok, so your purpose don't need to be 100% professionnal matter...

User is offline   Hank 

^ Not really. LinkedIn sold my hobby CV. I got offers for Unity 3D 'jobs'. Sure, pay me for my texturing, but within the context of a team.

Then I received emails, promoting Obama’s health care, and then I told LinkedIn to go fuck yourself.

Thus, if you are looking for a job, LinkedIn works. But for socializing, I recommend the old fashion way, walk in the Park, smile and saying hello. That way, no tracking, no profiling and no selling my personal information.

Keep in mind, I no longer use any so called social network sites. :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 31 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

LinkedIn is definitely not meant for "hey, man, how are you doing these days?" It's more meant for "Hello, I see that you have experience in <suchandsuch> and I'm in need of someone like that" or vice versa. It's not to socialize with your friends. It's kind of like an online dynamic resume, actually.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

I have an account, but I hardly ever use it, unless someone actually says something to me.

View Postgemeaux333, on 30 March 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

So you need to have a good reason to sign in and contact a member...

If you're a recruiter it's a handy side tool, though increasingly unreliable as time goes on and people move on.

If you're looking to be recruited it's a handy side tool, though increasingly annoying as time goes on and bots move in.

I consider it Satan Digicarnate and have a small degree of contempt for people that put effort into their profile.

I might not be at my current company if it weren't for a random LinkedIn recruiter telling me he had some great opportunities here even though he was no longer employed at his recruiting gig when it came time for me to look for a new job. His LinkedIn message caused me to contact the company I'm at now directly. I would have gotten hold of them anyways as I was pinging the whole area, but his message made it a 100% guarantee I contacted them.

Profile was deleted shortly after.

This post has been edited by Blue'sBlueBlew: 31 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If Facebook is what you want your friends to see, LinkedIn is what you want employers and colleagues to see.

I have a LinkedIn profile, and while I don’t actively engage on LinkedIn, I keep it regularly updated. If you go to networking events, it’s a great way to follow up with people as an exchange of virtual business cards.

I’m doing a PhD and won’t finish for one and a half years, so I’m just leaving it out there in case any head hunters come along, or if my reputation proceeds me and someone wants to find out more (I’m an active volunteer in a prominent professional society for my career, so that’s fairly likely).

I’ve certainly had people express interest in signing me up to their company, although I’m not technically on the market until I finish.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 22 April 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

I’m doing a PhD

User is offline   Mark 

reputation proceeds me should be "precedes me" :lol:

I can point this out because I have never made a mistake when typing. :P

This post has been edited by Mark.: 23 April 2018 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Touché

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options