Duke4.net Forums: Who owns what, now? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who owns what, now?

User is offline   evilclive 

Could someone make a list of the DNF intellectual property that currently exists, and who owns each piece of it?

As far as I can see:

The Duke Nukem franchise (with the blond hero's name and appearance) is owned by Take Two; they chose to retain this title (mainly for the profitable DN3D console remakes), but have decided not to throw any more money down the DNF bottomless pit.

The existing, level design, artwork, character models etc. are owned by 3D Realms; after far too many false starts, they may even have got as far as a playable alpha build.

The game engine is owned by Epic Games and Digital Extremes, who have licensed it to 3D Realms for DNF.

I hereby create (invent, and assert the existence of) a gaming franchise called King Stingem. If anyone wants to take ownership of this franchise, e.g. for the purpose of releasing a kick-ass computer game, contact me by PM.

Any intellectual property currently owned by 3D Realms, of which a fair bit has been leaked recently, could undoubtedly be transferred to a different franchise; third-party software licenses could be purchased once again.

User is offline   hornoxe 

Based on public information no one except 3DR currently owns the IP. What Take2 has are the rights to publish DNF, as in promote DNF and stick the darn thing on DVDs/CDs and sell em. So no one can put the Duke into a game, movie, comic etc. without asking 3DR for permission.

This post has been edited by hornoxe: 22 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

User is offline   evilclive 

This whole thing is beginning to remind me of 19th century Robber Baron tactics.

User is offline   Redcard 

View Postevilclive, on May 22 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

This whole thing is beginning to remind me of 19th century Robber Baron tactics.

Yeah, except for the fact that it's completely different.

User is offline   Kennerado 

• Honored Donor

Ted Turner owns it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options