Duke4.net Forums: WitchavenGDX Future Fetuares ? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WitchavenGDX Future Fetuares ?

User is offline   TheXna 

Hi! I'm wondering if this port could change a few things in the future, I have a few small petitions!

Changemap cvar: Instead of using a number to navigate, it would be really helpful to change the map you want to by writing the files name, for example, I'm working in a map that shows every function WH1 Build engine version can do! (And there's a lot of unused stuff in Witchaven 1!) And the only way to play a custom map in Witchaven, is by replacing Campaign maps (Test.MAP ----> LEVEL1.MAP)

Modding support: Witchaven Dos version supports EGWhaven Patches, but the GDX port doesn't seem to work with that type of custom stuff! (Custom sprites works, Textures, Sounds Etc. Those works! already tested it! But the patches don't seem to affect the game! )

UserMap option: That would be Hella useful! and it would also fix my issue with the Changemap cvar!

And that's all! I hope is not too much! And I want to thank you M210! For all of your work! I never thought I would see a witchaven port! Never in my life!

(Oh btw There's a few bugs new bugs I found in this port, I will let you know whenever I got time to make another video!)

User is offline   Caleb280 

I'm waiting for Witchaven2GDX cause it's a better game with some better mechanics and much better maps. It would be cool for both WhavenGDX and Whaven2GDX to be able to show original map names and custom map names displayed on automap (tab) Btw. A year ago I've started making extra campaign for Whaven2 using original BUILD for supplied with the game. I'd like to achieve similar quality like Cryptic Passage, DUke it out in DC, Suckin Grits on Route 66 and Wanton Destruction. I'll upload some images soon. 2 maps are fully finished and other 2 about half way. Problem is that the BUILD for WH2 has too many limitations like too many sprites or only 1024 sectors max. And I was thinking that maybe there is a way to make something like BUILDGDX? THese maps already push WH2 engine to the limits. I'd like to get back again to my custom campaign I'm planning 10 maps but who knows maybe more. Or maybe we could turn my custom campaign into a duke4 community campaign.

User is offline   m210® 

TheXna, on 20 March 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

Hi! I'm wondering if this port could change a few things in the future, I have a few small petitions!

Changemap cvar: Instead of using a number to navigate, it would be really helpful to change the map you want to by writing the files name, for example

It will make a lot of stupid questions like "how to change map" and btw, there is a just debug command for quick end of map. And of cource I will make "user map" option in menu, so you don't need to use "changemap" cmd.

I don't know about EGWhaven patches, but I will see, what is it.

Btw, I never played WH before and I don't know how must working some objects in the original. If you will see differents between original and port, let me know.

BUILD for WH2 has too many limitations like too many sprites or only 1024 sectors max

BloodGDX also has 1024 sectors max, so it's not a problem of WH2 :)
Maxsprites = 4096, maxwalls = 8192

M210, on 21 March 2018 - 03:07 AM, said:

It will make a lot of stupid questions like "how to change map" and btw, there is a just debug command for quick end of map. And of cource I will make "user map" option in menu, so you don't need to use "changemap" cmd.

Btw, I never played WH before and I don't know how must working some objects in the original. If you will see differents between original and port, let me know.

OK I mean that Sprite limit seems high but I have only places about 2000 sprites and most of them are dissapearing when you walk around my custom map (BUILD editor bug?) Same happens when I'm playing my custom map.

M210, on 21 March 2018 - 03:07 AM, said:

BTW. M210. Thank you for BLOODGDX. One of my favourite games of all time is fully playable on new systems. Keep up the good work. And I can't wait for RedneckRampage/Rides Again GDX port.

User is offline   fgsfds 

TheXna, on 20 March 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

Witchaven Dos version supports EGWhaven Patches, but the GDX port doesn't seem to work with that type of custom stuff!

WGDX already includes most of egwhaven's fixes. At least, it's supposed to. Haven't checked it myself.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 21 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   TheXna 

fgsfds, on 21 March 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

WGDX already includes most of egwhaven's fixes. At least, it's supposed to. Haven't checked it myself.

If this is true, the only thing patch I've seen to work is the pickaxe fatal crash error which is fixed by EG, That's the only thing I've noticed, I finished the game in skill 3 and the most annoying part of This port is that damn glitch that every enemy that fires projectiles became invisible in the water texture, cannot be hit but they can still shot you (JUDY, SKULLY, DEVIL, FATWIS) But grondoval (Enemy) Doesn't seem to glitch on the water, im already making a video of this!

Hey M210. I would like to ask if Witchaven will soon support Multiplayer because I remember seeing people play online deathmatch on DOS through Youtube.

User is offline   m210® 

I want to make WH with cooperative, but bullshit src code can't handle it. So, at first I need to rewrite this code. It will not be soon

I have to bow out of Witchaven GDX. I made it to level 18 and experienced multiple crashes. Not to mention I'm noticing an issue where hidden walls will open but close behind you and there's no way to trigger them to open again. I even made it to level 19, found a Pentagram, only to get sealed in a room. I don't know I did. I don't know if it's a bug with the game or with GDX. I admit that I did use the Bow to make a set of stairs to bypass a few instant death traps to make it to that Pentagram but I don't know.

It sucks I was actually enjoying it and I was really close to the end.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 10 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

I got back into Witchaven. This time I cheesed the game by quickly running into the room with the Pentagram in level 19 and quickly running back where I came from. Then I slowly made my way through it, only experiencing one crash. I noticed a weird bug where in level 19 if you get to one of the rooms opposite of the Pentragram, pull the switch, the door to the exit doesn't open. But if you don't hit that switch you can go through that door, I think you may have to crouch.

So I get through the entire game. Get to the last level and killed every single enemy and just couldn't end the game. I don't remember killing one of the witches, perhaps she was carrying the helmet you need? But I get to the exit and it tells me I need an item. I look up a LP and the guy just happened to get to the exit and complete the game. In my mind I have beaten the game.

I also noticed from watching an LP that the Magic Sword will degrade and become useless in the DOS version. In the current GDX version that sword will never degrade. I don't really think anyone would mind too much if this is left unchanged considering. Especially considering just how worthless the Halberd is and that's supposed to WH's equivalent to the BFG.

WH is an interesting chapter for the FPS genre at the time. It was the first medieval/fantasy hack and slash title Not to mention the first official Build game. It's very rough around the edges but it's still charming despite all of its flaws.

User is offline   TheXna 

Bruno Mattei, on 13 May 2018 - 03:57 AM, said:

I got back into Witchaven. This time I cheesed the game by quickly running into the room with the Pentagram in level 19 and quickly running back where I came from. Then I slowly made my way through it, only experiencing one crash. I noticed a weird bug where in level 19 if you get to one of the rooms opposite of the Pentragram, pull the switch, the door to the exit doesn't open. But if you don't hit that switch you can go through that door, I think you may have to crouch.

So I get through the entire game. Get to the last level and killed every single enemy and just couldn't end the game. I don't remember killing one of the witches, perhaps she was carrying the helmet you need? But I get to the exit and it tells me I need an item. I look up a LP and the guy just happened to get to the exit and complete the game. In my mind I have beaten the game.

I also noticed from watching an LP that the Magic Sword will degrade and become useless in the DOS version. In the current GDX version that sword will never degrade. I don't really think anyone would mind too much if this is left unchanged considering. Especially considering just how worthless the Halberd is and that's supposed to WH's equivalent to the BFG.

WH is an interesting chapter for the FPS genre at the time. It was the first medieval/fantasy hack and slash title Not to mention the first official Build game. It's very rough around the edges but it's still charming despite all of its flaws.

WH is one of the first FPS that uses build engine, that's why you can witness a lot of map errors design and stuff like that, and about the ending, even if you are playing a cd copy of WH in the GDX port, it won't show the credits or the ending cutscene, I believe that You can't technically beat the game in the GDX port, you suppose to kill Judy (The Witch) and then grab that weird helmet at the end of the portal and finish the game. For some reason, GDX Doesn't allow you to finish the game even if you collect that item. That item works like a pentagram, but only for finish the game.

Yeah I figured. I also heard that the bow is very inaccurate in the original version but in GDX it's 100% accurate. This is another change that's welcomed. I can't imagine many people getting upset that M210 actually fixed the game in some areas.

Bruno Mattei, on 13 May 2018 - 03:57 AM, said:

I noticed a weird bug where in level 19 if you get to one of the rooms opposite of the Pentragram, pull the switch, the door to the exit doesn't open. But if you don't hit that switch you can go through that door, I think you may have to crouch.

Correction: it was level 24. Normally I wouldn't edit but I thought this was important to get right if M210 sees this.

User is offline   m210® 

I see it :( but did nothing yet, so, this thread will be as todo list maybe in future

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options