Duke4.net Forums: Alien Extermination TC: New Edition - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Extermination TC: New Edition  "An updated version of a classic TC"

User is online   zykov eddy 

Posted Image

Hello everyone!

For a long time I've been a huge fan of Alien movies. Being so popular, this franchise have spawned countless fan works, such as mods & maps for various games, including Duke 3D. Sadly, most of the projects are either have very few levels (AVD, Alien), or simply aren't polished enough, such as the case with ifamous Alien Extermination (AKA Alienz TC), released in 2000.

Alienz TC was one of the first Duke 3D mods I've ever played, and it always confused the hell out of me. It has tons of levels, some of which are quite good, but it also has tons of bugs, questionable artwork, no original music (plays standard Duke 3D tracks) & lots of unused content. Even the gameplay is extremely unbalanced. It bugs me that such huge TC is so underdeveloped and unpolished, unlike other mods, such as the classic Aliens TC for DOOM, for example. This is why I decided to make Alienz TC: New Edition. I honestly think Alien Extermination has a lot of potential, and after updating it and fixing numorous errors, I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. If you're a fan of Aliens and you never played the original Alienz TC, this is a good opportunity to try it out!

Basically, here's a list of changes:

• Lots and lots of bugs fixed;
  • New item - motion tracker! Replaces Holoduke, detects moving aliens & other enemies;
  • New item - sentry gun! Replaces night vision goggles, can be placed anywhere, shoots aliens & other enemies, has a huge supply of bullets. Very useful against bosses;
  • Gameplay in the original was extremely unbalanced, with overpowered weapons and weak enemies (including bosses that you could kill by hitting them a few times with a granade launcher). I fixed that;
  • Levels tweaked & cleaned up, some of them rearranged slightly, to make gameplay more enjoyable;
  • New Edition features an entirely new soundtrack, to better fit Aliens theme;
  • New sounds, including ambient sounds for the levels;
  • Some of the weapons are changed, for example Flamegun now works like a classic flamethrower, when in the original it was basically a reskin of Freezethrower;
  • Enemies code tweaked to make them more unpredictable and dangerous;
  • Graphics polished;
  • Half of the cutsecenes in the original simply didn't work, including endings to episode 3 & 4 and intro to episode 4. I fixed that;
  • New level obstacles, including mines in episode 4 & self destruct timer in E1L7 (these are actually features that didn't get finished in the original version);
  • And many more!

Download (incliding New Edition & old TC)

Special thanks to NightFright for help!
Original Alien Extermination TC is made by Team Triumph.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 05 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Now I know why you asked me that question about coding turrets a few weeks ago. :) Looks like fun.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Believe me, it is - I playtested the whole mod for Eddy, and the new tracker plus the sentry turrets make this whole thing a lot more enjoyable than it already was.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Just checking this out - nice work, I like the idea of preserving older TCs this way. The grenade doesn't work though, I try to throw it and it just explodes straight in my face.

View PostJblade, on 06 March 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

Just checking this out - nice work, I like the idea of preserving older TCs this way. The grenade doesn't work though, I try to throw it and it just explodes straight in my face.

You mean grenade launcher?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Friendly reminder: Troll/aggro posts and replies to such posts may be summarily removed. For anyone who has worked hard on a mod, it really sucks when your thread gets derailed by that stuff.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Just in case some of you wonder:
Eddy developed his version without basing it on the version edited by me for the addon compilation. However, I made sure that the essential changes from my version were also transferred into his - especially fixes for map corruptions and Polymer rendering issues.

The tracker adds a lot of movie atmosphere whenever you activate it - even though it's only an acustic feature. If you collect enough sentry guns before a boss fight, you definitely have a huge advantage. Together with all the other changes and fixes, especially the new intro, green menu and music, everything just feels more polished and less frustrating.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   Vagan 

Playing now, thanks much for this!

Edit: I dnstuff'ed and tested both the individual grenades and the grenade launcher, with no issues; I'm using the latest version of eduke32 (build 6722).

This post has been edited by Vagan: 06 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah I just updated, didn't realise I was running an old version. sorry!

Download link updated. Updated version features fixed sentry gun code and other tweaks. Special thanks to Mere_Duke for the fixes!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options