Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Which could just be twisting of the truth. If you plug in dynamic lighting, fog, and 3D models into build you could "easily" recreate what they did.

In fact, IIRC at one point in the development of Duke 64, they had plugged in some dynamic lighting on the RPG projectiles.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKareBear, on 23 March 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

I found this quote from an interview with the developers.

Counterpoint:

“Yeah, we were always rushed and you always end up cutting stuff that you believe would have made it so much better. Certainly the Dukebots would have made a good addition. We were up against it though, and we got all we could out of a heavily modified BUILD engine. There were talks of it, but realistically a co-op mode would have probably required specific level creation as the single-player levels were already struggling under the weight of content we were adding. There were additional enemy types that were dropped, including Cyborg Pigs that visually matched the Cyborg Enforcers and also augmented Parapsyches.”

The level and texture data has been fully ripped from the game, and they are still using BUILD formats and Duke 3D conventions, including SECTOREFFECTOR sprites.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image

Next you're gonna tell us that DNF has come out in early 1998 because George said so.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Attached

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: DNF.JPG

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That's the proof we needed! Yatta has the lost copy of DNF 2001! Or maybe it's rather a better one of 2011, who cares? Someone grab him and force him to play the DNF turret sequences over and over again until he tells us where he hid the copy...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

What the fuck is that? Yatta!!!! 》:00

Please release the damn builds. This is torturous teasing.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

promo materials

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: dnfexplosion_huge.jpg

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Nobody could possibly make this up. Must be legit.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostYatta, on 25 March 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

Attached

Looks like Doom 3.

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

Do you have more promo logos or art, Yatta?

View PostDuke4Beta, on 25 March 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

What the fuck is that? Yatta!!!! 》:00

Please release the damn builds. This is torturous teasing.

View PostDr_Proton, on 26 March 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Do you have more promo logos or art, Yatta?

I have that build too, it's from around 2004 (my dad worked for Nintendo around that time). It's really buggy though and sometimes the world will disappear for a second or two (which is what happened in Yatta's screenshot).
It's a lot of fun though and there are some REALLY cool levels in there. The level of interactivity with the world is insane too, you can do some crazy shit. It's weird though, sometimes it feels like I'm playing Doom 3.

Posted Image

:)

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 26 March 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

I have that build too, it's from around 2004 (my dad worked for Nintendo around that time). It's really buggy though and sometimes the world will disappear for a second or two (which is what happened in Yatta's screenshot).
It's a lot of fun though and there are some REALLY cool levels in there. The level of interactivity with the world is insane too, you can do some crazy shit. It's weird though, sometimes it feels like I'm playing Doom 3.

Posted Image

:)

Posted Image Hmmm

I knew that shotgun looked weirdly familiar to me

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Psyrgery: 26 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Immediately thought doom 3 because for a while i was on a crusade looking for an alpha shotgun mod for it that got removed from the internet

User is online   Tekedon 

Attached

That is quite abviously Doom3 and not DNF :)

View PostTekedon, on 26 March 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

That is quite abviously Doom3 and not DNF :)

Yeah, this guy is certainly correc- WAIT A SEC!

Posted Image

By god...

User is offline   Mark 

Yatta was a few days early for April Fools Day.

• Judge Mental

Attached

Attached

You open the competition with one screenshot, I respond with two! :P

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: m16.jpg
  • Attached Image: m17.jpg

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostAltered Reality, on 28 March 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

You open the competition with one screenshot, I respond with two! :lol:

What game is that? For some reason it reminds me of Duke Theft Auto :P

What's CannibalEd, and how is it different from DukeEd?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPikaCommando, on 28 March 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

It eats you after the map is done.

Some of the enemies in DNF were cannibalistic, CannibalEd is used to alter which species they are willing to eat and how often they'll try. I know this because my neighbour's uncle told me.

• Judge Mental

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 29 March 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

Some of the enemies in DNF were cannibalistic, CannibalEd is used to alter which species they are willing to eat and how often they'll try. I know this because my neighbour's uncle told me.

Cannibals eat their own kind. If you alter the kind of animals they're willing to eat, they stop being cannibals.

I'm just saying.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostCommando Nukem, on 29 March 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

Cannibals eat their own kind. If you alter the kind of animals they're willing to eat, they stop being cannibals.

I'm just saying.

So that means that CannibalEd eats other map editors? Innovative!

View Postspessu_sb, on 28 March 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

What game is that? For some reason it reminds me of Duke Theft Auto :P

1) The city was originally a level from Syndicate Wars, which I converted to the .3ds format with IVCon.
2) The weapons are two free downloads from TurboSquid. I added the US flag to the assault rifle with 3D Studio Max.
3) I put them together in a program I made with Irrlicht.

It was used for skinning models.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

View Postnecroslut, on 22 March 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

The game was thoroughly designed and built as a console game. At the time it would have come out, honestly it wouldn't have been very good or impressive for a PC game, unless they would have rebuilt the whole thing... And in that case, maybe it would have been better to just make a new game.

I don't see that there's such a thing as a "console game". A game on a console can be ported to run on a PC and vice versa, but you talk as though they are two entirely different things. Yes, DN:ZH plays slower than a lot of first/third person shooters to compensate for the lack of the mouse (which incidentally isn't necessary, as games like Unreal Championship 2 (Original XBox) and Quake 3 (PS2) prove), you can only save at the end of each level (because the N64's memory pack storage is so small), and there's no LAN or online mode in multiplayer, but those things could have been easily altered in a PC version.

Leave the game-play and atmosphere as it is in DN:ZH, and add higher resolution modes, polish up the textures, add more polygons to take advantage of the difference in hardware (1996 N64 vs 1999 PC), add user definable PC controls, and (please) make the game moddable, and surely you'd have a great game that would no doubt please many Duke Nukem fans.

It works the other way, too. Games like Deus Ex, Morrowind, and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis were considered advanced PC games at the time they were first released, but they all had great console ports, though you loose the modding abilities on the console versions, there's oftena downgrade on the graphics depending on the hardware of the console, and (again, depending on the console's hardware) you might lose the LAN/online multiplayer aspects too. And with Deus Ex (PS2), the multiplayer mode was completely removed for some reason. It wasn't much of a loss, as no one played the PC's multiplayer, since it was the game's stellar single player campaign that everyone loved (myself included, it's my favourite game on the PC and PS2) and the PS2 port was a fantastic version of that, with a few arguable improvements.

That said, some game types are more suited to one that the other (real time strategy games are the big no no on consoles
if you ask me, as a controller is horrible for quickly lassoing groups of NPCs or resources), and 3D platform games are (to me) largely unplayable on a PC without a joypad, though of course one of the great advantages of the PC is how open it is so how it gives you so much choice, so you can have a choice of many different joypads if you like. I use an XBox 360 joypad on the PC.

But I don't see that a given game genre, or even a reasonably popular single game, cannot be made playable and enjoyable on a different machine.

This post has been edited by Kerr Avon: 29 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostKerr Avon, on 29 March 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

I don't see that there's such a thing as a "console game". A game on a console can be ported to run on a PC and vice versa, but you talk as though they are two entirely different things.

You're conflating two different perspectives.

Yes, there is a way that games are developed that makes them "console games." Weapon limits, aim assist, smaller sized maps with more linearity are all symptoms of many triple A developers aiming to facilitate a better console gaming experience.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostKerr Avon, on 29 March 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

I don't see that there's such a thing as a "console game". A game on a console can be ported to run on a PC and vice versa, but you talk as though they are two entirely different things. Yes, DN:ZH plays slower than a lot of first/third person shooters to compensate for the lack of the mouse (which incidentally isn't necessary, as games like Unreal Championship 2 (Original XBox) and Quake 3 (PS2) prove), you can only save at the end of each level (because the N64's memory pack storage is so small), and there's no LAN or online mode in multiplayer, but those things could have been easily altered in a PC version.

Leave the game-play and atmosphere as it is in DN:ZH, and add higher resolution modes, polish up the textures, add more polygons to take advantage of the difference in hardware (1996 N64 vs 1999 PC), add user definable PC controls, and (please) make the game moddable, and surely you'd have a great game that would no doubt please many Duke Nukem fans.

It works the other way, too. Games like Deus Ex, Morrowind, and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis were considered advanced PC games at the time they were first released, but they all had great console ports, though you loose the modding abilities on the console versions, there's oftena downgrade on the graphics depending on the hardware of the console, and (again, depending on the console's hardware) you might lose the LAN/online multiplayer aspects too. And with Deus Ex (PS2), the multiplayer mode was completely removed for some reason. It wasn't much of a loss, as no one played the PC's multiplayer, since it was the game's stellar single player campaign that everyone loved (myself included, it's my favourite game on the PC and PS2) and the PS2 port was a fantastic version of that, with a few arguable improvements.

That said, some game types are more suited to one that the other (real time strategy games are the big no no on consoles
if you ask me, as a controller is horrible for quickly lassoing groups of NPCs or resources), and 3D platform games are (to me) largely unplayable on a PC without a joypad, though of course one of the great advantages of the PC is how open it is so how it gives you so much choice, so you can have a choice of many different joypads if you like. I use an XBox 360 joypad on the PC.

But I don't see that a given game genre, or even a reasonably popular single game, cannot be made playable and enjoyable on a different machine.

It's not so much about the machine - though of course any platform has hardware limitations that need to be considered during development - as the control method and interface.

Yes, 3D platformers (among other things) play awfully with keyboard/mouse. And lightgun arcade games are pretty dull with a mouse, and unplayable with a controller. It's not a "PC master race" thing - it's just that taking a design out of it's natural habitat, where it has evolved, doesn't necessarily mean it will thrive outside

Also, I imagine Eurocom's new Build renderer was custom build for the N64's architecture and would need to be rewritten again. Worth it for a dated-looking, poorly-playing third-person shooter - and PC players on the time weren't big on consoley third-person shooters - that was in every simpler and less ambitious than it's predecessor? Sure, hardcore Duke fans might have enjoyed it, but it would hardly have been a PC hit... other than maybe with younger kids who wished they had a console instead of dad's PC..

Yes, you can always adapt a game for a more limited platform, and if it's a great game people will generally accept it because it's the next best thing. But here we're talking about porting to a platform with less limitations, which is a very different situation. For starters, things like raising resolution will largely make the game look worse - not better - as it will show the limitations of the assets. If you remake all the assets and polish up all the levels to compensate, then why not just make a new game?
And making the game play faster would mean completely re-balancing everything - combat, movement, level design, maybe you'd have to scrap or completely rework some enemies that were no longer fun.
That kind of work might be worth it for a great game, but Zero Hour - even on its original platform - was never great. It was OK, it was adequate, maybe even good, but it wasn't great. And stripped from its console limitations it would - other than an improved framerate - be not better but worse than it originally was, because the conditions under which its design decisions made sense would no longer apply.

Why they didn't (at the time) port Manhattan Project to consoles though... that is harder for me to understand.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options