Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

User is offline   Outtagum 

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View Postfuegerstef, on 22 March 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

Fuck those idiots. No, really. Fuck them. That's only because they don't have any personality at all themselves and need to "become" a fictional character because they cannot experience an adventure themselves because they are brainless fucktards who will never achieve anything (or are too young for a developed personality).

I really need to find the source for that again: There was a survey among WoW players. Those with a strong and developed personality who were also quite satisfied with their lives made characters close to themselves. MY take on that: They also cand fill the void of a Gordon Freeman or the stereotype of a Duke (who has no developing character arc and is only a flat stereotype).
Those who weren't happy with their lives or had a weak personality made the wildest characters with the wildest names ... because then they could be somebody else. Those people need a fleshed out ingame-character as they are too undedeveloped to fill out the shell of a game's main protagonist, like Duke, Gordon, Doomguy, etc ...

Again: Fuck them.

Phew ... I needed that.

The less known about the protagonists the better, unless they are somewhat close to who I actually am as a person. Like, I can relate a lot to cynical antihero characters such as Garrett from the Thief series or JC Denton from Deus Ex, but then there are aspects of myself that can also relate to Duke or Caleb because they have traits that are common across nearly all men. As I get older, though, I notice more and more that I don't like to play out set roles that have me doing shit I would never do IRL. That's why oldschool games are a big draw for me, because I can just be who I wanna be. Freedom!

Would also like to see that survey if you can find it.

... That is still not a reason to start gratuitously and viciously insulting players who do enjoy complex protagonists. :lol:

View Postthricecursed, on 25 March 2019 - 06:51 AM, said:

That's why oldschool games are a big draw for me, because I can just be who I wanna be.

A psychopathic mass murderer? :lol:

Because let us face it: as fun as old-school first-person shooters are, there is not much freedom to be found in them when all you get to do is kill everything that moves...

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 25 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 25 March 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

... That is still not a reason to start gratuitously and viciously insulting players who do enjoy complex protagonists. :lol:

Because let us face it: as fun as old-school first-person shooters are, there is not much freedom to be found in them when all you get to do is kill everything that moves...

how about exploring, secrets, not being babysitting around by the game?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 25 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

• banned!

Yes. :lol:

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's not real, dude.

Kinda like you.

User is offline   ck3D 

Don't you put words in people's mouths like that.

A window repair man. That is all I've ever wanted to be, yet an ambitious goal I could never mutter the guts to fulfill due to being complacent, lazy and conceited. Now that I'm successfully banned from society, Mapster32 helps me find a sense of (albeit virtual) self again whenever I fire it up to draw red lines everywhere - I hit the wall limit twice a day approx. - just so then I can go glass texture mask wall crazy on them (and then of course B & H, always). Eventually I'll feel kinky: that's when I'll switch to test mode and smash all the windows I just made, just to tickle my OCD and feel second-hand relief when I finally quit back to the editor and see my lovechild complete again. Deeply, I regard this as training for the day I'll actually get off the couch to get the formal training society dictates that I require to fulfill my dreams of one day endorsing the role of the complex protagonist of a window repair man.

PS. Asking for a friend with a thing for SE11 / lotag 23's. Where did forums.locksmith4.net go? The depth of that community was off the hook.

sorry I felt like making a post as ridiculous as certain assumptions, carry on

This post has been edited by ck3D: 25 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 March 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

It's not real, dude.

I am not seeing you sermonise fuegerstef for viciously telling people who love complex protagonists that they should not because reasons. Why is that, Mr. Schrödinger's Douchebag?

Is it because being an abusive, self-absorbed dipshit your idea of how a "real" Duke Nukem fan should be? :lol:

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 25 March 2019 - 04:14 PM

View PostLazy Dog, on 25 March 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

how about exploring, secrets, not being babysitting around by the game?

Posted Image

Oh, how cute[1]: comparing a literal image with a hyperbole, and then asking us to interpret the hyperbole literally.

[1] where by "cute" I mean "dishonest"

View Postthricecursed, on 25 March 2019 - 06:51 AM, said:

The less known about the protagonists the better

So you don't actually care to play a Duke Nukem game. You'd do just fine with a no-name Doom clone with levels generated by a level randomizer.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 25 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostAltered Reality, on 25 March 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

Oh, how cute[1]: comparing a literal image with a hyperbole, and then asking us to interpret the hyperbole literally.

i didn't asked anybody to interpret anything, everyone should be able to draw their own conclusions based on the games they played.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 25 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

Even more so when you realise that thricecursed's "freedom" argument was made in regard to the player character's identity and personality, not the game's level design... :lol:

I mean, come on, guys.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 25 March 2019 - 05:56 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 25 March 2019 - 04:10 PM, said:

I am not seeing you sermonise fuegerstef for viciously telling people who love complex protagonists that they should not because reasons. Why is that, Mr. Schrödinger's Douchebag?

Is it because being an abusive, self-absorbed dipshit your idea of how a "real" Duke Nukem fan should be? :lol:

Hey, now. When did this escalate to name-calling? I believe I've been pretty cordial with you throughout this thread. If I didn't know any better I'd think it almost seems like you're trying to get a rise out of me. But I wonder why you'd do that.

• banned!

So you don't actually care to play a Duke Nukem game. You'd do just fine with a no-name Doom clone with levels generated by a level randomizer.

Wtf are you talking about? Did you even read my post? I said I like Thief and Deus Ex, they have plenty of characterization and story. I just think most stories in games suck (partly for the reasons fuegerstef outlined), so I'd rather have nothing (making it easier for me to insert myself into the gameworld) vs some awkward nonsense that I have to put up with.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 26 March 2019 - 02:56 AM

• banned!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 25 March 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Even more so when you realise that thricecursed's "freedom" argument was made in regard to the player character's identity and personality, not the game's level design... :lol:

I mean, come on, guys.

Lol, you're literally some SJW that got lost in here, aren't you? I've seen you chastise people for using the word "pussy", calling Duke a misogynist, and in general you come across like a disapproving grandmother. Go wag your finger somewhere else.

View PostLazy Dog, on 25 March 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

i didn't asked anybody to interpret anything, everyone should be able to draw their own conclusions based on the games they played.

Okay then, let's NOT interpret it. No FPS released in 2010 (or in any other year) had levels formed by a single corridor interrupted by cutscenes, so whoever made that image is either a retard, a liar, or a lying retard.

• banned!

View PostAltered Reality, on 26 March 2019 - 03:04 AM, said:

Okay then, let's NOT interpret it. No FPS released in 2010 (or in any other year) had levels formed by a single corridor interrupted by cutscenes, so whoever made that image is either a retard, a liar, or a lying retard.

I don't know why you're so confident in asserting that. There was a move away from abstract level design towards more realistic settings. Mazes aren't really common in real life. If I go out now and walk down the street, it's basically a straight line with some turns every once in a while. I could go through people's back yards, but I don't know many games that allow you to do that, so you end up with pretty much that image. Ever played a Call of Duty game?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

No. It's not. Having a shit load of assets does not = complexity in the sense of gameplay. Doom and Quake and Duke3D outclass their modern brethren in GAMEPLAy complexity.

View Postthricecursed, on 26 March 2019 - 03:44 AM, said:

I don't know why you're so confident in asserting that. There was a move away from abstract level design towards more realistic settings. Mazes aren't really common in real life. If I go out now and walk down the street, it's basically a straight line with some turns every once in a while.

But I'm gonna see a vast environment outside, which that drawing doesn't show. I'm gonna encounter forks and turns which that drawing doesn't show. I can reach a destination through multiple pathways, which that drawing doesn't show.

View Postthricecursed, on 26 March 2019 - 03:44 AM, said:

Ever played a Call of Duty game?

No, never, because I hate multiplayer. Now I know that COD games have singleplayer campaigns, but even though I don't know exactly what they are like, I know from various reviews that they are ridiculously short and almost an afterthought, while even the blurb on the boxes emphasizes the multiplayer aspect. Playing COD for singleplayer would be like reading the National Geographic for fap material.
In the early 2010s, the latest games I liked best were the Crysis trilogy, and that drawing has nothing to do with what levels are like in Crysis.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 26 March 2019 - 03:46 AM, said:

No. It's not. Having a shit load of assets does not = complexity in the sense of gameplay. Doom and Quake and Duke3D outclass their modern brethren in GAMEPLAy complexity.

Can you rephrase those sentences, without the G word?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 26 March 2019 - 04:54 AM

• banned!

View PostAltered Reality, on 26 March 2019 - 04:47 AM, said:

But I'm gonna see a vast environment outside, which that drawing doesn't show. I'm gonna encounter forks and turns which that drawing doesn't show. I can reach a destination through multiple pathways, which that drawing doesn't show.

Not in COD you won't. Ever heard the term corridor shooter? It's exactly like that and it's influence reaches far beyond that particular franchise.

User is offline   Kathy 

Comparison is not fair when you compare an actual map design to something that is not. So that image is bullshit.
Besides, if you want a corridor shooter, then look no further than 1998.

• Judge Mental

View PostKathy, on 26 March 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

So that image is bullshit.

No. It fucking isn't.

When you strip away the set dressing, the old school map will be the same exact layout. When you strip away the set dressing onNUMEROUS modern shooters you are left with little more than a line.

User is offline   Kathy 

It's still not an actual map.

• banned!

View PostKathy, on 26 March 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

It's still not an actual map.

Posted Image

View PostCommando Nukem, on 26 March 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

No. It fucking isn't.

When you strip away the set dressing, the old school map will be the same exact layout. When you strip away the set dressing onNUMEROUS modern shooters you are left with little more than a line.

No, when you strip away the set dressing of a 1996 game, you get this:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 26 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

View Postthricecursed, on 26 March 2019 - 02:37 AM, said:

Lol, you're literally some SJW that got lost in here, aren't you?

Ah, another future mosque shooter. Why don't you go subscribe to PewDiePie, if you have not done so already? :lol:

View Postthricecursed, on 26 March 2019 - 02:37 AM, said:

you come across like a disapproving grandmother.

Good!

Posted Image

View PostCommando Nukem, on 26 March 2019 - 03:46 AM, said:

Again, guys, what the future mosque shooter was referring to when talking about freedom was the player character's identity and personality, not level design.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 26 March 2019 - 01:58 PM

• banned!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 26 March 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

future mosque shooter

Fucking lol. Bravo, mate. Excellent troll.

• The Sarien Encounter

Now you're getting it.

• Judge Mental

N

View PostAltered Reality, on 26 March 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

No, when you strip away the set dressing of a 1996 game, you get this:
Posted Image

No.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostAltered Reality, on 26 March 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

No, when you strip away the set dressing of a 1996 game, you get this
I can't believe what you're saying. :lol:

Look at the first level of Duke 3D; you have two ways to enter the cinema. You remember the bathroom, the arcade, the cinema hall, etc. But you don't need to go through all those places to finish the level. So that image is wrong, and I'm proving it with small portions from E1L1, which is a very simple level.

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 26 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options