Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

User is offline   xMobilemux 

There are many Duke things in the works according to JSJ as he said a while ago.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Whether or not it's a new game, another over priced, poorly done Duke3D port, whoring Duke out in other games or all 3 is anyone's guess.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostxMobilemux, on 24 May 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

There are many Duke things in the works according to JSJ as he said a while ago.
[img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/29fe/f/2017/349/4/d/77ogmgm_by_wesker500- dbwts3w.jpg [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/c45b/f/2017/349/f/1/edgerger_by_wesker500- dbwulfo.jpg[/img]
Whether or not it's a new game, another over priced, poorly done Duke3D port, whoring Duke out in other games or all 3 is anyone's guess.

Hmm.. this doesn't really verify me after all the Carribean trip advertisements and Bulletstorm Duke performances. I am very skeptical about this and more interested about that rumoured E3 reveal.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 24 May 2018 - 05:58 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I wonder if they'll finally make a Duke class in Borderlands

View PostHonza, on 22 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

If we ever see anything from that '98 or '01 trailer I expect it to be at most what the DNF2011 demo contained - say, 2-3 levels and it will be added with some shitty AAA title for people who pre-ordered. Then they will say oh, we did everything we could and the community is still not happy. Case closed.

Which is why they will never release anything. As long as nothing is released, anyone can dream about the unreleased material being the most awesome game ever.

User is offline   knopparp 

I take it there's no update on this?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

When It's (Not) Done :(

View PostTea Monster, on 04 June 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

When It's (Not) Done :(

Good god, I'm getting flashbacks. Dirty flashbacks.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

View PostHendricks266, on 04 June 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Posted Image

If it's purely in the hands of Gearbox, chances are we'll never see it. Load of old shit.

User is offline   Green 

View Postknopparp, on 04 June 2018 - 03:15 AM, said:

I take it there's no update on this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

The most recent information available was on the 6th of May and is from this Twitter thread : https://twitter.com/...964156696473601

Here's what I think about all of this...

I think Levelord's first gig in the gaming industry was as source model for the ref in Kung Fu...
Posted Image

If something happens it'll be a bit of a miracle, and it seems like Fred has formally signed off (which is probably good for his sanity and focus on his company's future).

View PostJumpJaneJump, on 04 June 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Here's what I think about all of this...

I think Levelord's first gig in the gaming industry was as source model for the ref in Kung Fu...
Posted Image

If something happens it'll be a bit of a miracle, and it seems like Fred has formally signed off (which is probably good for his sanity and focus on his company's future).

It's a shame that we got this whipped away from us as quick as it came. The fact that it's out there, sat on some computer, unexposed to the world is a shitter. I used to be a regular on 3DR forums back in the day, used to check back in for updates and I remember when that 2001 trailer first came out and those screenshots....it could've been a landmark gaming moment. You could see from those snippets even back then that something pretty special was in the works and for us to possibly get our hands on an albeit uncompleted version of that, would've been amazing.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJumpJaneJump, on 04 June 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

That's Karate Champ, not Kung Fu, which I used to play every weekend at the local arcade. The guy in white is in the first frame of the jumping side-kick animation. The guy in red just finished a mid-block, and if he isn't already buffering another block command, he's going to get KO'd in the next second. :(

By the way, if Levelord really was the ref for the animations, then his karate form was spot-on!

View Postknopparp, on 04 June 2018 - 04:07 PM, said:

It's a shame that we got this whipped away from us as quick as it came. The fact that it's out there, sat on some computer, unexposed to the world is a shitter. I used to be a regular on 3DR forums back in the day, used to check back in for updates and I remember when that 2001 trailer first came out and those screenshots....it could've been a landmark gaming moment. You could see from those snippets even back then that something pretty special was in the works and for us to possibly get our hands on an albeit uncompleted version of that, would've been amazing.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 June 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

That's Karate Champ, not Kung Fu...

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 June 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

The guy in white is in the first frame of the jumping side-kick animation. The guy in red just finished a mid-block, and if he isn't already buffering another block command, he's going to get KO'd in the next second. :(

Posted Image

This post has been edited by JumpJaneJump: 04 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Goddamnit, I forgot that the backflip and jumping kick start the same way.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 June 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Goddamnit, I forgot that the backflip and jumping kick start the same way.

Always expect the unexpected.

I think I have an NDA laying around I'm supposed to sign. Hmmm....

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Come on Randy and Gearbox! Give Duke fans some love here!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by KaijuTurtle: 14 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

Is Fred okay? Sounds like this whole ordeal has taken its toll on him.

View PostPikaCommando, on 14 June 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

He posted this a while back. I think he must be fed up of people pushing him for a version of a game from 17 years ago which is fair enough.

Don't get me wrong, It's totally fair that Fred and nu3DR have moved on from Duke. They tried what they could for it, but it didn't work out. It's just the second part of the message, the part i partially misquoted in my image, reads like sour grapes.

User is offline   HellFire 

Posted Image

So Fred shifts all blame to gearbox, and he has zero responsability. Sounds familiar, if anyone remembers the remastered/reloaded fiasco.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

That's so mean.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKaijuTurtle, on 14 June 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Posted Image

LMAO

View PostHellFire, on 14 June 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

So Fred shifts all blame to gearbox, and he has zero responsability. Sounds familiar, if anyone remembers the remastered/reloaded fiasco.

Unlike Reloaded, laying responsibility for the holdup at Gearbox's feet is correct relative to present circumstances. The only responsibility that could possibly be 3DR's is not releasing Duke 3D materials while they still owned it.

User is offline   M.C. Jammer 

• Richard Shead 2: Banned Harder

View PostPikaCommando, on 14 June 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

Fred is cool, but he basically brought this on himself. He spoke openly about how unbelievably incredible and awesome the older builds were and that they were 90% complete and even said he'd do everything within his power for them to be released. So did he honestly expect not to be badgered when the builds still weren't released after more than one year? I can almost understand him now wanting to wash his hands of this whole thing, but he was the subject of some very severe fan harassment some years ago, so maybe he should've thought things through a little better before basically boasting about what he got to play. Not trying to blame him too much because he probably thought at the time that he'd be able to make it come true for us and was speaking off the record as a fellow duke fan, which he was for most of his life leading up to founding the new 3DR

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The biggest problem I have besides promising us something he never released was screwing 3DR out of the old Duke rights by trying to make a top down shooter Duke game that nobody asked for. He was apologetic at the time, but....sigh.....got too greedy. Should have left it alone.

I just want either Randy or Fred to come out the wood work and just give us a quick update as to what's going on so then I can either get excited or forget that this ever happened.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Fred won't say anything more than he has. He's not involved with anything to do with Duke. There's no reason to think otherwise or to expect any news from him. Randy isn't going to say they're doing NOTHING because he wants to keep hope for the franchise alive and he's not going to give anything away that's exciting because he's not actually working on anything Duke-related. So just go ahead and forget it ever happened and have some peace of mind.

User is offline   Hank 

All Fred did is let the Duke fans know that there is an obscure beta file on a hard drive. (OK he exaggerated a wee bit on the playability)

Can't you guys see that he is simply a mega huge Duke fan?
Can't you guys see that Gearbox cares nothing about except cash?

Fred simply tried to liven up things for Duke, and Duke needs something to raise above the grave.

The above is my never humble opinion.

They are both trying to get the fandom excited over NOTHING. Fred is like "OMG DNF 2001 WAS TEH BEST GAEM EVAR!!!111!!1" and Randy is like "OMG WE AER DOING SO MANEY THIGNS WITH DOOK NOOKAM!!11!!!1" I say stop thinking about Fred, and stop thinking about Randy.
Being a fan is not enough when you work in the industry. When you work in the industry you need to put up or shut up.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 16 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options