Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

View PostOccludeOlga, on 03 January 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

There were a handful of view modes, yeah. Thermal dated from the roach era where you could see them inside of people. It's probably still implemented, though unused, but every single interactive item had a "heat" value as well which allowed items to become visible in Heat Vision for various puzzles. Never really fleshed out but had some promise. You could turn things on and watch them heat up, then turn off and watch them cool down, etc.

I don't have DNF installed currently, but I'm kinda curious if the cheat codes work at all if you enable the console? dncashman (and pretty much all the OG Duke 3D cheats) were re-implemented. More amusingly, dnaha would switch your view mode into a white background and blue pencil drawing rendering style that Pollard implemented for fun... and it would play "Take On Me"... hahah. I'm certain the music was deleted but not sure if the rendering mode survived.

Everything had the potential to be affected by EMPs, yes. For all its quirks, the system for setting up "dnDecorations" was incredibly powerful. We didn't have access to something like UE4 blueprint or CoD Script, but a combination of UnrealScript, native C++ code, and Kyle Davis making infinite arrays within arrays of structures stable gave an obscene amount of scripting power to designers without needing to write code, and for little effort. I wrote a lot of code, but almost all of it was geared toward giving the other level designers tools to do whatever the hell they wanted. Being affected by an EMP was just another behavior among them all. What ultimately shipped is a very stripped down usage of the system (completely understandable btw).

It's one of the most interesting industry stories, not everyone gets to be a part of something like it. I'm glad to be able to share... and do my best to maintain credibility of having been honest as bits and pieces continue to come to light through the decades. :lol:

The real Slick Willy... and Lake Mead with the giant water bowl under the Fathership... were great, lost to history, unfinished missions. :)

Oh that's really interesting to hear! :lol:

Regarding the cheats, dnaha is not present. There are dn3d cheats but not all work (interestingly dnkroz is referenced in dngame.u but it doesn't work at all in 1.00. Note that final 1.03 DNF does NOT work with any of the cheats) Specifically the following dn3d cheats don't work: dntodd, dnalien, dnbeta, dnkeys, dnstuff, dninventory, dncosmo, dncornholio, dnshowmap, dnskill, dncashman, dnview, dnkroz, dnhyper, dnitems. The rest work (albeit dnunlock unlocks all the maps in chapter select IIRC, which is funny since you have dnunlockmap and dnunlockallmaps which I think do the same thing) I know there was some sort of pencil rendering mode but I can't remember what the console command for that was atm. If I find it, I'll post it as quick as I can.

there are a few more cheats that are exclusive to DNF like dnammo, dnbarrel, dnbox, dnsetmesh, dncontroller (it seems to switch duke's physics from meqon to karma I think) and dnbullettime. dnbullettime is broken by default since it alters duke's speed to be super fast but the rest isn't affected. I know I fucked around with this a bit and found the script in dngame.u and was able to turn that down a notch but IIRC the code to slow everything else down was broken or something and I had to slow that down via the slomo command.

I know I'm missing a few like dntalk, dnlisten, dnblind (which makes duke cover his eyes with his left hand, no clue what that's about), dncopy, dnpaste but a good chunk of these don't work. (dnball bizarrely spawns a brick for some reason, and dnswarm is set to spawn those balls you find in the dlc via "ConsoleCommand("summon BombBallSwarm");", but since they are not present in the base game, it never works) . There's other weird shit I found like checkforchristmas inside dndecoration inside dngame.u but I digress

Speaking of bullettime, there's numerous slowmo variables inside dukeplayer and other npcs which I always found odd and could never get them to work. Not sure if this is related to the removed egotrip function or something, or the dnbullettime cheat. (or something else entirely)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostZaxx, on 31 December 2019 - 03:12 AM, said:

when it comes to being skilled in FPS Fred is fine, hell, he's even better than the avarage player (mainly because the avarage player is just awful but still), what the horsefucker says is mainly coming from hate.

Dude, Fred isn't a real gamer. He's never even said the word nigger, because his fruity European ancestry forbids it.

View PostZaxx, on 31 December 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yes it is but for example if you look at DNF 2011 what you'll see is that it's not treated as such. The game's full of stupid stuff like you being able to lift weights, play air hockey, there's even a goddamn pinball machine in there, meanwhile pretty much half of the arsenal feels bad to use (anybody ever used the alien weapons in DNF? anyone?). You just don't get why 3DR wasted so much time and effort on some mediocre pinballing instead of polishing up the weapons, the movement, the enemies etc. That's the same feeling I get when looking at DNF 2001 sadly: sure, the vending machine is great, the Vegas skybox looks for amazing for the time, the maps seem quite open and explorable but that core gameplay loop, minute-to-minute gameplay or whatever you want to call it is just no there sadly.

Because DNF 2011 is cobbled together bullshit. 3DR didn't waste this time. Triptych did. It's extremely obvious that Triptych dumped a bunch of the promised interactivity into unfinished set-pieces and polished everything with diarrhea. People like you blame George, but even George says that version of the game should have never been released. I've said this many times over the years and he's finally confirmed it. DNF 2011 would have never been released under George's leadership. Which isn't to say that it would have ever been released under his leadership.

But I think an enigma is better than a shit sundae.

View PostZaxx, on 31 December 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

For example most people say that Doom 3 had mediocre gunplay and boring gameplay in general, what they don't say is how awesome it was playing Super Turbo Turkey Puncher or that it was quite the thing to be able to "realistically" push buttons on consoles and computer screens. That interactivity is fun for 5 seconds but once those 5 seconds pass you realize that you're stuck with 20 hours of mediocre FPS... So yeah, interactivity is important for a Duke game but it should be stuff that dresses up the gameplay, I dunno, let me kick up a table to use it as cover, give me the most detailed melee system in an FPS where I can kick aliens in the dick if I want to, something that I'll use more while playing the game instead of just looking at it once.

I agree with you here. If you really read what Charlie describes, this was a game where "unintended consequences" were encouraged. (Just like DN3D.) Triptych turned grabbing turds into a feature. BADASS!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 January 2020 - 10:18 PM, said:

George simply doesn't want to admit, that he fucked up. He fucked up. He let the ball get out of his hands. He fucked up. They could have stopped iterating at any point and just finished from where they were. He chose not to do that until he had no choice, by which time it was too late.

I still think, most importantly, that Scott fucked up. It's not clear whether he ever came to George and said "This has to stop." And if he did, it was much too late.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 January 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

Would you say Lameduke is a prototype? I wouldn't. I think it's too developed. You could easily pause at that point and start polishing that up to get it to the finish line. I'm not saying it would be great or even good.

Posted Image

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 January 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

If George actually believes his tweets there, then it can only mean he was fully ready to deceive everyone to the max. 3D Realms dropped bank to have David Arkenstone compose the Duke Nukem theme with an actual orchestral arrangement. Above and beyond. Spent the coin to make that 2001 E3 event a time for 3D Realms to "Crash E3" with a Duke cosplay, strippers, huge display. Handing out swag.. On and on. All on, at that time, "some prototypes."

I mean, it's possible. This is what's known as a "Boomer Move." "Fake it until you make it" is peak Boomer behavior. I really love Apogee, I do. But as an adult we do have to put away some childish things, and I think it's childish to believe that Apogee was anything more than a cash machine for an unnamed person who was unfit to lead the company overall. How can I say this? A European owns it now. He rode the cash machine until it blew up. Terrible Boomer business practices, just read Masters of Doom and see why id Software stopped doing business with them.

This post has been edited by HorseDongSub69: 03 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostKerr Avon, on 02 January 2020 - 06:39 AM, said:

If George is telling the truth about the '2001 build' being just bits and bobs that are largely unconnected, then what was his company doing when they should have been working? Even allowing for the engine change, you'd expect parts of the on-going project to (back then) exist as playable parts of a game, even if some of those parts would later be dropped or altered so much as to be unrecognisable later.

The team was almost never large enough to handle the ambition of the project.

View PostKerr Avon, on 02 January 2020 - 06:39 AM, said:

Did George work on Duke Nukem: Zero Hour? If not, then he's clearly far from indispensable for a good Duke Nukem game.

The sad part is I do think that George had his thumb firmly up the ass of the gamers who liked Duke and felt the pulse. Probably not so much anymore. Any Duke game should have George as a consultant on tone, writing, aesthetics, etc.

View Postnecroslut, on 02 January 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

Oh come on, I like Zero Hour but frankly it can't hold a candle to Duke 3D, neither in terms of quality nor ambition.

ZH is the best Duke Nukem 3D sequel. Almost all of it's faults can be chalked up to being on the N64. It really should have been a PC game. It was on fucking BUILD!

View PostZaxx, on 02 January 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

Hey, we got a shitty level with no gameplay where you had to walk around collecting vibrators and shit, that was original.

Triptych, the Pinnacle of Entertaintment Software

View PostZaxx, on 02 January 2020 - 04:10 PM, said:

Why even think about stuff like this though? The game is clearly not in a state where it could be enjoyed as a videogame per se, just as a curiosity of what could have been but ultimately never was.

I mean this applies to DNF 2011 too lmao

View PostZaxx, on 02 January 2020 - 04:10 PM, said:

The main thing though: we're never getting DNF 2001, like the most we can hope for is that somebody posts that stream somewhere for all to see but the build itself will never pop up online UNLESS somebody leaks it (and nobody's leaking it). Even if the Duke Collection Pitchfrod was talking about 2000 years ago becomes a reality based on his tweets the most you can expect is a stripped down "virtual museum tour" where you'll be able to look at parts of maps and assets.

I hate Randy with a passion. But I genuinely believe that dude wants to release DNF, I don't think he's holding it back at all. It's a bit of an insurmountable task.

View PostKareBear, on 03 January 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

Charlie I have a few questions about 2001 era DNF for you,if you don't mind.

How big of a role "Grey" aliens were to play in 2001 era DNF,were they intended to be enemies or just passive npcs?

Somebody at 3DR was a huge conspiracy theorist. I don't know if Charlie could tell us anything here, but even like the design of Area 51 in Duke 3D, somebody was listening to deep conspiracy shit, specifically Bob Lazar. I'd be interested to know where that came from, because it looks like their knowledge of the subject ended up in early versions of DNF as well.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHorseDongSub69, on 03 January 2020 - 09:34 PM, said:

People like you blame George, but even George says that version of the game should have never been released.

I don't blame George for the quality of DNF 2011, not since that interview with Scott Miller where he explained that they had different expectations when it comes to the deal they struck with Gearbox. He said that they expected GBX to help out with development in a way that would have allowed Tryptich to basically properly finish up the game by solving certain issues they had with it. That didn't happen, those issues are still in the game, on top of that a bunch of stuff got cut (a lot more than what 3DR originally intended) while GBX only took care the console ports and the multipalyer through outsourcing.

So even after the shitshow of 2009 a decent game was absolutely a possibility, it's just that 2K / GBX (with the emphasis being on 2K I guess) didn't want to spend the money = it seems like the publisher is to blame for the things that happened after 2009 while George (and Scott) is mainly responsible for the troubled development overall.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostHorseDongSub69, on 03 January 2020 - 09:41 PM, said:

The team was almost never large enough to handle the ambition of the project.

Maybe it could have been, if tech and budgets hadn't ballooned to the extent that they did during DNF's development. At 99-ish era graphics, they could probably have pulled it off, given enough time. Which, of course, they weren't.

The sad part is I do think that George had his thumb firmly up the ass of the gamers who liked Duke and felt the pulse. Probably not so much anymore. Any Duke game should have George as a consultant on tone, writing, aesthetics, etc.

Ideally, if he'd even want to, but I think it's unlikely to happen even if we get a new Duke game.

ZH is the best Duke Nukem 3D sequel. Almost all of it's faults can be chalked up to being on the N64. It really should have been a PC game. It was on fucking BUILD!

I always thought Shadow Warrior was the best Duke 3D sequel, but I guess it doesn't really count. ZH is definitely stands leaps above the other spin-offs (barring maybe Manhattan Project, but that's harder to compare), but things like level design simply isn't as good as in 3D (or Shadow Warrior). The tone is much more cartoony and comedic too.
The whole reason for it existing is to be on the N64, if it had been developed as a PC title I'm sure many things would have been designed differently, if it would have happened at all. Even then, I'm not convinced Eurocom was as good a developer.

I hate Randy with a passion. But I genuinely believe that dude wants to release DNF, I don't think he's holding it back at all. It's a bit of an insurmountable task.

Indeed. I think 2K gets cut far too much slack when it comes to these things.

View PostZaxx, on 03 January 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

I don't blame George for the quality of DNF 2011, not since that interview with Scott Miller where he explained that they had different expectations when it comes to the deal they struck with Gearbox. He said that they expected GBX to help out with development in a way that would have allowed Tryptich to basically properly finish up the game by solving certain issues they had with it. That didn't happen, those issues are still in the game, on top of that a bunch of stuff got cut (a lot more than what 3DR originally intended) while GBX only took care the console ports and the multipalyer through outsourcing.

So even after the shitshow of 2009 a decent game was absolutely a possibility, it's just that 2K / GBX (with the emphasis being on 2K I guess) didn't want to spend the money = it seems like the publisher is to blame for the things that happened after 2009 while George (and Scott) is mainly responsible for the troubled development overall.

Yeah, Scotts narrative fits with what some of the Triptych guys have said too.

User is offline   K100 

In the topic of the old version of DNF:
I just watched this video from last year about Randy and Levelord talking about DN3D, and at the end he pretty much confirm there will be no DNF compilation, and he explain why. (Around 43min)

https://youtu.be/ue5MLsD0Rto

He also said they are working on an animated Duke show, but I think it's nothing new.

View PostFuturetime23, on 03 January 2020 - 07:54 PM, said:

Regarding the cheats, dnaha is not present.

I just tried things out locally and found out how locked down the released build is. WTF. Awful.

Dude, Fred isn't a real gamer. He's never even said the word nigger, because his fruity European ancestry forbids it.

Hey super sexy faggot, why are you being such a nigger about Fred? He's doing his best with his 4chan account.

But I think an enigma is better than a shit sundae.

Posted Image

I still think, most importantly, that Scott fucked up. It's not clear whether he ever came to George and said "This has to stop." And if he did, it was much too late.

Scott tried to step in. George and Scott tried to correct the ship, they weren't bad guys.

User is offline   Green 

View PostOccludeOlga, on 03 January 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

Scott tried to step in. George and Scott tried to correct the ship, they weren't bad guys.

The IGN Unfiltered interview with Scott Miller is rather informative. According to Scott around 2003 they were talking to Digital Extremes about taking over Duke Nukem Forever but George didn't agree and believed 3D Realms could finish the game themselves.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostK100, on 03 January 2020 - 10:44 PM, said:

I just watched this video from last year about Randy and Levelord talking about DN3D, and at the end he pretty much confirm there will be no DNF compilation, and he explain why. (Around 43min)

>Randy lowkey suggesting it should just get leaked

LOL. Nice.

I just tried things out locally and found out how locked down the released build is. WTF. Awful.

Take-Two Dicks In Your Ass Interactive

I think someone released a hacky patch that re-enabled the console, but then an official patch was pushed out that made the tilde button crash the game. LOL

Hey super sexy faggot, why are you being such a nigger about Fred? He's doing his best with his 4chan account.

I'm an American, hating Europeans is my trade. He's an annoying interloper whose aspergers fucked up a lot of things for this community, including the Hail to the King Collection which I kind of take a little too personally.

Too little too late then I suppose. I don't dislike either of them. Just really bad management of things that could have been far greater. I feel a deep sadness for them both.

User is offline   necroslut 

In the original release you could do a lot of fun stuff with the console, but it was patched out sadly.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

https://youtu.be/ue5MLsD0Rto

Okay so based on that (essentially "DNF 2001 won't be released because the people who have worked on DNF don't want it released but once all of us are dead you may have it") there is one way we'd be able to see DNF 2001: by outliving everyone who has ever worked on the game. In order to accomplish that I suggest turning this thread into a guide on how to live a healthy life. :lol: I think anyone under 40 has a chance to see it, great news!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You can only play Duke Nukem Forever after you've killed every other fan and developer of the game.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.

View Postnecroslut, on 03 January 2020 - 11:01 PM, said:

In the original release you could do a lot of fun stuff with the console, but it was patched out sadly.

Game Ruined. :lol:

View PostGreen, on 03 January 2020 - 10:58 PM, said:

The IGN Unfiltered interview with Scott Miller is rather informative. According to Scott around 2003 they were talking to Digital Extremes about taking over Duke Nukem Forever but George didn't agree and believed 3D Realms could finish the game themselves.

That is such a bullshit interview. Scott had plenty of opportunity. I have to disengage now. FFS/

User is offline   Green 

View PostHorseDongSub69, on 03 January 2020 - 11:08 PM, said:

You can only play Duke Nukem Forever after you've killed every other fan and developer of the game.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.

Given time the problem will work itself out....meanwhile, buried in the depths of a Duke Nukem Forever .u file.
Posted Image

View PostOccludeOlga, on 03 January 2020 - 11:12 PM, said:

That is such a bullshit interview. Scott had plenty of opportunity. I have to disengage now. FFS/

Having now listened to the full thing, I retract my statement. It's a good interview overall.

haha that Duke 3D Rodeo Shootout photo. :lol:

I regret ever wearing the Duke 3D shirt I got that day.

This post has been edited by OccludeOlga'sOcculus: 04 January 2020 - 04:44 AM

View PostOccludeOlga, on 04 January 2020 - 03:41 AM, said:

Having now listened to the full thing, I retract my statement. It's a good interview overall.

haha that Duke 3D Rodeo Shootout photo. :lol:

I regret ever wearing the Duke 3D shirt I got that day.

I should note there's a downgrader which converts DNF 1.03 to 1.00, allowing you to use the console, on this page (scroll down to find it) https://duke4ever.al....org/files.html

I think the downgrader has an option to semi reenable the console for 1.03 as well but I never tried it personally, so I can't comment on it.

View PostFuturetime23, on 04 January 2020 - 04:15 AM, said:

I think the downgrader has an option to semi reenable the console for 1.03 as well but I never tried it personally, so I can't comment on it.

Unfortunately I don't think this still works. Will try again later.

View PostZaxx, on 03 January 2020 - 11:06 PM, said:

Okay so based on that...

You can only play Duke Nukem Forever after you've killed every other fan and developer of the game....

Randy gave an exceptionally high quality answer at the end of that video. :lol:

View PostOccludeOlga, on 04 January 2020 - 04:56 AM, said:

Unfortunately I don't think this still works. Will try again later.

Randy gave an exceptionally high quality answer at the end of that video. :lol:

One thing I forgot to mention, you need to bind the console to a key - use notepad++ when editing user.ini to do that (to preserve the original file formatting, otherwise the file breaks) | Type is what triggers the console.
For example: O=| Type

Posted Image

Fred was always better at 4CH than he was 3DR.

Fixed for ya:

You can kill every other fan and developer of Duke Nukem Forever only after you've played the game.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 04 January 2020 - 09:03 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Let's work together.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostOccludeOlga, on 04 January 2020 - 04:56 AM, said:

y gave an exceptionally high quality answer at the end of that video. :lol:

So was the porn chosen by you guys or was that strictly a higher management call?

View PostCommando Nukem, on 04 January 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

So was the porn chosen by you guys or was that strictly a higher management call?

Finally someone is asking the real questions.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 04 January 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

Google "Natalie Porkman"(yes, with a 'k'). :lol:

• Judge Mental

View Postdukefan4evah02, on 04 January 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

I... Why? What's the joke?

IM OUT OF TOUCH, HELP ME.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 04 January 2020 - 02:47 PM, said:

I... Why? What's the joke?

IM OUT OF TOUCH, HELP ME.

You familiar with wieder's history? :lol:

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I always associate Wieder with chairs

• Judge Mental

View Postdukefan4evah02, on 04 January 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

You familiar with wieder's history? :lol:

I thought he was more into Britney Spears.

User is online   ck3D 

View Postdukefan4evah02, on 04 January 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

And don't expect female Pigcop sprite sheets to show up in the results.

• Judge Mental

View Postck3D, on 04 January 2020 - 05:00 PM, said:

And don't expect female Pigcop sprite sheets to show up in the results.

Oh God. Now i'm thinking about that one avatar that dude used to have on 3D Realms forums that was a rotund woman photoshopped with the pig cop action figures head on er...

Hey, Natalie Porkman:
https://www.tripadvi...e_Victoria.html

“Underwhelmed and disappointed”

That sums up being a Duke Nukem Forever acolyte all these years.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options