Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAltered Reality, on 26 March 2019 - 04:47 AM, said:

Can you rephrase those sentences, without the G word?

Here is a old blog by a level designer from Bio Shock, about Doom levels.
http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74
from the article:
So because the player moves so quickly in Doom, and because most enemy attacks are dodgeable, the player can avoid a significant amount of damage simply by moving. A skilled player can often deal with large numbers of enemies sustaining hardly a scratch. This creates a feeling that’s quite rare in modern FPS: that you are powerful because you are agile, not because you’re a tank.

No G word. :lol:

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 26 March 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

another future mosque shooter

Posted Image

View PostPerro Seco, on 26 March 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

Look at the first level of Duke 3D; you have two ways to enter the cinema. You remember the bathroom, the arcade, the cinema hall, etc. But you don't need to go through all those places to finish the level. So that image is wrong, and I'm proving it with small portions from E1L1, which is a very simple level.

Hollywood Holocaust is an incredibly-designed level and easily the most memorable in Duke Nukem 3D as far as I am concerned, but I definitely would not call it "very simple", as such description would better fit levels like Spin Cycle, Lunatic Fringe and particularly Stadium.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 March 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

Hey, now. When did this escalate to name-calling?

When you started calling me a "contrarian" for apparently failing to show the proper level of reverence towards forgettable Duke Nukem titles and when your insulting buddies got really really angry at the people who admit to enjoy the things that they do not and vice-versa. :lol:

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 26 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

View PostPerro Seco, on 26 March 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

You remember the bathroom, the arcade, the cinema hall, etc. But you don't need to go through all those places to finish the level.

So they're set dressing.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 26 March 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

When you started calling me a "contrarian"

"name-calling"

"contrarian"

what

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostAltered Reality, on 26 March 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

So they're set dressing.
No, because they alter gameplay.

I may be wrong, but by set dressing I understand things like the ship you can see at the end of E4L8, the small outdoor area at the beginning of E2L8, the bank entrance you can see at the end of E3L1, etc.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 26 March 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

When you started calling me a "contrarian" for apparently failing to show the proper level of reverence towards forgettable Duke Nukem titles and when your insulting buddies got really really angry at the people who admit to enjoy the things that they do not and vice-versa. :lol:

Lol

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostNinety-Six, on 26 March 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

"name-calling"

"contrarian"

what

It's a microaggression, you see.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

This is a better image, I think:

Posted Image

User is offline   Kathy 

It is, but I've missed and downvoted you... :lol:

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 March 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

Lol

Disingenuous dickhead.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. knopparp was right: the conversation has nothing to do with Duke Nukem Forever's 2001 Build. If you and your fellow Schrödinger's Douchebags want to continue being sore at other players for not being "real" Duke Nukem fans, I suggest we take this to the "Duke Being Put To Pasture?" thread.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 27 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I never insulted you. But you know that.

I've got nothing against you or your tastes. You can be whatever kind of fan you want to be. I said that already. Actually, I think you're the one who's being disingenuous.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 27 March 2019 - 01:38 PM, said:

Disingenuous dickhead.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. knopparp was right: the conversation has nothing to do with Duke Nukem Forever's 2001 Build. If you and your fellow Schrödinger's Douchebags want to continue being sore at other players for not being "real" Duke Nukem fans, I suggest we take this to the "Duke Being Put To Pasture?" thread.

On a serious note now if you don't mind me chiming in, I think the problem isn't about the points you're presenting, more so about the way you are presenting them. You seem to project a lot of preconceived assumptions over whoever dares to disagree with you, which distracts from the substance you want your posts to have, and you're oftentimes the one escalating the discussions (i.e.. sorry but 'contrarian' and 'douchebag' aren't on the same level of language at all). It's that apparent attitude that makes your posts tough to read, not what you're essentially trying to say.

Not saying no one else ever did the same thing and gave you unfair shit on here or on the Internet altogether but that's what it is, the Internet, expect the occasional miscommunication and if you're going to be a part of it, make sure you grow skin thick enough to endure different opinions and even the occasional gratuitous name calling you seem so prone to take part in as well, yourself.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 28 March 2019 - 03:56 AM

View Postck3D, on 28 March 2019 - 03:53 AM, said:

You seem to project a lot of preconceived assumptions over whoever dares to disagree with you

I reject that accusation; I tried to remain as cordial as I could, despite some of the people I have been arguing with making no such effort or. The snide remarks I have made were made in response to them, but the difference is that I have at least the honesty of not trying to pass them off as "jokes".

sorry but 'contrarian' and 'douchebag' aren't on the same level of language at all

No, not "douchebag"; Schrödinger's Douchebag, i.e. someone who makes deliberately shitty comments only to pretend they were just joking the moment they get the slightest amount of pushback.

Not saying no one else ever did the same thing and gave you unfair shit on here or on the Internet altogether but that's what it is, the Internet, expect the occasional miscommunication

"Occasional miscommunication"... Oh my god, get the fuck out. :lol:

make sure you grow skin thick enough to endure different opinions

Fuck you. Where were you when people freaked the fuck out because I merely pointed out that Duke Nukem tends to objectify women? Where were you when I got accused of not sounding like a "real" Duke Nukem fan for not looking back at the Duke Nukem franchise with rose-tinted glasses? Where were you when some douche nozzle decided to dedicate an entire comment to unprovokedly insult people who prefer more realistic protagonists over the mute blank slate type? I am not going to "grow a thicker skin" when others have shown no interest in doing so.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 28 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 28 March 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

No, not "douchebag"; Schrödinger's Douchebag, i.e. someone who makes deliberately shitty comments only to pretend they were just joking the moment they get the slightest amount of pushback.

Was anyone pretending, honestly? If the downvotes weren't enough of an indication, let me spell it out for you: I don't think people like you here. Don't mistake that for hate, though. Nobody cares that much.

I reject that accusation; I tried to remain as cordial as I could, despite some of the people I have been arguing with making no such effort or. The snide remarks I have made were made in response to them, but the difference is that I have at least the honesty of not trying to pass them off as "jokes".

"Occasional miscommunication"... Oh my god, get the fuck out. :lol:

Fuck you. Where were you when people freaked the fuck out because I merely pointed out that Duke Nukem tends to objectify women? Where were you when I got accused of not sounding like a "real" Duke Nukem fan for not looking back at the Duke Nukem franchise with rose-tinted glasses? Where were you when some douche nozzle decided to dedicate an entire comment to unprovokedly insult people who prefer more realistic protagonists over the mute blank slate type? I am not going to "grow a thicker skin" when others have shown no interest in doing so.

Take it from someone who used to be universally hated here. Stop. Right now. Look back at my old posts, learn from them. I look back now and despise my old posts. Take their advice, you're on the internet, thicken up that skin. This is no place for a snowflake.

so what you're saying is that this gem of a post was 100% serious:

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 17 March 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

I can honestly say that you sound like you are only one step away from shooting up a mosque... :lol:

ok

That is not even remotely what happened. Let me remind you that you were the one who escalated this conflict. You can not play victim after dropping a line like the above before anyone else said anything.

Fuck you. Where were you when people freaked the fuck out because I merely pointed out that Duke Nukem tends to objectify women?

"freaked the fuck out"

You seem to be under the impression that disagreement is a one-way street. And that people can not, in fact, disagree with your disagreement. Myself and Musically remained polite and cordial the entire time; the only reason we gave up is because you appeared to be either deliberately missing the point of our replies, or otherwise were so far off-mark we didn't feel it was worth continuing. Even futuretime, though he spoke roughly, never directly attacked you. He called the debate itself moronic, but not you.

Where were you when I got accused of not sounding like a "real" Duke Nukem fan for not looking back at the Duke Nukem franchise with rose-tinted glasses?

When did this happen, exactly? Was it this?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 March 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

Serously, Johnnyboy. Why are you here? I'm trying to figure it out. You don't sound like a fan at all. I'm not gatekeeping or anything, you can be whatever kind of fan you want to be (or not if that may be the case), but you just seem like you have an awful lot to say about how wrong everyone is about Duke Nukem and his games. I'd guess that you're one of those like Kathy who loves the gameplay and just doesn't care about Duke the character, but you keep saying it's not a successful franchise and was never good to begin with. So why are you here trying to convince people who love Duke that they shouldn't love Duke because reasons? What's your endgame here, if you have one?

This was not an "accusation." This was not a "no real scotsman" argument. This was, quite literally, a question of why you were here since the only things you seemed to do was shit on him and his games. He even went on to say you could totally do that and it would be fine, but he just wanted to understand why.

This is something I have noticed about you. You seem to hitch onto the tiniest things in someone's post, then blow it up to massive proportions and completely ignore the rest of it. You've done that here, you've done that to me, you've done that to nearly everyone who has engaged in debate with you.

Where were you when some douche nozzle decided to dedicate an entire comment to unprovokedly insult people who prefer more realistic protagonists over the mute blank slate type? I am not going to "grow a thicker skin" when others have shown no interest in doing so.

Fuegerstaf talked with no filter. Welcome to duke4.

Once again it was not a personal attack against you. He was clearly venting frustration with what he felt was a turn in modern gaming that he despised. You hadn't really even given indication beforehand that you were one of those people in that group. If you had, maybe it wouldn't have been so biting, but I can't speak for him. Maybe he would have gone on anyway.

Regardless however, the fact that you are this riled-up over what we'll call a "drive-by insult" or a scattershot insult indicates you really do not have thick skin of any kind. You get insulted by non-specific things, hitch on them, and get mad about it.

We would all be more than happy to have you in the community, but you seem hellbent on going to war with everyone who does not share your views, and assume everyone else is the same. Once again I would like to remind you that all we did was disagree with you. But you looked for places where you could be insulted and play victim, and therefore justify further offensive actions on your part.

No one is saying you can't have your opinions. No one. But if you're going to speak them in a public forum, it is only fair for those who disagree to challenge said opinions. A lot of us have a few contrarian opinions. But we discuss them. We bring up points and counterpoints. Some of us speak more rough than others, but that's just how it is here on duke4. If you wanna be here, go right ahead. I'm not going to stop you and I would love to see you as an active and productive member of this community. But you have to be able to meet us halfway, and roll with the occasional punch, not have a meltdown over driveby insults, and not hitch on the tiniest insignificant things in a post in an effort to dodge the rest of it.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 28 March 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

This is no place for a snowflake.

You seemed rather annoyed when I expressed interest in a game where Duke Nukem would be the villain. :lol:

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 28 March 2019 - 04:14 PM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 28 March 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

You seemed rather annoyed when I expressed interest in a game where Duke Nukem would be the villain. :lol:

Annoyed, yes, because Duke is a character that means a lot to me. But I don't recall going to the lengths you have. I simply stated my opinion. If I came off as too rude that only furthers what I'm trying to get across.

View Postck3D, on 28 March 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Have fun arguing over issues as serious as people's rights on a forum dedicated to a game in which you pay strippers and kill shit, dude.

I really was not, though; I just mentioned the fact that Duke Nukem objectifies women, which apparently was enough to spark an outrage among the definitely thick-skinned "real" Duke Nukem fans... :lol:

I do like how you unintentionally suggested that you have to be some sort of troglodyte to play Duke Nukem 3D, though. :huh:

Schrödinger's Douchebag is still a douchebag.

You said it, not me. :lol:

Thick skin and open mind go hand in hand.

You clearly do not have either of those, so fuck off. Take your own fucking advice before giving it to people who did not even ask for it.

Anyway, I said I was done with this thread, so if you want to keep telling me to behave on a forum where nobody else is expected to behave, feel free to drop me a private message or something...

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 28 March 2019 - 07:47 PM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 28 March 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

I really was not, though; I just mentioned the fact that Duke Nukem objectifies women, which apparently was enough to spark an outrage among the definitely thick-skinned "real" Duke Nukem fans who claim to hate "political correctness" so much... :lol:

You clearly do not have either of those, so fuck off. Take your own fucking advice before giving it to people who did not even ask for it.

yeah sure dude

User is offline   ck3D 

I clearly have neither a thick skin nor an open mind because of what? I don't think I even shared any of my views on here. Please tell me more, and again keep your extra two F's.

Also this is a public forum, not a private chat. People keep checking this thread for Duke related news only to see you calling people names left and right. You even just started it again with me. I'll put it on the account of the history of people giving you shit on here but come on, don't make me the fucking scapegoat of this shitstorm. You yet again just proved you couldn't be cordial to somebody being cordial to you.

I like the idea of you bringing up certain subjects but maybe they would be better suited for their own threads, if anything. I think a lot of the heat you're catching might have to do with people subconsciously getting fed up with your side commentary that is - again - not uninteresting per se, but can generate lengthy side discussions that derail threads.

Seriously now what have I done to you man? This is hilarious. Take a chill pill, we'll be OK.

edit - posted as you were editing your post. I don't give enough of a shit to PM you, I know you'll check this thread anyway, if not whatever. All is good on the Internet.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 28 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

ck3d "trolling" someone

seen it all

the internet can officially shut off now

Fuck you.

Where were you when people freaked the fuck out because I merely pointed out that Duke Nukem tends to objectify women?

Nobody objectifies women more than women... and any complaints of being objectified you hear are nothing more than ancient primal survival mechanisms invoked to avoid being pursued by the likes of you, not by Duke.

That you haven't figured this out yet advertises to everyone here loud and clear where you're at.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Posted Image

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View Postfuegerstef, on 22 March 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

Fuck those idiots. No, really. Fuck them. That's only because they don't have any personality at all themselves and need to "become" a fictional character because they cannot experience an adventure themselves because they are brainless fucktards who will never achieve anything (or are too young for a developed personality).

I really need to find the source for that again: There was a survey among WoW players. Those with a strong and developed personality who were also quite satisfied with their lives made characters close to themselves. MY take on that: They also cand fill the void of a Gordon Freeman or the stereotype of a Duke (who has no developing character arc and is only a flat stereotype).
Those who weren't happy with their lives or had a weak personality made the wildest characters with the wildest names ... because then they could be somebody else. Those people need a fleshed out ingame-character as they are too undedeveloped to fill out the shell of a game's main protagonist, like Duke, Gordon, Doomguy, etc ...

Again: Fuck them.

Well, I understand now why people hate making themselves even in Sims games. I could never quite understand why people hate the idea of making characters close to themselves to experience various adventures, like seriously, I've been asking myself lately when I saw a similar poll for Sims at some point and was surprised that people hated to make themselves there and there were majority of this kind of people. They seriously must hate themselves if it's that bad. Still, it creates a paradox because you can't really write a good character if you have no imagination, haven't read books or at least lack some personal experience which would make good contribution to the character writing which is maybe why a lot of various media including books suffer from terrible writing.

Though there is nothing wrong with established characters assuming they were written well. It works better in books because there is more talent there, but good writing isn't alien to video games either, especially when some of them are based on literature and people put some love into making games. Either way it works the best when you're able to feel any sympathy for the established character, I mean, why would you like to play absolutely terribly written, unlikable and obnoxious faggot?

View PostZor, on 23 March 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

This is actually a very clever shitposting and perfect example of shitty writing and terrible character design, I wonder if you did it on purpose. This piece of shit was liked exactly by talentless faggot journalists and this is one of those cases when I can believe that they actually praised this shit for free because they still can't let it go.

View Postthricecursed, on 26 March 2019 - 02:33 AM, said:

I just think most stories in games suck (partly for the reasons fuegerstef outlined), so I'd rather have nothing (making it easier for me to insert myself into the gameworld) vs some awkward nonsense that I have to put up with.

He forgot to mention that usually the types he described are writing for video games too and quite often these days.

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 26 March 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

Ah, another future mosque shooter.

Posted Image

View PostForge, on 29 March 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

the internet can officially shut off now

Kinda getting there.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 30 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

User is offline   knopparp 

Any update on what's happening with this version of the game now all the arguing has subsided?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Spending 12 pages of this thread trying to make a 'real' argument about misogyny in Duke Nukem is ridiculous. The game takes place in a cartoon, action-film universe, not real life.

"I'm going to write a 20,000 word dissertation on the political, economic and cultural relationship of post-war Germany and the United States in the 1980s. To illustrate the various points of my dissertation, I will use clips from the film 'Die Hard'". Jesus wept.

You might as well use Huggy Bear to portray realistic problems of sex workers in LA.

User is offline   knopparp 

How has there not been an update about this? I was just scrolling through old posts and Randy Pitchfork was on about collating all the shit together to make a shippable collection of the old builds. It's now been a good 2 years since the start of all this new information coming to light. Where's our 2001 build?

User is offline   justLMAO 

I'm guessing the hold up is Shitfart brainstorming ideas for this "Definitive Duke Nukem Collection" he mentioned

This post has been edited by justLMAO: 02 September 2019 - 08:15 AM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options