Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

And 2K doesn't like money since when?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

If it doesn't get them as much money as humanly possible, they're not interested.

Has anyone ever asked him who has the distribution rights to the other Duke games (1, 2 and Manhattan Project)?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Of course 2K is part of the problem, but they both play the same TRRIPPPLEEE AAA scam based around what makes the most money.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 09 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

From my understanding Gearbox *IS* attempting to get the 2001 build together ie complete along with some other playable builds(from previous incarnations of DNF) and will *possibly* release this
as some type of Duke Nukem Forever Legacy Collection.

Really pumped to play the 2001 version! Let's hope Gearbox can pull it off!

-Always bet on Duke. Always.

-Kaiser

View Postkaisersoze, on 13 May 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

From my understanding Gearbox *IS* attempting to get the 2001 build together ie complete along with some other playable builds(from previous incarnations of DNF) and will *possibly* release this

That's only what Randy is saying. Words are cheap.

Talking about Fred from 3DRealms huh umm Randy they fix what they make unlike you piece of shit.

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 13 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostDuke Legacy, on 13 May 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

Talking about Fred from 3DRealms huh umm Randy they fix what they make unlike you piece of shit.

Yup. Unlike Gearbox, 3DRealms actually gets rid of garbage.
Posted Image

User is offline   hiczok 

wtf guys. Take it east instead of calling people garbage.
I also think they should just put all there was on the internet but at least now someone will compile it and make it run.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Chances of Gearbox announcing something Duke related at E3? They have said they are showing stuff at E3 and confirmed it isn't Borderlands 3 (which could just be a lie)
Who knows, MAYBE it'll be a new Duke game or DNF 2001

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hahahaha is that a joke or are you retarded?

View PostHulkNukem, on 15 May 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Chances of Gearbox announcing something Duke related at E3? They have said they are showing stuff at E3 and confirmed it isn't Borderlands 3 (which could just be a lie)
Who knows, MAYBE it'll be a new Duke game or DNF 2001

Maybe it's gonna be Desert Bus VR 2. Yeah, that's more likely.

View Postkaisersoze, on 13 May 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Really pumped to play the 2001 version! Let's hope Gearbox can pull it off!

-Always bet on Duke. Always.

-Kaiser

Knowing Gearbox, it'll probably be a timed pre-order exclusive that comes with a "remastered" version of the 2011 Forever.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but I can't wait for the day when Gearbox does something great with Duke, just to see what the reaction is on here.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 15 May 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

...I can't wait for the day when Gearbox does something great with Duke, just to see what the reaction is on here.

Anything else than a game that looks and plays exactly like Duke 3D (pre 1.5) will be bashed.

I wouldn't mind a remaster of DNF if it means the Vegas levels will be in night time with today's technology (although Rainbow Six Vegas did nighttime Vegas too and it was made primarily for consoles, so I don't see why DNF couldn't aside from engine issues). Maybe better optimization and completely removal of weapon limits... although it appears that many here would consider that it's near-impossible to save DNF as it is.

View PostPikaCommando, on 16 May 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind a remaster of DNF if it means the Vegas levels will be in night time with today's technology (although Rainbow Six Vegas did nighttime Vegas too and it was made primarily for consoles, so I don't see why DNF couldn't aside from engine issues). Maybe better optimization and completely removal of weapon limits... although it appears that many here would consider that it's near-impossible to save DNF as it is.

That Frankensteinian monstrosity of an engine that was used for DNF is not something that can be optimized. It would be easier and cheaper to import the existing assets to UE4 and remake the game with that (without pulling a George and starting adding features "just because").

View PostNever Forgotten, on 15 May 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

I'm not trying to sound rude, but I can't wait for the day when Gearbox does something great with Duke, just to see what the reaction is on here.

If Gearbox makes a Duke game you think is great, do you think anyone here will share your opinion?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 16 May 2018 - 07:34 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postfuegerstef, on 15 May 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

Anything else than a game that looks and plays exactly like Duke 3D (pre 1.5) will be bashed.

This is nonsense.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHulkNukem, on 15 May 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

They have said they are showing stuff at E3 and confirmed it isn't Borderlands 3

That's what I thought too because like most everyone else I just heard people saying it and didn't fact check.

In fact, there is no confirmation one way or another. It could be true, or maybe not. In this video, SupMatto does a good job of ripping that report apart:

https://youtu.be/5He1amE2wYY

Also, Pitchford does NOT shed any light on this in his tweets, either, despite what people are saying. He is just playing a game, not lying, but taking advantage of the situation to put doubt in people's minds so that whatever happens at E3 will be more exciting.

View PostAltered Reality, on 16 May 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

If Gearbox makes a Duke game you think is great, do you think anyone here will share your opinion?

Probably not, because this community is like the Star Wars community, unless it's 100% exactly how you wish it to be, it's garbage. I do understand why, though. This community has been through a lot of disappointment, so it's not 100% unwarranted.

View PostJimmy, on 16 May 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

This is nonsense.

You know that, I know that, but Duke haters who just happen to have liked vanilla Duke3D... don't.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostAltered Reality, on 16 May 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

I dunno, I might...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostAltered Reality, on 17 May 2018 - 05:13 AM, said:

You know that, I know that, but Duke haters who just happen to have liked vanilla Duke3D... don't.

Actually it has nothing to do with that. There is this idea propagated by some that people on this board (specifically myself in some cases) don't like anything that is 3D or modern. Which is totally bullshit. People don't like things that are half baked or mediocre.

Like Megaton Edition and World Tour they are both half baked, unlike EDuke32 which is perfectly baked to me aleast.

User is offline   Honza 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 08 May 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

So, to address the elephant in the room, why doesn't Randy just hire a couple of guys who are pros with UE1 and finish it? Then sell it for like $20-40 and bam. Easy money.

Then again it is Randy and he's not exactly the brightest bulb in the pack.

View PostJimmy, on 08 May 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

Because that won't make as much money as whatever modern crap they want to put out.

I think you guys hit the nail on the head - and this is what I would do if I was in charge, though as Jimmy said - it won't make as much money as they would ideally like. Downplaying what is actually on hand is part of t he strategy.

If we ever see anything from that '98 or '01 trailer I expect it to be at most what the DNF2011 demo contained - say, 2-3 levels and it will be added with some shitty AAA title for people who pre-ordered. Then they will say oh, we did everything we could and the community is still not happy. Case closed.

Unless some P2P leak happens we will never, ever see all of it. I'd say I'm accepting bets to prove me wrong but since nobody is willing to break his NDA and go behind the leak publicly - say making a torrent and digitally sign it or at least publicly admit it we will never know.

You know what - it's been 20 years since that '98 trailer has been released (kind of amazing), I guess I really gave up at this point especially in this politically correct world being cruised by lawyers everywhere...

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostHonza, on 22 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

You know what - it's been 20 years since that '98 trailer has been released (kind of amazing), I guess I really gave up at this point especially in this politically correct world being cruised by lawyers everywhere...

Duke Nukem Forever released 7 years ago next month.
THAT is the amazing pass of time.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 22 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

7 years since DNF and if we’re lucky if it doesn’t take 13 years for Duke 5... which will probably be what DNF should have been ironically. Wouldn’t be surprised if they look at these assets and just use some of the ideas in the next game.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Sorry I couldn't be back sooner but my father passed away and my brothers and I had to lay him to rest. He was 66. I Love you Dad.
So back on topic, I have to think Gearbox is doing *something* with the Duke I.P. I've heard everything from releasing the previous builds, a remastered DNF, Duke Begins, Duke 3D Reloaded to an all new Duke Game. Grain of salt of course.
I guess we'll see in a few weeks. Oh and Gearbox saying they aren't showing Borderlands 3 is semantics. Some folks over at NeoGAF have a thread where they're discussing that Microsoft signed numerous deals with publishers to"showcase" games *first* on Xbox One X and among those is apparently Borderlands. I have no doubts it'll be there. Plenty of time has passed for the game development wise and it should be in excellent shape by now to show off.
I just hope we'll get something Duke related as well.
Take care everyone,-Kaiser

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postkaisersoze, on 23 May 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

I have to think Gearbox is doing *something* with the Duke I.P. I've heard everything from releasing the previous builds, a remastered DNF, Duke Begins, Duke 3D Reloaded to an all new Duke Game. Grain of salt of course.

Where are you hearing this? Most of that potential news is many years old.

It may be unlikely to happen, but IF Gearbox were willing to release the early build of DNF, I suggest a compromise that may work. Release a finished version of the build which is available to anyone who wants to buy it, AND include a user friendly version of the original unfinished build with the finished release so that fans could appreciate and enjoy both. I would also want to suggest that the build come with an editor, modding tools, and the source code, but that may be unrealistic.

It's just a suggestion. I know it may not happen, but it's nice to consider the possibility.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options