Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

View PostMav3r1ck, on 14 March 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

That is true, but unless Gearbox gives back the franchise to 3Drealms or agrees to release this version. Nothing can be done about it.

AFAIK, there's also a third player in the field: 2K, which holds the distribution rights to DNF. And Randy has a history of bending over to 2K.

I once joked in another forum that the agreement between Gearbox and 2K states:
1) When 2K expresses an opinion, Randy agrees.
2) It is not necessary for 2K to express an opinion for Randy to agree.
3) It is not necessary for Randy to agree.

That is also true. Then again, none of that would have been an issue with a 2001 release of DNF.

Which would have only been up to George. He had even said "If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong". And that was AFTER the 2001 trailer was released. I don't understand how he could not see that, when 2001 rolled around and DNF wasn't out yet, something WAS very wrong.

Though I did enjoy the E3 98 version with the Megadeth Grabbag theme. That is by far my favorite DNF trailer.

That was James Grote's (=Gigadeth's) version. I have two high quality excerpts from it that I have archived here.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 14 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

I pray a miracle can happen so that this can see the light of day.

So, I guess all we can do now is just wait :/ Until 2k and gearbox can get it together. How long do you guys think it will take for these builds to get released? I say 6 months to a year. :)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

"All we can do is wait."

Oh you youngin's make me slap my knee and laugh. The glory days of youth... Ah... *glassy eyed*

The wait for the real DNF never really ended.

22 years and counting baby!

• Judge Mental

View PostDoom64hunter, on 15 March 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

The wait for the real DNF never really ended.

22 years and counting baby!

I was 10 when I started waiting, i'm now on the eve of 30.

What the fuck.

It's rather interesting that this comes out after DNF 2011. Which turned out to be a big disappointment to most fans.

And to find out it can be completed, polished and released so soon.

Lemme ask y'all a question. Would y'all call this a coincidence, a miracle or divine intervention?

View PostMav3r1ck, on 15 March 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

It's rather interesting that this comes out after DNF 2011. Which turned out to be a big disappointment to most fans.

Lemme ask y'all a question. Would y'all call this a coincidence, a miracle or divine intervention?

I would call it an impossibility, and I have no hope for a release to occur any time soon. For that, someone would need to convince Randy and 2K that releasing it is a good idea. :) We're dealing with individuals who believe that including mod tools in games would be a bad idea, because it would convince people not to buy DLC.
"Hey, wouldn't it be nice if DNF 2001 was released?" "Hey, wouldn't it be nice if cholesterol turned out to be the cure against cancer?"

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 15 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

Come on guys a miracle is going to happen, Good things come to people who wait.

I also hope it's a miracle. This is far from being over. You know something is going to go down over this.

Call it a gutsy feeling.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What evidence are you basing this miracle hope on? I haven't been closely following this thread.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

User is offline   stumppy84 

I thought that Randy is working on getting take 2 to sign off on it? Isn’t that what he said in the duke4 stream?

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh that. I thought something new may have come to light. I'm not holding my breath for this to happen quickly (or, realistically, at all).

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

View Postduke a number1, on 15 March 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

If I had waited Duke/SW source would have never been released. Good things come to people who act when opportunity is ripe, and even then still sometimes never come.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 March 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

What evidence are you basing this miracle hope on? I haven't been closely following this thread.

There *appears* to be a willingness on the part of Fred & co. that has access to the data to put the effort in to do the for free relatively thankless work to get the game and the tools in a Buyer Beware WYSIWYG state. They just need the thumbs up to do so without fear of being sued into homelessness.

This post has been edited by SpotsSpot'sSpots: 15 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

Am I the only person compulsively checking this thread in the hopes that this stuff will just be dumped on a file sharing site somewhere?

What are the possibilities that it's already out there?

View PostDuke4Beta, on 15 March 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

Am I the only person compulsively checking this thread in the hopes that this stuff will just be dumped on a file sharing site somewhere?

Yes. Everyone who ever had, or more rarely still has, access to do so has high enough professional standards as well as self preservation instincts to make any unapproved release unlikely.

Your account history seems not... organic.

View PostDuke4Beta, on 15 March 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

What are the possibilities that it's already out there?

What are the number of Dukes you can fit on the head of a stripper that is secretly a PigCip working for Dr. Proton which is just George's post-singularity identity?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 March 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

I have no evidence to support this. I do pray for a miracle to happen though.

View Poststumppy84, on 15 March 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

I thought that Randy is working on getting take 2 to sign off on it? Isn’t that what he said in the duke4 stream?

This seems to be legit. I quoted some info below.

"3d Realms wants to release it for free including making it stable for current windows builds and offering mod support to fans so that they may finish it. But Randy Pitchford is saying they have to buy a license to release it even for free - as they own the IP now."

It seems that Randy is more or less ok to go with the idea but needs some stuff done by 3DRealms to make it happen first. So basically If 3DRealms buys a license for it. Then they can have the game finished, polished, and released.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMav3r1ck, on 15 March 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

But Randy Pitchford is saying they have to buy a license to release it even for free - as they own the IP now.

Where did this BS come from? I'll need to see some primary sources to think this is anything other than typical 4chan delusional hearsay, and I've been paying attention.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 March 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Where did this BS come from? I'll need to see some primary sources to think this is anything other than typical 4chan delusional hearsay, and I've been paying attention.

Here you go

I was just doing some random searching to find other websites regarding this discussion.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMav3r1ck, on 15 March 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

That's not a primary source, that's someone making things up. I'm talking about directly quoting someone involved.

• Judge Mental

View PostMav3r1ck, on 15 March 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

I would call it none of those things. There's nothing "close" "near" or "likely" in this scenario.

Stop. No. Holy crap.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostHendricks266, on 15 March 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

It's just people who lack reading comprehension, mixing up statements and tweets from different subjects (D3D Reloaded, hypothetical Duke sidescroller, DNF tech licenses) and then applying a further layer of inability to comprehend on top of it. There are sources - various Twitter exchanges between Randy and Fred mainly - they just don't say what people apparently think they are.

Edit: Most of it is linked here: https://www.dsogamin...orror-elements/

This post has been edited by necroslut: 15 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 15 March 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

That's not a primary source, that's someone making things up. I'm talking about directly quoting someone involved.

Just some random searching and found that place and quoted some of it and then I posted it.

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember Fred offering to arrange and release the mod tools for DNF on that stream, but not any early builds...

He makes it pretty clear he'd like to release the whole package. He's not shy about how they get to play the game in SP and MP and his commentary on getting everything ready for release seems unambiguous that it would be to prep and release what they have already done to make it so they can play the existing content and edit themselves, with whatever else is needed to make it viable for the public (delete private info, get approval, etc).

User is offline   Maisth 

In my opinion the only way i'm seeing this released is by a leak.

User is offline   Noddy 

Can't we petition 2K or Gearbox or something. Maybe if we show we still want it they "might" consider releasing it. Or what if we start "pestering" them on Twitter?
I just think we shouldn't just sit on our hands, doing nothing that's all.

View PostMav3r1ck, on 15 March 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

I also hope it's a miracle. This is far from being over. You know something is going to go down over this.

View PostMav3r1ck, on 15 March 2018 - 10:34 PM, said:

I have no evidence to support this. I do pray for a miracle to happen though.

Faith is why you're wrong.

View PostMav3r1ck, on 15 March 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

Call it a gutsy feeling.

The last time I had a gutsy feeling, it turned out I just had to take a shit.

Sometimes faith is all we need.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 16 March 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

Sometimes faith is all we need.

Why do you believe that? What happens if you don't have faith?

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options