Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

You're pragmatically forced to when it comes to Duke3D. Did it ever occur to Gearbox that modifying the GRP screws up multiplayer big time?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRADAЯ, on 15 May 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

You're pragmatically forced to when it comes to Duke3D. Did it ever occur to Gearbox that modifying the GRP screws up multiplayer big time?

The WT GRP has maps and CONs identical to Atomic. The data is fully interoperable with Atomic, you just need to provide your own source port.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostOuttagum, on 17 March 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

I see that sneer as more like Sylvester Stallone.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostHendricks266, on 15 May 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

The WT GRP has maps and CONs identical to Atomic. The data is fully interoperable with Atomic, you just need to provide your own source port.

I've had some folks tell me they have problems with map compatibility. I've never tested this myself though. It probably runs fine. But either way, HDuke is the dominant source port with the community I play with, and I'm sure Hunter has no interest in updating it for World Tour compatibility, as anything besides the stock 1.5 GRP would compromise his fake anti-cheat placebo bullcrap or whatever.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRADAЯ, on 15 May 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

I've had some folks tell me they have problems with map compatibility. I've never tested this myself though. It probably runs fine. But either way, HDuke is the dominant source port with the community I play with, and I'm sure Hunter has no interest in updating it for World Tour compatibility, as anything besides the stock 1.5 GRP would compromise his fake anti-cheat placebo bullcrap or whatever.

They will have map compatibility issues if they use the map files that are loose in the installation directory. They should pull the GRP and RTS file out into a new folder for use with other ports.

Hunter should add the WT GRP checksum and accept it as well.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Yes, he should. Would be nice!

User is offline   necroslut 

Art differences can cause compability issues, but while World Tour changes some art in the .grp AFAIK it only changes the art content and not the tile sizes, so it shouldn't cause those issues...

User is offline   gemeaux333 

What does "pretty soon" mean, very soon ?

User is offline   hiczok 

Very interesting video with Joe Siegler

"In this building we worked whole 10 years exclusively on DNF"
God how I wish to see dnf bulds. 2001/2002 build... god we know it exists and there is a lot of it. Fred showed us supposedly ;)

Btw - What was 3d realms involvement in Max Payne and Prey ?

View Posthiczok, on 27 May 2020 - 12:05 AM, said:

Very interesting video with Joe Siegler

"In this building we worked whole 10 years exclusively on DNF"
God how I wish to see dnf bulds. 2001/2002 build... god we know it exists and there is a lot of it. Fred showed us supposedly ;)

Btw - What was 3d realms involvement in Max Payne and Prey ?

Just to be clear that I do not hijack improper credit, Max Payne was developed (all content and code) by Remedy Entertainment (they did all the hard work!), and produced by 3D Realms (meaning we funded a significant portion of the game, handled the publishing agreements, helped guide the game's design, helped play-tested and polished the game, handled the shareware release, and oversaw and co-designed the game's marketing).
From here: https://dukenukem.ty...ayne_the_m.html

Publisher/producer? What roles behind a game do these take? For example, how much input does one have in the actual design of a title?

Scott: When we act as a producer, we often contribute significant funding to a project, which allows it to reach a point where it is much easier to pitch to publishers. We also provide design guidance, marketing guidance (for example, I was a prime mover on all marketing for Duke Nukem 3D, Max Payne, and Prey, leading the design of the retail boxes, game ads, picking the screen shots, writing all of the marketing text, etc.), and at the end, we are deeply involved with play-testing and polishing. It’s quite a lot of work, but then, it’s also really fun.

Prey was well received by press and gamers alike, so just how much input did 3D Realms have in its development?

Scott: All of the above! Big money. The overall concept came from me, and was then co-shaped by Human Head and me together. I brought in all three of the external writers and worked closely with them, and Human Head, to lay-out the story and characters. Human Head and I worked on all of the key gameplay ideas, some coming from me (death walk, spirit walk, Talon) and some from Human Head (gravity and wall walking). And many from 3DR were involved with the game’s play-testing. It really is a big collaboration.
from here: http://www.yougamers..._be_king-page3/

Money is the root of all evil. Said one developer, “Someone once told me the Golden Rule really is, ‘The guy with the gold makes the rules.’” Scott Miller, 3D Realms co-founder, states it just as plainly. “The dirty secret is: Publishers control developers through payments. Rockstar was paying Human Head so late on the milestones payments [in the early days of Prey] that 3D Realms was jumping in to help Human Head because they had payroll to meet. [Rockstar] even said to us, ‘[You’re] taking over the control [we] have over developers.’ Nasty stuff like that happens all the time.” For its part, 3D Realms is helping its fellow developers by offering creative and financial assistance on projects.

Naturally, the money that publishers pour into a project entitles them to have some say. These suggestions can run the gamut of good, bad, and ugly. “When Prey was being developed early on it was actually a Rockstar-label game,” explains Miller. “At the time, Metroid Prime was going to be released, and they had the whole visor thing, and this producer [from Rockstar] said, ‘Well, the visor is going to be a big thing for Metroid, and we should have a visor for Prey.’ And it didn’t fit anything to do with the game at all. So it ended up where we were rejecting all these crazy ideas, and for that reason along with some others, Rockstar ended up dropping the game because we were too hard to work with.”
Source: http://www.gameinfor....1150.56807.htm

Even with everything all set up, the
project still had its problems. You would
have been forgiven if you’d thought Prey
was cursed. It gave Gerritsen and his
team some nail-biting moments.
“Though I can’t discuss details due to
non-disclosure agreements, I can say
that Human Head worked without a
publishing contract for about 18 months
due to our dispute with our publisher.
That was pretty frightening since Human
Head is an independent studio, and we
were dependent on our milestone
payments to pay for production."
“3D Realms, however, believed in the
game and what we were doing with
development, and they funded us during
that period. This kept the company, and
the project, alive during that period."
Source: http://pdf.textfiles...scapist_083.pdf

User is offline   hiczok 

nice. For me, Prey always was the real DNF

Found this

https://youtu.be/OX0pfzoFDGU

User is offline   Kyeb 

View PostCorporal Dingo, on 01 November 2020 - 07:55 PM, said:

This was all leaked on 4Chan in Dec 2019. There is a few things that have been leaked earlier this year that hasn't been posted on here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Someone claimed the last picture with the textures packs was from the final version, but some of the names indicate otherwise(grandcanyon, stratosfear, sandworm, etc).

User is offline   Kyeb 

https://ibb.co/CbwPnr2

https://ibb.co/BggfjT4

https://ibb.co/vzs2zzb

User is offline   hiczok 

god don't do this to me. I am now almost 32... I am waiting for 2001 DNF since I was 12... There is no hurting any company profit if the 2001/2002 version just was released in whatever state...

User is offline   Kyeb 

View Posthiczok, on 02 November 2020 - 02:07 PM, said:

god don't do this to me. I am now almost 32... I am waiting for 2001 DNF since I was 12... There is no hurting any company profit if the 2001/2002 version just was released in whatever state...

I have a feeling we will see it one day. The screenshots that were posted with the alleged game file folders look way to clean to be a cap from Frederiks stream. I could be wrong but it could actually be possible someone has a build of DNF2001 outside of 3drelems and gearbox. Time will tell. If they are legit, I wonder if it's a case of if Randy actually does anything with the old stuff and as time passes it will be a case of "fuck it" and it gets leaked.

User is offline   hiczok 

View PostKyeb, on 02 November 2020 - 03:10 PM, said:

I have a feeling we will see it one day. The screenshots that were posted with the alleged game file folders look way to clean to be a cap from Frederiks stream. I could be wrong but it could actually be possible someone has a build of DNF2001 outside of 3drelems and gearbox. Time will tell. If they are legit, I wonder if it's a case of if Randy actually does anything with the old stuff and as time passes it will be a case of "fuck it" and it gets leaked.

Shame nobody captured the stream.. I've never seen it

User is offline   Kyeb 

View Posthiczok, on 03 November 2020 - 02:57 AM, said:

Shame nobody captured the stream.. I've never seen it

Multiple people captured the stream, that's the origin of some of the original leaks. Someone on here has seen it because someone they know has it on their drive. They are just unwilling to share it for what ever reasons. Even if the 2001 build is never playable it would be nice to see a large chunk of the game in video form.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostKyeb, on 03 November 2020 - 05:30 AM, said:

Multiple people captured the stream, that's the origin of some of the original leaks. Someone on here has seen it because someone they know has it on their drive. They are just unwilling to share it for what ever reasons. Even if the 2001 build is never playable it would be nice to see a large chunk of the game in video form.

If you're referring to what i've said previously there is a very good reason for that. I was shown bits of a stream that someone else has a copy of. I won't reveal who it was, and I really shouldn't have even said as much as I did. They made me promise that I would not screen grab or anything like that when they showed me. I only spoke up when the pictures and clips started going wide to verify that yes, they are real, they are not some kind of a hoax.

The mistake wasn't that Fred had a stream of DNF. The mistake was not securing the rights and position with the old builds first and then doing some kind of a curated demonstration, maybe even bring back people from 3D Realms of that time to commentate on what they were doing in the game at the time. That would have been the sensible thing to do. Unfortunately Duke and sensible don't go together.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Trying to make another Duke game was the single dumbest fucking moment in the game industry history.

User is offline   hogsy 

View PostJimmy, on 03 November 2020 - 05:37 PM, said:

Trying to make another Duke game was the single dumbest fucking moment in the game industry history.

Was it? Making a follow-up to an incredibly successful game seems pretty logical to me. Don't disagree on everything that followed though, but that was all just poor management and not necessarily inherit of making a follow-up.

User is offline   Kyeb 

View PostOpenMaw, on 03 November 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

If you're referring to what i've said previously there is a very good reason for that. I was shown bits of a stream that someone else has a copy of. I won't reveal who it was, and I really shouldn't have even said as much as I did. They made me promise that I would not screen grab or anything like that when they showed me. I only spoke up when the pictures and clips started going wide to verify that yes, they are real, they are not some kind of a hoax.

The mistake wasn't that Fred had a stream of DNF. The mistake was not securing the rights and position with the old builds first and then doing some kind of a curated demonstration, maybe even bring back people from 3D Realms of that time to commentate on what they were doing in the game at the time. That would have been the sensible thing to do. Unfortunately Duke and sensible don't go together.

What I don't understand is the gatekeeping surrounding the footage. I honestly don't think anyone would suffer any repercussions from sharing the footage. I mean hell has anything happened since snippets of the footage were leaked last year? No nothing has happened and if the full stream was to be shared by someone who has it I don't think any parties would give a toss. Hell give me the footage and I would happily share it publicly.

That most likely would of been the best route but lets be fair Randy proberly wouldn't allow it. Look at Randys new stance regarding the old builds.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostKyeb, on 04 November 2020 - 03:51 AM, said:

Look at Randys new stance regarding the old builds.

There's a new stance?

User is offline   Kyeb 

View PostNinety-Six, on 04 November 2020 - 05:03 AM, said:

There's a new stance?

"Randy Pitchford in an interview from July 2019 stating he feels the release of Duke Nukem Forever development material ('01-era builds) would be unethical and immoral and disrespectful to the developers who worked on it"

But I am sure he did do a live stream building a PC earlier this year were someone had asked about the old builds and he replied along the lines of "I'm working on it"

So who knows?

This post has been edited by Kyeb: 04 November 2020 - 05:12 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Oh. okay. Thank you.

...I've just kinda given up at trying to understand Randy at this point.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's simple. Repeat after me:

Randy Pitchford is a fuck stick.

View PostKyeb, on 04 November 2020 - 03:51 AM, said:

What I don't understand is the gatekeeping surrounding the footage. I honestly don't think anyone would suffer any repercussions from sharing the footage. I mean hell has anything happened since snippets of the footage were leaked last year? No nothing has happened and if the full stream was to be shared by someone who has it I don't think any parties would give a toss. Hell give me the footage and I would happily share it publicly.

That most likely would of been the best route but lets be fair Randy proberly wouldn't allow it. Look at Randys new stance regarding the old builds.

For one, the people that were shown the stream were asked not to reveal it at all, period. I don't know if everyone involved signed a digital NDA or what, but there was an agreement made. No screen capturing of any kind. Of course people gladly agreed to that and then did it anyway.

Another reason is the Stream(s) would have to be edited as chat windows are popped up every once and awhile to show the conversation going back and forth. ironically enough at one point Fred asks if anyone is screen grabbing. "Are you recording?" "No!"

So, gatekeeping? To a point, because certain people are being protected. There could be legal backlash. The whole thing would have to be cut to get rid of that damning evidence.

Also, let me just say this, Fred sucks at video games. It's frustrating to watch him play with DNF because he sucks at it. He's the kind of player who makes you want to reach through the fucking screen and rip the keyboard and mouse out of his hand.

This post has been edited by OpenMaw: 05 November 2020 - 06:10 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

There is nothing more frustrating and painful when you watch someone playing your favorite game(or the game you interested) but he/she just totally sucks at that game...whatever reasons that may be. :(

Just forgot anything about Randy Pitchforkd like he forgot this place.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 05 November 2020 - 08:19 AM

View PostOpenMaw, on 03 November 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

So he used the honor system and then just counted on the viewer's integrity? Nobody knows the leaker or leakers. For all we know Fred himself is the leaker and his demonstration gives him a plausible deniability. He should be responsible for this in hosting an event where he can't guarantee nobody is recording.

And what about the png screenshots? They aren't the low grade webm quality. Where did they come from?

User is offline   vini1264 

View PostKyeb, on 02 November 2020 - 07:40 AM, said:

This screenshot of the DNF folder here looks very different from what Fred's posted a long time ago, it still has the same files but this second image looks like it was captured from Windows XP, and it's very clean and high quality.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options