Duke4.net Forums: DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF 90% Complete Goalposts Shift to 2002 Build  "3DR wants to release it, but it's up to Gearbox"

Well, it's not just a re-release of Duke 3D, It's also got Duke Nukem Forever along with it's betas and maybe the Duke 3D betas as well. So that's something to look forward to.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

We don't know that.

User is offline   necroslut 

I wouldn't mind buying another D3D-rerelease as long as it's done properly this time. Definitive in terms of both content, features and options. Though a definitive version would have to be made by/in co-operation with Voidpoint, obviously. If they're not gonna do that then they'd better not do it at all.

Both Megaton and World Tour (and Xbox version before that) showed some potential of what could have been done but were lackluster in the end.

User is offline   Mark 

I've mentioned it before. I would like to see a game totally different than the previous ones. Put Duke in unfamiliar territory.

No EDF, no space stations or aliens. Humor kept to a minimum. Gotta have some because its Duke.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I just had a really horrible thought.

We know 2K's stance on modding games: "Though shalt not!"

What if they do finally release the betas for DNF - and there are no modding tools? To everyone on this forum, that would be a truly insane dick-move of biblical proportion. But looking at the history of Gearbox and 2K, it would fit right in with how they do business.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I never thought they'd release modding tools with the betas anyway if they ever did.

• Judge Mental

Oh it'll be a locked down, tieded up shit show, no doubt about it. Which is a shame because looking at the raw content, insofar as that can actually be allowed ( I know some of the devs had questionable shit in their folders and all that needs to be cleaned and cleared, yaddayadda...)

But the idea of popping open a raw folder of in development stuff and poking around it in it's unmolested state is what appeals to me. That's just not going to happen. At best it sounds like we'll get a guided tour through some of the content and that's it.

And i'm still not convinced that'll happen until the thing is actually put together and released.

User is offline   Green 

View PostTea Monster, on 27 November 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

What if they do finally release the betas for DNF - and there are no modding tools? To everyone on this forum, that would be a truly insane dick-move of biblical proportion. But looking at the history of Gearbox and 2K, it would fit right in with how they do business.

Gearbox have secured a sub-license to publish Duke Nukem Forever and related content in an upcoming compilation they have in production. In the context of this compilation the decision to include mod tools is entirely up to Gearbox Software - 2K Games is not part of the decision making process beyond granting the initial sub-license to enable Gearbox to produce this collection. Randy has referenced this numerous times on Twitter and during Nerdvana Live over the last several months, this is a legal path for them to release Duke Nukem Forever and related content themselves.

Relevant Tweets:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Recent Tweet concerning collection:

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I guarantee this is a Faustian gambit.

• Judge Mental

Yeah, with Duke it's always "i'll believe it when i see it."

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostTea Monster, on 27 November 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

This indeed sounds like very much a possibility, but I really hope you did not predict the future. Tho I said beginning of this year, that I'll see for this one year of 2018 if randy can keep his promises. Surprinsingly enough, it's soon 2019 and we haven't gotten anything Duke, especially not anything Forever related.

I guess what I'm saying is, that I will also soon enter the pessimist/I don't care club.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 02 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

No offence to any of the good people on this forum, but cynicism and a heavily sceptical outlook are very much learned behaviours of Duke fans over the last decade or so.

Will it come out sometime in the next few years? Maybe. Will it not suck or be a completely lazy-ass, 'can't be arsed' shitshow? Ehhhhh....

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 08 December 2018 - 01:46 AM

View PostGreen, on 27 November 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Gearbox have secured a sub-license to publish Duke Nukem Forever and related content in an upcoming compilation they have in production.
Posted Image

If this is true, why isn't there a "Duke Nukem Forever: Atomic Edition" with all the extras on Steam yet?

User is offline   Green 

View PostAltered Reality, on 08 December 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

If this is true, why isn't there a "Duke Nukem Forever: Atomic Edition" with all the extras on Steam yet?

They aren't producing "Duke Nukem Forever: Atomic Edition", they're producing a Duke Nukem compilation that will include Duke Nukem Forever.

Posted Image

User is offline   hiczok 

Hope the new compilation includes 2001 duke :) (+2002, 2004, 1998 etc - anything).
I've sent a Tweet to Randy - if he replies I will let You guys know. 2 months without any post is how the last 20 years of waiting for Duke has been...

This post has been edited by hiczok: 03 February 2019 - 01:23 AM

User is offline   Diaz 

I'd love to see the old builds somehow released. I'm, however, not one of those who want it because it will rock as a game, but rather sheer interest in several design aspects, and a lot of curiosity.

• Judge Mental

View PostDiaz, on 19 February 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

I'd love to see the old builds somehow released. I'm, however, not one of those who want it because it will rock as a game, but rather sheer interest in several design aspects, and a lot of curiosity.

I'd say that's how most of the Duke Community (those that even care anymore) would feel about it.

• The Sarien Encounter

^ What those two guys said.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Even in an unfinished state, just to see a snapshot of 3DR's early 2000s internal work would be illuminating.

• Judge Mental

That's all it should be. Like the Doom Alpha's or LameDuke, it should be a more or less unvarnished release of what existed at that time. Rough edges, bugs, whatever. Clean up get's in the way of the purity of the history. It's a time capsule.

But I don't think it will ever happen. Duke has been so horrifically mismanaged over the last 18 years now.

It breaks my heart. It really does. 1999-2007. Duke was riding high in popularity, even after years and years with no releases. Things were still going, the community for Duke3D was strong. New threads and discussions were happening in earnest daily. Dozens and dozens of people partaking. All the old faces. Now? Nothing.

And it makes no sense. It will never make sense, even with answers it wouldn't make sense. How the Hell could they fuck up having that empire so badly?

It's a rhetorical question, because ultimately the answer isn't important. It happened. It's done.

Duke is dead. A few people making maps and mods carry the candle down the aisle, but the king is in his coffin, and if we're really really honest with ourselves, he was there May 6 2009 when 3D Realms shuttered and the original team, and the grander vision of DNF, were lost completely to desperate last minute moves.

I miss Duke. I wish he'd make a comeback, but there's no fire at Gearbox to do it right, and with all do respect to "3D Realms" It's just a name. It's not the same company, it doesn't have the same voice anymore. It's got it's own thing, and that's fine, and maybe they've finally found their footing between Ion Maiden and Wrath. We will see, won't we?

But the era of Duke Nukem is dead. He was murdered by greed, apathy, ignorance, and insecurity.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 15 March 2019 - 12:57 AM, said:

And it makes no sense. It will never make sense, even with answers it wouldn't make sense. How the Hell could they fuck up having that empire so badly?

It does make perfect sense, actually, and the answer is simple: the empire's very foundation really was not that strong to begin with. One could easily argue that Duke Nukem was a one-hit wonder with Duke Nukem 3D being the only real success in the whole franchise and every other game turning out to be at best mediocre and forgettable.

I for once do not really miss Duke Nukem, as he never was a particularly interesting character to begin with nor is he necessary to make a first-person shooter good. The only way I see myself playing another Duke Nukem game is if it is a really good, really solid game or if the character is reinvented into a more likeable and compelling protagonist, like Lo-Wang in Shadow Warrior 2013.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 17 March 2019 - 05:54 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't know. A lot of people thought Time To Kill, Zero Hour, and Duke Nukem Advance were all great games. And of course Manhattan Project.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 March 2019 - 06:03 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 March 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

I don't know. A lot of people thought Time To Kill, Zero Hour, and Duke Nukem Advance were all great games. And of course Manhattan Project.

Which is why a Duke compilation is a great next step to remind players what Duke was all about and that one bad game shouldn't define him.

This post has been edited by hismasterplan: 17 March 2019 - 06:08 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 March 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

I do not doubt it, but they must have been quite unexceptional, as nobody is really talking about them any more and I do not think that many people would care about them today. Duke Nukem Advance, for instance, seems like it was a good first-person shooter... for the Game Boy Advance. That does not look like the kind of game that can really stand the test of time like Duke Nukem 3d (mostly) did. :)

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 17 March 2019 - 06:20 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

They were only "forgettable" because they weren't made by 3DR. Nobody was treating them with the same level of care and attention as an official entry to the series. Also, Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were both great games as well that people still talk about and are creating mods/ports/maps for. Duke Nukem was certainly not a one-hit-wonder.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Yeah no he was still doing pretty good throughout the rest of the 90s and the early 2000s. None of the games may have been megahits like DN3D was, but they were still decently successful and were critically well-received. To call DN3D a one hit wonder is underselling the power the franchise had going for it back then. I always thought of them as like "B-Games", slightly lower down on the notability scale but were successful for where they landed. Almost bordering on budget titles.

As someone said previously, DNF (and Critical Mass) kind of colored public perception of the franchise to something more negative, and it even captured DN3D in its thrall. Especially these days where the idea of a super machismo politically incorrect character doesn't play nice with modern pussiessensibilities.)

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 March 2019 - 10:27 AM

I do not know, guys, I am watching a Time To Kill Let's Play right now and I am honestly not impressed. It looks like an average Duke Nukem-themed Tomb Raider clone to me. I also read that Time To Kill's sequel, Land of the Babes, was nowhere near as well received.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 March 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

Also, Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were both great games as well that people still talk about and are creating mods/ports/maps for.

In the Duke Nukem community maybe, but definitely not in the mainstream gaming culture. Even I who enjoy Duke Nukem 3D have little interest in them...

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 March 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

Especially these days where the idea of a super machismo politically incorrect character doesn't play nice with modern pussiessensibilities.)

"Pussies"? What is up with the gratuitous misandry? :)

Anyway, as I said in a different topic, I do not get why people refer to Duke Nukem as "politically incorrect", as all he does is make pop culture references/steal catchphrases and objectify women. Not just that, but he does not use slurs beyond the occasional "fuck" or "shit" nor does he do anything to challenge the statu quo.... That is some incredibly mainstream shit right there; back in the 90s, that sort of character was pretty much the norm and it very much still is: God of War, Gears of War, Serious Sam, Warhammer, WarCraft/StarCraft and such are still around and even slightly more inclusive titles like Overwatch and Borderlands still feature plenty of violent, unnaturally muscular men... It is simply ridiculous to suggest that a character like Duke Nukem is somehow subversive in this day and age.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 17 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 17 March 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

Anyway, as I said in a different topic, I do not get why people refer to Duke Nukem as "politically incorrect", as all he does is make pop culture references/steal catchphrases and objectify women. Not just that, but he does not use slurs beyond the occasional "fuck" or "shit" nor does he do anything to challenge the statu quo.... That is some incredibly mainstream shit right there; back in the 90s, that sort of character was pretty much the norm and it very much still is: God of War, Gears of War, Serious Sam, Warhammer, WarCraft/StarCraft and such are still around and even slightly more inclusive titles like Overwatch and Borderlands still feature plenty of violent, unnaturally muscular men... It is simply ridiculous to suggest that a character like Duke Nukem is somehow subversive in this day and age.

can you honestly say that if a new Duke Nukem game came out tomorrow sjw or feminists or any other idiots that can't distinguish a videogame from reality wouldn't start complaining? do we live on the same planet?

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 17 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 17 March 2019 - 05:46 AM, said:

I for once do not really miss Duke Nukem, as he never was a particularly interesting character to begin with nor is he necessary to make a first-person shooter good. The only way I see myself playing..
I'd just like to point out that yet you're here. Kinda funny for a guy who doesn't miss Duke, you happen to be on the Duke Nukem community forum.

The only way I see myself playing another Duke Nukem game is if it is a really good, really solid game or if the character is reinvented into a more likeable and compelling protagonist, like Lo-Wang in Shadow Warrior 2013.
Aka into a pussy. Nu-Wang is just so annoying because he's screaming sounds like a he is a kid in mad crying rage due to sounding not very alpha. He's sounds he makes when he takes hit, sound like a kid being poked at.
Cannot relate to this character at all, nor look up to him.

To me this sounds exactly like how a pc character would be. Something feminists can very much relate to because he is weak and does not offend anyone.

I do not know, guys, I am watching a Time To Kill Let's Play right now and I am honestly not impressed. It looks like an average Duke Nukem-themed Tomb Raider clone to me. I also read that Time To Kill's sequel, Land of the Babes, was nowhere near as well received.
Watching.. It's not the same thing as playing it. I played this game back when it was new on the PSX and I very much digged it and have fond memories of it still. Is it nostalgia? No I don't think so.

Some few years ago I fired the game up on an PS emulator and.. it was different certainly but it was not just plain bad. Main problem I recall having was not being able to play it as an PC TPS game with mouse and keyboard. But like, I'm sure had the Interceptor idea been fullfilled where they re-releaased (when 3DR owned the Duke IP) Time To Kill, Land of the Babes and Zero Hour on PC, that this control scheme issue wouldn't exist and then it would fully hold up test of time. This atleast when it comes to gameplay.

Altho one thing always did pop out to me in it which bothered. For some reason the animation of Duke Nukem made it look like Duke was a woman in the game. He walked feet close exactly like Lara Croft did in the original TR games.

"Pussies"? What is up with the gratuitous misandry? :D

Except he is more political incorrect. Duke does not appology for his actions nor does his appearance/attitude change as time goes by due to peer pressure from surroundings. Tomb Raider was changed from sexually portrayed into a more feminist relatable weak sorta character. She is not a very sexual portrayed character anymore (clothing, breast scale), she makes weak implying noises when takes damage. Not to mention she seems to be have this kinda sad weak look on her face all the time. Classic Lara Croft didn't ever sound weak compared to this nor look weak from her expressions.

Kane & Lynch was a franchise that was set in modern times and it had characters that were, plain just crazy and imo more ballsy. Surprisingly enough this franchise isn't going anymore, eventho it was same kinda dull regenerating health covershooter as Gears and other modern TPS covershooters. Probably has nothing to do with feminists not being able to relate to it :)

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 17 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

In the Duke Nukem community maybe, but definitely not in the mainstream gaming culture. Even I who enjoy Duke Nukem 3D have little interest in them...

"Pussies"? What is up with the gratuitous misandry? :)

I don't really get that view, either. In my experience, the perception of Duke being politically incorrect either come from those who don't understand the Duke Nukem games, or people who have played the games but embrace what they think is being politically incorrect. The only thing from the Duke games (at least, Duke 3D and Forever), that would be considered offensive is having babes bound in alien vines in reference to first Evil Dead and the Alien films. And of course, there are strippers and prostitutes, but that's not really offensive or politically incorrect. Having the option to kill NPCs, who mainly women, would set people off, but I always try to keep the NPCs alive so I can interact with them. But all in all, I don't think the character of Duke is either politically incorrect or offensive. I think Duke has the potential to have a new game, regardless of complaints or politics, and a good game too.

Also, johnnythewolf, I'm sorry the other members are giving you such a hard time. I've tried to reason and talk with them too, but a lot them are set in their ways, and I think they have trouble telling the difference between someone who is genuine and someone who is a confrontational dick. I don't know why some of the guys here are so angry. Maybe it's the years of waiting for DNF. Maybe there are other things in their life that make it difficult to talk to people. Maybe it's just personality differences. I don't know. I've seen some of the crazier members make scapegoats out of members with more liberal opinions, and it just makes everything unpleasant.

Guys. Duke4.net is supposed to be a place where Duke fans can discuss the games we love and encourage creativity, not a place where everyone stabs each other in the neck because of personal unresolved anger. If it keeps going on like this, you're not going to have any members left to keep the place alive.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options