Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Cataclysm Prototype - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Cataclysm Prototype  "The Half-life mod. Released as-is."

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

IMPORTANT : ALL CONTENT IS RELEASED AS-IS and is BORDERLINE in terms of functionality.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Moddb page with alpha release and some development/source files. http://www.moddb.com...clysm-prototype

Installation: Extract dnc.7z into your main half-life directory (STEAM) and then restart steam and you should have "Duke Nukem Cataclysm Alpha" in your games library. Keep in mind that the two maps are multiplayer only, so you'll need a second player to test the maps out online. Well, you can run around them on your own, but it's always more fun to actually have someone to shoot at. Check your console and make sure that "sv_lan" is "0" when you create the server, then "restart" the server and have your pals join. In-game voice chat is broken, thanks to incompatibilities with Spirit of Half-Life and STEAM.

There are two files uploaded on the moddb page:
#1 The alpha multiplayer demonstration from 2014, which is barely stable and features two work in progress maps. "Office Spaces" and "Hollywood Holocaust." I'll be going into more detail on this later.

#2 A raw resource pack featuring raw models, maps, and video files of the development of the mod.

I felt it was better to at least release what was there, then have it sit and collect dust for eternity. You can come down on it if you like. It's really not in a state that can be critiqued, imho, but at least it's out there now, and in that sense I can put it behind me. Major kudos to Bloodshot, and everyone else who put in their hard work on this project.

Larger development gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/QW5ZS

Development/Thanks to
Bloodshot - Level design, Models, Skins, MVP.
D3d Rocks - Music.
MusicallyInspired - Music.
StrikerMan - Sound design, debugging code, QA.
HulkNukem - Mapping, QA.
Tea Monster - Modeling for the heavy pig(lost to time... ), QA.
Cage - Textures, Skins, QA.

You guys are the unsung heroes and truly talented people.

The maps featured in the mod:
"Hollywood Holocaust" was built by Bloodshot, we worked on revisions over several weeks. The goal was to expand the original map in some ways and increase the elements of interactivity. Though to be totally honest imagination outstripped the engines capabilities, and not having a stable code base was always a big issue. As much nostalgia as I will always have for GoldSRC it has only become more and more apparent that it has a lot of niggling issues that hold it back these days. There are a few pretty big set-pieces that show off what was intended with the map. A bridge (nothing connected to it at this point) that was designed to split in half and fall to the Earth, and a Cinema sign designed to do much the same. We were very keen to take the philosophies of BUILD engine games in terms of environmental destruction and translate them into Half-Life. Though I think we pulled it off, the truth is that GoldSRC proved to be just too much of a crutch at times.

"Office Spaces" Bloodshot's brain child. Unfortunately it was still early in development when he halted work. Bloodshot might want to chime in and go into more detail as to what the idea was here, but this level came as an outcropping of some of the stuff we were discussing with the bathroom area of the remake of Hollywood Holocaust, as well as a long discussion about the destructive details found in games like FEAR, and wanting to create a death match map that would evoke that same kind of destructive mayhem. Right now that amounts to lot's of breakable glass, and various wooden plank walls. The idea was to have vents and several floors where things would begin to fall apart, and you'd have secret passages opening up and changing the flow of the map over time.

Were there other maps? Yes I had the beginning of the game roughly set up, inside Duke's apartment, and using parts of Bloodshot's Hollywood Holocaust. There was also the beginnings of another multiplayer map entitled "Sublevel Slaughter" which was a military base mixed with alien hive. Overlapping figure-eights. It would have been a nice slug-fest I think, but it was less further along. There were also bits and pieces for testing, scripting events. HulkNukem had also been building a western themed map which was looking fan-fucking-tastic, but unfortunately we never got it integrated into the mod ever.

I'm sure there are questions coming regarding the why's and what's and who's with regards to the mods sudden halt and silence back then. I can't, or would rather not, get into details of what went down, except to say that years after the fact I was corrected as to certain things and that, had I known then what I know now, the project would have continued. Which only frustrates me all the more. I have no intention of continuing this project now. Yet, the files sit and do nothing. I find that incredibly depressing. I wouldn't want to wrangle Half-Life again for such a larger project.

There is another mod that was recently released for Half-Life entitled "Half-Nuked" which is more of a character port of Duke into the Half-Life world. It's very well done. If the developer of that mod wants, he is certainly free to take the pickings from this mod and add them into his own. At least then, something would be done with the resources and assets. Anyone working on a mod for Eduke32 can borrow stuff too. You guys should check that one out :
http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-nuked

I must further note that, although I tried to scrub out most of the "pre-used" assets from the source files, there are models taken from other mods. Some from Counter-Strike 1.6/Condition Zero, some from Opposing Force, and some from the greater Half-Life community form various model stockpiles. Most of these, it was our intent, to replace with completely original content as we got further into development. So be aware of that. We were using the Condition Zero models as a stylistic base to keep the poly-counts and textures all consistent looking. The Desert Eagle is a retooling from Counter-Strike for example, and the Shotgun uses pieces of texture from Hellspike's Mossberg Cruiser for Counter-Strike Condition Zero https://gamebanana.com/skins/19675

If anyone has questions on where the mod was heading after this multiplayer alpha or what features may have been planned, go ahead and ask.

With all that being said i'll be closing this post out with Chris Bulman's theme for the mod:
https://soundcloud.c...nukem-cataclysm

This post has been edited by Lunick: 02 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Just a heads up, the Soundcloud link is broken.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Posted Image

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostStriker, on 02 March 2018 - 02:35 AM, said:

Posted Image

You need to have cg.dll and cgGL.dll in your Half-Life directory. The error message is quite misleading.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That is odd. I swore those came standard with Half-Life on STEAM at this point. Huh...

Apparently I can't edit my first post now, either.
https://soundcloud.c...nukem-cataclysm

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I always really, REALLY like the assault rifle

And its my regret I never got to finish the western map, even more so we never got to even test it. I'd dig through my old saved files to see if I cant find it at all

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I didn't really get a chance to get much done for this. I was excited about it, though. I can't seem to catch a break with Duke Nukem gigs. lol I remember when the DNF team was first announced laid off and someone (Trooper Dan?) started a project to give Duke one last campaign. Worked on that a bit before DNF was announced coming out again. Then HTTKC and Cataclysm.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Hoo boy this brings back memories.

I poured my soul into that hollywood holocaust remake, and over the years i've toyed with lowkey just working on it again but i never bit the bullet

The office map was indeed inspired by FEAR. I wanted to do something like what rainbow six siege now does, where you can poke a hole in the wall or blow up floors and shit like that.

Had other plans too for holywood holocaust, like having a basement where if you blew up the supports the floor of the main lobby would collapse and become a ramp going into the basement.

I still believe goldsrc could've have worked if we just toned down the scope a bit

Nowadays I've since gravitated back towards working on quake shit with my own mod

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-15

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

"Lost to time" - LOL.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 March 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

I didn't really get a chance to get much done for this. I was excited about it, though. I can't seem to catch a break with Duke Nukem gigs. lol I remember when the DNF team was first announced laid off and someone (Trooper Dan?) started a project to give Duke one last campaign. Worked on that a bit before DNF was announced coming out again. Then HTTKC and Cataclysm.

Do us all a favour and stop working on Duke mods. Your curse was powerful enough to bring DNF back from the dead for crying out loud Posted Image

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View Postnecroslut, on 02 March 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

You need to have cg.dll and cgGL.dll in your Half-Life directory. The error message is quite misleading.

That sort of worked. The game launches, but I cannot start any level. I get this error in the console:

Host_Error: PF_precache_model_I: 'sprites/voiceicon.spr' Precache can only be done in spawn functions

Or if I hit new game, it crashes and I get a "No Edicts Yet." dialog.

This post has been edited by Striker: 02 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMicky C, on 02 March 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

Do us all a favour and stop working on Duke mods. Your curse was powerful enough to bring DNF back from the dead for crying out loud Posted Image

LOL I'm good luck to all the wrong people.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options