Duke4.net Forums: How do you play TC's on Mac? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you play TC's on Mac?

So far, the most useful bit of information I've found is to open eduke32 using Yang, and type in extra arguments box: ''-Game_dir [mod folder]''.
Unfortunately this method isn't full proof, as a lot of TCs still refuse to play.

Can you folks think of any better way?

User is offline   Mark 

I always create a separate folder for each TC or mod. I do not combine anything. I have at least a dozen standalone folders. That way I don't have to worry if some mod is affecting a different one. No need to worry about command line extensions causing problems. But from what I have seen, a lot of people have them combined with a lot of subfolders. It just seems to be too much to keep track of. I prefer my way.

Also, many mods have you click to open a batch file instead of Eduke32.exe itself. If Mac calls a batch file something else, rename the .bat to your proper extension.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Mac certainly behaves quite differently to Windows, and is a lot more tricky to run.

Coincidentally I sent a PM to Rhoenie earlier today asking if he’d be willing to write a launcher for the AMC TC. He was last active about 6 months ago though.

It’d be nice if eduke32 would simply load a grp in the same folder or a sub folder though. IIRC it defaults to an “app data” directory.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 23 February 2018 - 03:28 AM, said:

Coincidentally I sent a PM to Rhoenie earlier today asking if he’d be willing to write a launcher for the AMC TC. He was last active about 6 months ago though.

Hop on IRC to reach rhoenie.

User is offline   brandon 

I modified my eduke32.app contents to automatically read from ~/.config/eduke32/addons folder and have a grp definition file so it picks up all the files on start every time. Let me get the steps to do that when I get home from work and I can provide maybe an automatic way to get it setup.

View Postbrandon, on 07 May 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

I modified my eduke32.app contents to automatically read from ~/.config/eduke32/addons folder and have a grp definition file so it picks up all the files on start every time. Let me get the steps to do that when I get home from work and I can provide maybe an automatic way to get it setup.

Here is a quick, hacky way to do it with Python. Save it somewhere with a .py extension and make sure it's executable. Modify the paths if they don't match yours, I'll try and get something more polished for us dirty Mac users to ease use.

If saved to Desktop as "eduke.py" -- open up terminal and type "{ cd ~/Desktop; chmod +x eduke.py; }" (minus quotes) and it'll make it executable.
#!/usr/bin/env python
import os
import sys

# using defaults on the paths for this modify as/if needed or pass the dir an an argument to this script
edukepath="/Applications/EDuke32.app"
addonsdir="~/.config/eduke32/addons"

def main():
  # see if we want to just skip this
  if len(sys.argv) > 1:
      # build a string out of the arguments otherwise it's a list
      args = str(sys.argv[1:])
      print args
      print("Running EDuke32 with following arguments passed: %s" % (args))
      os.system("open -a" + edukepath + " --args " + args)
  elif len(sys.argv) == 1:
      print("Running EDuke32 with default addons directory of %s" % (addonsdir))
      os.system("open -a" + edukepath + " --args -j" + addonsdir)
  else:
      print("Not really sure how we ended up here...")

if __name__ == "__main__":
  main()

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: edukemac.png

This post has been edited by brandon: 07 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Thanks! I'll play around with it for the TC I'm working on later. Good thing I've spent the last year or so using Python 3 (although I'm aware the default on MacOS is Python 2.7).

I had no idea you could change a python script to be automatically executed, and thought chmod was only used for permissions. The downside would be that this would need to be typed by the user on their own terminal, and they don't normally like doing terminal stuff. Still, hopefully if we give them exact instructions such that it's only copy and paste, most people will go through with it.

I'm still hoping that the eduke devs will implement something on their end, as that would ultimately be the most robust and simplest solution for mod devs and users. Perhaps they'll do something when they add MacOS support for Ion Maiden.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 07 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Anything with a shebang and path as the first line will attempt to be run through that interpreter if none is specified and it's called directly, as for the chmod -- check out the wiki page on permissions, if you really want to be granular you can do chmod u+x instead to only give your user execute permissions.

Back to the TC on Mac thing: I'll try and get something decent out since I can see how it would be annoying for people who just want it to work. I'm no UI designer since I normally write stuff to monitor, automate or anything else sys admin related but I'll see what I can do.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Instead of designing some kind of EDuke32 front end, why not look at writing a patch to fix the behavior once and for all?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options