Duke4.net Forums: Which sprites react to the night vision goggles? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which sprites react to the night vision goggles?

User is offline   bobaverill 

I was curious about how one might make a very dark cave or something but with markers defining a safe path that become visible only with night vision on. I seem to remember there's hidden messages in some levels that become visible only with night vision but my attempts to replicate this have failed. Are there any stationary, benign sprites (not enemies) which turn bright fluorescent green when night vision is used?

This post has been edited by bobaverill: 14 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

You add a code in the sprite to make it visible by NS.

You can virtually make everything visible by nightgoogle if it has this code in em.

Example this code are for invisible lasers in my mod.
with google they're semi-transparents and are (wall aligned)

getplayer[THISACTOR].heat_on temp cstat 2 cstat 16
 ifvare temp 1
 {
 getactor[THISACTOR].cstat temp2
 ifvarand temp2 32768
  { 
  subvar temp2 32768
  setactor[THISACTOR].cstat temp2
  }
 }
 else
 {
 getactor[THISACTOR].cstat temp2
 ifvarand temp2 32768 nullop else
  {
  addvar temp2 32768
  setactor[THISACTOR].cstat temp2
  }
 }

User is offline   Zaxtor 

PS as for the code you put it inside the actor like.

Actorname

>Code here<

(rest of actor code)

enda

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You can add

spritenvg <tilenum>

at top-level of the CONs to enable the feature for a certain actor, or you can use flag value 2 on a specific actor's .htflags to turn it on and off at will.

Okay, I guess I should have been more specific.

BY DEFAULT, which sprites react to the night vision goggles? If the map in question has to work for the widest variety of people without extra code.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Default mobs reacts to NV.
Probably cus they're hard coded etc.

If you make a new mob like a liztroop that goes faster,
It wont become Pal6,
You may need to add it like Hendrick said "spritenvg <tilenum>" thing

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

lol he's not trying to add anything new to the game he just wants to know which of the existing tiles will react to goggles. The only ones I know about are the enemies, but there's probably a few others. It seems logical that explosions would react. I would just put a ton of different sprites in a map and then run around with goggles on to find out.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Only enemies and the player are affected by default. Nothing special happens to the text. What you're seeing is not the pal 6 night vision effect, but instead that certain palette indices with dark colors are slightly brighter under the nightvision globalpalette.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostHendricks266, on 15 February 2018 - 01:18 AM, said:

Only enemies and the player are affected by default. Nothing special happens to the text. What you're seeing is not the pal 6 night vision effect, but instead that certain palette indices with dark colors are slightly brighter under the nightvision globalpalette.

IMO, that's a good thing as far as the goal Bob is trying to achieve goes. That means that with a little fiddling, ANY tile that's colored and shaded similarly to the letter tiles will become more visible with NVG on.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I know what are you gonna do, I had a small map using the same logic, unfortunately I lost it due an HD crash, I remember using dead enemy sprites in a platformer section, so the player only can see the correct path once the nightvision is on, otherwise he falls, I can think of just another two way to use the effect: put the letter sprites litteraly saying the player what to do next, or stretch other sprite with pal4 and transparency until is just noticeable with goggles, so they look like lines in the wall, in both cases you just got black sprites againts a dark gray background vs bright green sprites, enemies can't be stretched tough.

Now that I think about it you don't need to stretch the sprites, just use a "." of the letter and put lots of them to guide the player in a path, reading what Hendriks says makes me wonder if literally any dark sprite becomes a little brighter when the nv is on, so you can use any sprite instead, maybe a combination of dead enemies and the dark sprites could do the trick?

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 15 February 2018 - 05:57 AM

• Music Producer

Double post because I unable to edit. I just checked and it seems the dark sprites are dark enough just in classic, in polymost they are visible even without goggles, or just too dark to be noticeabme, this means original maps are broken in this aspect, or maybe I have the wrong settings? I used old and new shading and tileshades commands with no results, revision 6640.

I used the "under the knife" sign in E3L4 as test.

Dead enemy sprites don't work either, but killing enemies in game make the corpses to react to nightvision, so you must manage to kill stayput enemies at map load without destroying the corpse to use them as markers for the player.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 15 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

NEWBEASTHANGDEAD tile 4671 is defined as an enemy, and you don't have to kill it, so that might be useful. You could probably bury it with just the top of the head showing or flip it with just feet showing.

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 February 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

NEWBEASTHANGDEAD tile 4671 is defined as an enemy, and you don't have to kill it, so that might be useful. You could probably bury it with just the top of the head showing or flip it with just feet showing.

That's right although you can shoot them by accident destruying it, normal enemy corpses can be blown just with explosives, which is safer.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 February 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Awesome idea. This is basically the only inert sprite that night vision works on, so probably this is what I will go with. Thanks!

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMike Norvak, on 15 February 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

That's right although you can shoot them by accident destruying it, normal enemy corpses can be blown just with explosives, which is safer.

But if it is buried that far I doubt that explosives would work on it, although I guess it is possible. He can simply not give the player explosives for that part of the map.

There could be renderer-specific differences as to whether the buried sprite is drawn on screen, so I would check for that.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options