Duke4.net Forums: Youtube video uploading - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Youtube video uploading  "What are your gaming upload settings for 1080p 60fps?"

User is offline   malvado 

Hi, my youtube videos unfortunately look like shit. Very lossy. I only have two videos up at 1080p 60fps -- a Blood episode playthrough and a Duke episode playthrough. They don't look too bad at the settings I use. However I uploaded a Quake playthrough recently (with the same recording/compression settings I used for the Blood and Duke playthroughs) and unfortunately it looks like shit. I've seen other youtube Quake playthroughs at 1080p 60fps and they look a lot more crisp and less lossy than mine does.

I've tried so many experiments but the video always looks awful. I've tried uploading raw shadowplay files at 15mbps, 30mbps, 50mbps and they all looked like shit by the time youtube was finished with them. I've tried handbrake compression following various youtube guides and suggestions and the youtube videos always look bad regardless (and pretty much the same). I've tried Sony Vegas rendering as well following different youtube guides and again the video looks awful.

Dunno what to do. Really don't understand why I can't get good video quality. If you have any suggestions I'd be grateful, cheers.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I upload 1080p60 videos using Shadowplay at 10mbps and they look fine. I don't do any additional encoding. If I have any minor editing or stitching together of files to do I do it with Avidemux so I don't have to re-encode at all. The results are fine for me...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 February 2018 - 06:16 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 February 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

I upload 1080p60 videos using Shadowplay at 10mbps and they look fine. I don't do any additional encoding. If I have any minor editing or stitching together of files to do I do it with Avidemux so I don't have to re-encode at all. The results are fine for me...

That does look good, but look at these two test vids. Am I imagining or do they look like shit? Especially the Quake one.

Compare my Quake video quality to this guy's...

His is so much better.

• The Sarien Encounter

Hmmm there is a lot of artifacting going on there. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's not so noticeable in the Doom video, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 February 2018 - 06:50 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 February 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

Hmmm there is a lot of artifacting going on there. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's not so noticeable in the Doom video, though.

Yup. It's messed up. The other vids don't look that bad, but it's in them as well. The Quake vid quality is unacceptable though, can't seem to get rid of it.

• The Sarien Encounter

Artifacting is unavoidable to a certain extent especially with a lot of movement, which Quake has loads of. Even my Witness videos have artifacting when looking things like grass and shifting the view around rapidly. It's just going to happen. Unless that Quake guy has another method of capturing that creates lossless videos (Shadowplay can't do that). Possibly the only way would be to do the highest quality in Shadowplay and then encode it with Handbrake with like double passes and high quality settings that takes hours to encode just to get the file size down.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 February 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

Artifacting is unavoidable to a certain extent especially with a lot of movement, which Quake has loads of.

Sure, but check out the Quake 100 Nightmare speedrun collection:

Much better vid quality than mine. I asked that guy what his settings are and he said he just uploads the raw shadowplay file based on youtube recommendations. Tried those recs and mine still looks bad. Tried uploading a full 50mbps raw file as well and again it looked bad. Tried various handbrake settings to no avail.

The vids look good before they're uploaded, but youtube chews them up really badly. No matter what guide I follow or software I use (Vegas, Shadowplay, Handbrake) they all end up looking the same level of awful on YT. Weird.

• The Sarien Encounter

Bizarre.

User is offline   NY00123 

I dunno if this will assist in any way, but I'll write about what I've done recently before uploading a video to YT (not that it's been common for me so far). For reference, it's about Bio Menace graphics here.

Quoting from VOGONS (https://www.vogons.o...=644640#p644640):

==========

Bumping here, mainly to show what has worked for me last night for Youtube (and also a simpler command that could've *probably* be used).

Note that I've run avconv in Ubuntu 14.04. This assumes 320x200 input pixels with an aspect ratio of 4:3. Further note that the input sample rate was 49716Hz, and the framerate was ~70.086304 (although the "-r" argument is probably redundant, see below).

Following is the command used for generating the output for YouTube. While its output was 1600x1200 (with a frame-rate a bit above 70fps), YouTube seems to cap this to a maximum of 1080p60, at least for me. It does pillar-box the output as expected, though.

avconv -i bm1patch_000.avi -sws_flags neighbor -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -crf 18 -acodec copy -pix_fmt yuv420p -s 1600x1200 -r 70.086304 bm1patch_000_conv.mkv

Note that the above command is what I got after making a few experiments, beginning from a few commands I prepared beforehand for Twitch (viewtopic.php?t=37064) and also checking at least one other command for reference (http://ingomar.wesp..../2011/04/dosbox ... pture.html).

There are good chances you don't need most of the arguments at all. In particular, no frame-rate is specified. Here's a simple form (currently untested with YouTube):

avconv -i bm1patch_000.avi -sws_flags neighbor -vcodec libx264 -acodec copy -s 1600x1200 bm1patch_000_conv_test.mkv

User is offline   Jeff 

Whenever I make videos, I record and edit lossless.

If you record, edit and encode lossy, it just compounds the compression every time you save the video.

The ShadowPlay videos it records aren't lossless at 50 Mbps. Some of my Fraps encodes are 1.5 million Mbps lossless.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options