Duke4.net Forums: How Do You Remove The Background Tile? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do You Remove The Background Tile?  "problems removing pink background tile"

User is offline   Nukester09 

Posted Image

Notice this picture,it has a pink tile in the background.
I've looked at about every tutorial on the net and none come close
to explaining how to get rid of the pink tile so once you play your
newboard all you will see is the table for example and no pink tile period.
If anybody could help me with this that would be great Thanks!

I'd like to create a Phantasm Mod with Build using editart and probably either Neopaint or PSP 9 to go along with it.
I noticed a lot of the games sprites in Duke3D that the creators allowed players to use,many have the same pinkish
looking tile in they're backgrounds.If you happen to load one of they're sprites into a board you created,once you
go into 3D mode the object is there but there's no pink tile behind it,I just can't figure out how they did it.
They instruct in the Duke3D buildbook to first go into editart and hit (G key) go to and type in 3584.
Once you do that your at a tile at the bottom that says DUKE NUKEM 3D USER ART.
Next they tell you to go to the right of this tile and hit enter,choose (S key) and size your newly created pink sprite,
let's say for example it's 64X64.
Then they tell you to hit (F12) this creates a PCX file of your sprite to use in another paint program PSP or Neopaint
for example.

Once you get there you open the PCX file and also open the picture you want to update it into it,let's say that picture up
top there for example.

Now that drawer is 32x32 and as I previously mentioned the pink PCX file is 64x64.
The reason for the smaller drawer file is because I want to just see the drawer and not the pink tile in the background
and I've been doing this troubleshooting process over and over again without success.

Take a look at a lamp for example,it's shape is complex and unique,also it would be hard to fit into that pink tile
uniformally if I was told to resize it proportionately anyhow.

There are many other objects that could be put into a game that also have irregular shapes that in effect is going
to end up showing that pink tile in the end.

So there's got to be a tutorial on this somewhere,where I don't have a clue,when I finished with this drawer pic
in Neopaint I returned to Editart then they said, hit (U)so that it would update the pic,it would update it ok
as you see how it's going to end up looking,just like the ingame sprites.

I figured that once I went to Build and created a sprite in 3D Mode,hit (V) key twice to see all of the other pinkish
tiles that looked relative to the one up top I created,once I went into Build and popped my sprite up top in there,all of
the pink would disappear,so I thought.

(sigh) If anybody can help me figure out this delema I'd sure appreciate it Thanks

I guess you want the pink transparent?

http://jsbuild.planetduke.gamespy.com/mapf...tartkeylist.php

You must use editart, open the tile, go to pink and replace yours with the editart pink using C.

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

Alternately, http://www.dukertcm....s/Editart_Guide

Special Palette Colors and Transparency Issues: A common problem when converting images to the Duke3D palette, even if they appear to convert properly, is the existance of fullbright colors in the image. Fullbright colors are indexed as colors 240-254 in the palette, and are located in the last row of the palette when viewed in Editart and most paint programs. These colors do not get shaded in the game. An example of fullbrights can be seen in the eyes of the Pigcop. You can see during the game that his eyes never darken, no matter how dark the rest of the sprite appears. Fullbrights can be useful for making permanently lit objects, but they can also be bothersome when converting images to the Duke3D palette. The zip file of palettes I provided includes one that replaces the fullbrights with a single unique color similar in shade to the transparency color, making it easy to spot.

Transparency is determined by the last color (color 255) on the default palette. This purple color happens to share the same properties as one of the fullbright colors; that is, it contains the same amount of red, green, and blue values as color 245. If you don't use a modified palette when saving a file with transparency in your paint program, the program will likely map the transparent color to 245 instead of 255. Using the modified palette will cause the transparent color to be mapped to color 255.

If you've already imported your image and find that the transparent color is incorrectly mapped, you can quickly fix this problem. Hitting the backspace key to select the transparent color. Now move the cursor over the part of the image that's supposed to be transparent. Hit the C key to automatically change all instances of the highlighted color to the transparent color.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Use a hex editor and replace all instances of F5 with FF in the BMP file.

Thanks all!

Especially Usurper,

This Command info did the trick,

If you've already imported your image and find that the transparent color is incorrectly mapped, you can quickly fix this problem. Hitting the backspace key to select the transparent color. Now move the cursor over the part of the image that's supposed to be transparent. Hit the C key to automatically change all instances of the highlighted color to the transparent color.

So ok,So now I've got a one-sided flat image without the pink tile in the background,just what I was looking for.

I guess my next question is,is it possible to make a non animation static 3D image into a 3D image or does this just work with animations?

Basically,what would the command be for me to turn that cabinet up there so that it looks 3 dimensional
once I loaded it into a board?

• Hates Twitter

Well, if you want it to be "3D" in the way that the liztroop sprites are 3D, you'd need graphics for different angles of the cabinet. See page four of my guide on what angle increments will work, then check out the "action" command on the wiki at eduke32.com.

Why don't you just make it out of flat sprites? It'll look a whole lot better. Or a model, if you've got the necessary skill.

I seem to be having a problem finding your guide Usurper.
Could you tell me the URL?
Thanks

• Hates Twitter

It's the same one I linked five posts up.

Usurper Thanks,
I read page 4 but,could I trouble you for a step by step for a 5 angle,a dummies guide so to speak
with keyboard commands to go along with it?

User is offline   deThbaTe 

Okay, this is horrible, asking for something on my first post here and all, but could someone email me EditART? For some reason it's not in my Duke directory, and me being the silly person I am, lent my Atomic CD to my friend a couple months back and have lost hope in ever seeing it again. :)

Also, yes I realized I just necro'd this thread, but why make a new one when this one is already directly related to my needs?

This post has been edited by deThbaTe: 12 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

• Weaponized Autism

eduke211_editart.7z

Here is the Editart that came with EDuke 2.1.1 for DOS. From what I hear, it has some improvements over the original one on the Duke CD.

Open with 7-Zip.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 12 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thank you very much, Hendricks226! Now I can finally fix my messed up weapon sprites XD

EDIT:*Sigh* I've been struggling with random crud on various computers, so yeah... Getting just a little frustrated (though probably not as much as you guys do) :|

Check attached image. Wtf.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: ScreenShot011.jpg

This post has been edited by deThbaTe: 13 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostdeThbaTe, on Nov 13 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

Thank you very much, Hendricks226!

View PostdeThbaTe, on Nov 13 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

Now I can finally fix my messed up weapon sprites XD

EDIT:*Sigh* I've been struggling with random crud on various computers, so yeah... Getting just a little frustrated (though probably not as much as you guys do) :|

Check attached image. Wtf.

http://www.arcadeath...cade/dos4gw.zip

View PostHendricks266, on Nov 15 2009, 02:51 AM, said:

My bad

Okay, now it pops up a blank DOS window, then closes without doing anything else... I have a strong feeling that I should be using a different program to run editart through, like DOSBox...

This post has been edited by deThbaTe: 17 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options