Duke4.net Forums: Massive slowdown when using software rendering - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Massive slowdown when using software rendering

User is offline   Mr. Death 

Here's a little rendering issue I've recently noticed while playing EDuke32 (6637):

When using the software renderer I get massive slowdown when staring up close at certain wall textures/sprites. Some examples of this would be standing up close to any dead enemy sprites, or staring at certain wall textures such as door key-card slots or the end level nuclear symbol. When these slowdowns occur my fps will instantly dip from 60 to 25-30 and hang there until I look away.

Just out of curiosity, I tried some really old builds of EDuke32 to see if this problem has always been there (or if it was just my PC). I went all the way back to the last build of 2010 (1749), and that is the last version that doesn't have this slowdown issue for me & the software renderer runs perfectly. The strange thing is that with each year (2011, 2012, etc) the problem gets progressively worse and worse. The latest build from 2011 for example will only dip 5-10 frames, and then the latest build from 2012 will dip 10-15. Now with the latest version (6637) it can drop 30-40 frames!

I'm only running the game at 1024x768, and while my PC is definitely old when compared to modern specs, it should still be enough to run Duke Nukem 3D at a steady frame rate in software rendering mode. I can easily run other stuff like WinQuake or the software mode in GZDoom without any performance problems.

Here are my specs:
Windows Vista 32-bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ (2.4GHz)
Geforce 9800GT
4GB RAM

Thanks for any response & help :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Mr. Death: 30 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMr. Death, on 30 January 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

Windows Vista 32-bit

well, there's your problem

User is offline   Mr. Death 

View PostForge, on 30 January 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

well, there's your problem

Just to check, I tried the latest 64-bit build of EDuke32 on a Windows 7 (also 64-bit) laptop with the same exact results. When standing really close to certain textures/sprites the fps drops from 60 to 25-30 and stays there.

I would understand if the overall performance was slow, but it only seems to really dip when staring close at specific points. It's also strange that the older builds do not have this issue appear as severe as it does with the latest versions.

Anyway, just thought I'd point it out in case there was anybody else with the same issue. I apologize if this has already been reported or if it's just a weird isolated thing that I've experienced :/

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i'm not the subject matter expert, but since you eliminated memory-leaky vista as being the problem, it might have something to do with the development of polymer & tror over that period of time.

This post has been edited by Forge: 31 January 2018 - 09:59 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options