Duke4.net Forums: Spaceship pushing player - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spaceship pushing player

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am trying to fix a map where a spaceship is flying on top of valid player space, but as soon as it flies on top of the player (or monsters), it's pushing them along as if it was placed on the ground. Can this be fixed or are flying objects just not meant to pass over players? See Mapster32 screenshot below .

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

If the floor of the ship sectors isn't relative, then it's something hardcoded and out of your hands, as far as I can tell.

Seems like a bad idea to have the ship pass a large sector like that in the middle.

User is offline   NNC 

The much bigger problem is that Reconcars can't fly over enemies (or player) properly, it can stuck on the air and looks dull.

• The Truth is in here

I was kinda expecting that. Guess there's a reason why you usually don't see this in user maps.

Well, in that case I'll need to leave it like that, then. But thanks a lot for your input, guys!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Is this something we could bisect in EDuke32 to find when the behavior changed?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

If you mean if a Sector lotag 31 (2 way train).
Your ship I must assume that is the 2way train effect.

Yes it pushes player when passes below you but theres a way to eradicate it (codeless way)
But requires TROR trick.

My mod has lots of ST 31 thing such as elevator , powerglove (boss) etc and doesn't pushes the player with it unless player is on it.

So it can pass above you, sectors, sprites etc and wont cause probs.

PS
you can even make multi passing but requires more TROR.
Like my mod has multi 31 ST platform passing over eachothers without causing chaos.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 24 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

• The Truth is in here

Can you give me maybe an example? Or any hints about how the map would have to be modified to make it work without the pushing effect?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Here's an example of ST 31 trains in my mod

Theres a level playthrough I did and it has vids of em.

(more simple)
Move time at 1:28:50s (for the boss that uses the simple ST 31 effect) (at vid below)
So when boss moves you don't get drag around.
Boss uses 2 TROR (3 floors)
Posted Image
1 below, 2 the moving ST 31 and 3 the above boss sector.
So if you add sprites, sectors etc on 1 and 3 they wont be effected by 2.
inside 2 you will see lines of 1 and 3 as "grey"

(more complicated)
Move timer at 58:18 for those elevators that uses ST 31 effects) incase if you wanna do the multi floor thing. (at vid below)
Elevator thing uses like 4 TROR (5 floors).
So if you jump a bit too high you lose grip (as you don't move with elevator)
If (ceiling of TROR) is too low, you can get "crushed" on elevator
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 24 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

• The Truth is in here

For the fun of it, I took this map (from Ray Tracer's "The Real Bad Ass", 1998/1999) and played it in good old Dosbox. The same effect there, so this map actually never worked properly. You were always pushed around.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Night did you try the thing to make your ship not to push the player yet?

Btw incase you plan to do so, backup level etc.

• The Truth is in here

I think this beats my skills. I can do easier edits that don't mess with level architecture so much, but for me, this is expert level. :S

If you want to try your luck, go right ahead - I have attached the map below. I guess the area is easy to locate if you just look at my screenshot from the first post. In any case, adding TROR would probably break the map with the classic renderer, but it'd be interesting to see it working properly for the first time.

[This map has another glitch which does not make the blue dome underneath the spaceship move along with the rest of the vehicle, causing rendering glitches. So far, the only way to fix that was to remove that sector entirely.]

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I can look into it, maybe I could find ways to fix the glitch

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Btw what mode your map is in.
8 bit,
32 bit polymost
or
32 bit polymer settings?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Problem is possibly fixable so doesn't drag stuff around.

The spaceship's blue window doesn't move but I know how to fix that issue.
Complicated stuff that "moves" is doable with sectors very close of eachothers inside the ship sector.

Your ship touches the mountain a bit (exits the sector a bit)

Only penalty is the ship's shadow has to be sacrificed in the TROR thing or the shadow will move stuff around if steps on it.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Good news is it works.

I'll send u it.
Only thing you have to do is making mountain little further or playing around with the locators to prevent the ship from slightly entering the walls of the base and mountain.
On floor 1 (floor below ship) you can add sectors, blocks etc and wont be effected nor effecting the ship cus like the pic i shown you will be displayed as grey lines.

http://zaxtor.net/E3l10I.map

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 25 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

• The Truth is in here

That was really fast! Thanks a lot! I will check it out tomorrow and see what needs to be adjusted still. The spaceship shadow on the floor looked cool, but the ship pushing you and monsters around was a high price to pay.

And just for completion purposes: Since the map was made in 1998, it is safe to assume it was made with 8-bit in mind. That blue dome not moving with the ship looked really ugly in Polymer, the floor texture of the ship clipped through the whole building since it was tethered to the blue dome thingie...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Np.
Way the base was designed, was easy.

I make sectors, TROR em, join em.
Adjust walls etc.

I lowered the respawn a bit cus was touching the TROR area.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Also there is a MAYBE way to make a shadow (is a TROR trick) but very very very thin TROR below player but trick was never tried before.
if it work, means your ship can have a shadow without moving stuff standing on it

User is offline   Zaxtor 

It works..

All is left is to fix the locators a bit or expand walls a bit so the ship doesnt "collide" with the walls and causing flashes.

Is pretty cool trick.
probably first time ever done, as I know of.

Now is ur part to adjust the Locators issues.
Once locator issues are fixes ship will stop flashing (from touching walls)

version of it
http://zaxtor.net/E3l10II.map

• The Truth is in here

It's awesome you managed to make that shadow work as well, pal! Before tomorrow I cannot check anything, though. But I like the idea of pimping a 20-year old map like that! ^^ It's gonna shine as it never did before!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Shadow is actually a TROR below.
I copy ship shadow, then rise TROR to ceiling of the sector below the sector we're in

Locs are inside sector below but looks inside main sector we walk in

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 25 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

• The Truth is in here

I have checked the map now and it works just fine, even in Classic mode (well, kinda - Polymer is still the best choice for this). I found that changing level geometry would break the shadow effect, so I concentrated on optimizing the locators and managed to avoid clipping at least in the areas that are supposed to be seen by the player (don't care what's happening behind the building since you are not supposed to go there). It's an excellent solution, looks exactly as it did before (which is the most important thing) and plays flawlessly for the first time this map was created. Thanks a lot again, Zax!

[Fun fact: If you use noclip, the ship is actually pushing you again - but that can be ignored for sure.]

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 January 2018 - 02:22 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

TROR works slightly better in classic than polymost mode.
In polymost mode there may be some home depending TROR.
Simple TROR are usually bug free.
Complicated TROR can have tricks to partially hide slimetrail, hom etc by doing sectors trick.
Or like my spaceship in my mod using codes such as making sectors (you're not in nor see texture into 562 invisible texture) and as soon you return it restores. That fight off slime trails.

polymer works best and virtually bugless.

TROR in dnclip acts funny, they don't load like you walk in the air, inside wrong TROR, as soon you remove dnclip it undo the prob.

np

PS
you fixed the ship entering the walls and base issues?

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 26 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

• The Truth is in here

Basically yes. Like I said, I had to work with moving locators only. As soon as I tried to extend sectors, things got messed up. Another lesson learned: Locators need to be changed for spaceship AND shadow level, otherwise they move differently... xD

User is offline   Zaxtor 

To fix that you must be in 8bit mode.
So you can lower the lower sector with the shadow and move the locators cus if you move them when sector is touching ceiling of sector you walk on, it will move the locators to the wrong sector.

Once is fixed you rise it back to the ceiling of the sector below one you walk on

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 26 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options