Duke4.net Forums: Sloped underwater surfaces - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sloped underwater surfaces

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am currently working on fixing a map for the compilation pack and face a problem I have trouble solving on my own.

There is an underwater area with two floor structures that have sloped surfaces: some kind of crack in the floor and a rock. In both cases, the author forgot to place SE7 sprites on these sectors (and the surface), preventing you from emerging as long as you remain within those sectors. I know I am supposed to place the transporter sprites as close to the lower edges of those sloped surfaces as possible (as described here), but whatever I do, as long as I am submerged floating over these sectors, I am unable to emerge from the water there. It works for even surfaces just fine, I have already been able to successfully fix some other areas like that (you can see some of them in the third screenshot), but these elude me.

Maybe someone with more sophisticated mapping experience can provide some insights.

In the attachment you find Mapster32 screenshots of the two problematic areas. Note that I placed one SE7 sprite successfully in the middle (on the top) of the underwater rock and it worked.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Checking sector floor Z and putting sprite to floor Z with F7 and F8 doesn't help ?
(In this case the x/y location shouldn't matter)

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Aha! I had always aligned the SE sprites to the floor (Ctrl + PgDn). Guess that wasn't such a good idea after all. Seems to work fine now. Thanks a lot for the fast hint, pal! ^^

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

np!
Ctrl+pgup/down normally works but when dealing with slopes, the sector has it's Z set at the firstwall.
However you can't really get sprites at the base level that easily without potentially having the sprite in the wrong sector.
The moment you put it even a single unit inside the correct sector, it gets affected by the "slope Z collision calculation", pushing it up/down.

Interesting bit of development is seen with powerslave/exhumed as you can only slope upwards from the firstwall, without this you will always be at the firstwall's Z level despite being in slopes (leaves you floating).
Kind of shows what a nasty hack the slopes truly are in the engine :dukecigar:

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Slopes underwater is doable to avoid being stuck in the sector.
You reset the sector slope to 0 (flat) put your SE then slope the sector the SE will be "inside the slope"

I do that in my mod and it works.
Don't drag SE or it will put it back on top of slope.

Posted Image

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostZaxtor, on 30 January 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

Slopes underwater is doable to avoid being stuck in the sector.
You reset the sector slope to 0 (flat) put your SE then slope the sector the SE will be "inside the slope"

I do that in my mod and it works.
Don't drag SE or it will put it back on top of slope.
I do it that way too, I think is a bit easier than the method Oasiz proposed. But there's no need to put the SE on the edge of the sector.

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 30 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Yes.

Can be everywhere in the sector as long it doesn't touch the line cus touching the line can cause prob, like 50/50 chance it would be right or wrong sector.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options