Duke4.net Forums: when will we get an android port? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

when will we get an android port?

User is offline   pacman 

An android port that doesn't suck and makes the game playable, like the Doom Touch port which has awesome controls.

I would love to get to play Duke 3D on the phone. Get your shit together Gearbox or whoever is not letting people write fucking source ports.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

:"(

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not to mention iOS.

I don't see them doing it, but it's possible for Voidpoint to put eduke32 on iOS without the game data, and then have users copy the GRP from their computer. Maybe they could have the shareware on there.

After World Tour I can't imagine Gearbox investing in making an iOS port from scratch, which is a real shame since Voidpoint were so very close to their own official Duke 3D port.

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postpacman, on 17 January 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

An android port that doesn't suck and makes the game playable, like the Doom Touch port which has awesome controls.

I would love to get to play Duke 3D on the phone. Get your shit together Gearbox or whoever is not letting people write fucking source ports.

Doom has much simpler controls, though. No jumping/ducking, no swimming, no aiming up/down, fewer weapons, no inventory items, no quick kick, less use of the "use" key, and so on. I can't see it ever working very well with touch controls no matter how great the control scheme is, it plays poorly enough with a controller.

User is offline   pacman 

View Postnecroslut, on 18 January 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

Doom has much simpler controls, though. No jumping/ducking, no swimming, no aiming up/down, fewer weapons, no inventory items, no quick kick, less use of the "use" key, and so on. I can't see it ever working very well with touch controls no matter how great the control scheme is, it plays poorly enough with a controller.

Excuses. You can play Brutal Doom on Doom Touch's GZDoom port which does all of that and more and it's going to get better with Delta Touch (the upgraded Doom Touch).

We just need a good port that's all.

The developer from Doom Touch was making an eduke32 port but apparently got a cease and desist letter by the retards in charge of the Duke IP ruining everything as always:

Notice how it's perfectly playable and was only a beta. Now compare these controls with this mess:

what a joke.

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postpacman, on 18 January 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

Excuses. You can play Brutal Doom on Doom Touch's GZDoom port which does all of that and more and it's going to get better with Delta Touch (the upgraded Doom Touch).

We just need a good port that's all.

The developer from Doom Touch was making an eduke32 port but apparently got a cease and desist letter by the retards in charge of the Duke IP ruining everything as always:

Notice how it's perfectly playable and was only a beta. Now compare these controls with this mess

what a joke.

Eh, sure you can get it to work, but it won't play smoothly. Brutal Doom has features from Duke, but it still isn't built around them and you rarely need to use them, this is largely a matter of level- and game design.
Even with a controller, which is infinitely better than a touch screen, Duke is still only barely functional.

User is offline   pacman 

View Postnecroslut, on 18 January 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

Eh, sure you can get it to work, but it won't play smoothly. Brutal Doom has features from Duke, but it still isn't built around them and you rarely need to use them, this is largely a matter of level- and game design.
Even with a controller, which is infinitely better than a touch screen, Duke is still only barely functional.

I've played wads where you need to jump and crouch (not that you need to do this in Duke that much, it's still a 2.5D game, I mean it's not Quake) and it's perfectly playable. In fact I played the entire Episode 1 in a TC and I had no problems completing the levels. Once again, a good port is what's lacking.

This post has been edited by pacman: 18 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

I remember playing the iOS release of Duke 3D back in the day and turned it off during death row because I was so irritated with the controls. I haven’t seen it in years to speak on the technical adequacy of the port, but it cemented to me that touch screens are not a home for FPS. The novelty wore off quick.

User is offline   Newken 

Fun fact: there's Duke 3D (and Doom) for Rockbox. :dukecigar:

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postpacman, on 18 January 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

The developer from Doom Touch was making an eduke32 port

Beloko's work evolved into HTTKC.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostHendricks266, on 18 January 2018 - 08:26 AM, said:

but that is cancelled isnt it

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I'm just explaining something you appeared not to know.

No one is stopping us from working on a free open source Android port, but releasing such a thing will make piracy significantly easier for any hypothetical future commercial Android releases using our code. We were going to wait until the initial HTTKC sales period was over before publishing a free port version. Since the project was cancelled we haven't had the heart to touch anything in that area.

• Honored Donor

View Postnecroslut, on 18 January 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

I enjoyed playing Termit's iOS port of Shadow Warrior (at least before it got taken off the store due its 32-bit incompatibility). Controls were quite fluid and SW is a more complex game than Duke. Of course, I wouldn't play it on higher difficulty settings because it's too easy to lose a lot of health in a very short time if you're not very careful. Duke's enemies on the other hand are much more forgiving so I expect it would work even better. Enforcers would be the biggest problem, but then you've got more than enough heavy weaponry to take them out in no time.

I thought the Marathon trilogy ports were also very easy to use. Unfortunately again the author hasn't updated them to be 64-bit which is a shame because the games were free.

View PostKaijuTurtle, on 18 January 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

I remember playing the iOS release of Duke 3D back in the day and turned it off during death row because I was so irritated with the controls. I haven't seen it in years to speak on the technical adequacy of the port, but it cemented to me that touch screens are not a home for FPS. The novelty wore off quick.

That port was pretty terrible though.

View PostHendricks266, on 18 January 2018 - 08:26 AM, said:

I thought it looked familiar.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

User is offline   pacman 

View PostMicky C, on 18 January 2018 - 01:59 PM, said:

I enjoyed playing Termit's iOS port of Shadow Warrior (at least before it got taken off the store due its 32-bit incompatibility). Controls were quite fluid and SW is a more complex game than Duke. Of course, I wouldn't play it on higher difficulty settings because it's too easy to lose a lot of health in a very short time if you're not very careful. Duke's enemies on the other hand are much more forgiving so I expect it would work even better. Enforcers would be the biggest problem, but then you've got more than enough heavy weaponry to take them out in no time.

I thought the Marathon trilogy ports were also very easy to use. Unfortunately again the author hasn't updated them to be 64-bit which is a shame because the games were free.

That port was pretty terrible though.

I thought it looked familiar.

You don't even need to look up and down due auto aim. Doom 2 is a much harder game in Ultra Violence and I finished it on my galaxy s7 thanks to doom touch's awesome controls. With the stupid Duke port you couldn't even shoot and move around at the same time because fire was a separate button from aiming.

This post has been edited by pacman: 20 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

User is offline   Poorchop 

I think that I played a fork of Doom Touch and I found it to be pretty unplayable, even on the easiest difficulty. It's more of a novelty to me but it feels good to have a copy of Doom in my pocket that I can play anywhere, any time. Even if I could barely complete the first map of Duke 3D on the easiest difficulty, it would still be cool to have a portable version.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Man, I hope someday Randy will allow HTTKC. Maybe he'd be more enthused if it had the World Tour content and was made to play it on his Nvida shield (which I know he has, or has had), which has physical controls?

Would help if he could be convinced that most of the work is done (which it is, if I recall) and would come to little, if any cost to him.

Also, if he'd open source WT, maybe the renderer would be of use? Maybe issue HTTKC as a patch for WT on other platforms (PC/XBox/PS4) if a full release on those platforms aren't viable (It would also be an opportunity to fix a lot of it's problems, like the piss-poor Incinerator behavior, joke of a final boss, etc)... Dunno, just spitballing.

This post has been edited by Striker: 20 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

User is offline   pacman 

Is there a way to configure Dosbox to be able to shoot while you move around like on the Doom Touch port in this video?

I just need a way to be able to shoot, and once you start pressing, keep it pressed but be able to move around while you keep shotting, this is one of the main reasons why the Beloko ports makes the games playable.

If you can't shoot while moving your view it's the reason why is not playable:

as you see, the key to shoot is just a key, you can't shoot while turning, if we could get it like on Beloko's unreleased port, we could make it playable.

Posted Image

If we could get that shooting button design in Dosbox, we could have playable Duke3D on Android.

This post has been edited by pacman: 04 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

We did hack together an iOS version of Megaton from SW port in 2014, I already don't remember why dropped the idea.

This post has been edited by termit: 05 February 2018 - 01:31 AM

User is offline   pacman 

View Posttermit, on 05 February 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

We did hack together an iOS version of Megaton from SW port in 2014, I already don't remember why dropped the idea.

suffers from the same shitty design on the fire button that i explained above.

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View Postpacman, on 05 February 2018 - 04:49 AM, said:

suffers from the same shitty design on the fire button that i explained above.

In our prototype and iOS version of SW it worked same as Beloko port: you can adjust view while holding fire button

This post has been edited by termit: 05 February 2018 - 05:47 AM

• Honored Donor

View Posttermit, on 05 February 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

In our prototype and iOS version of SW it worked same as Beloko port: you can adjust view while holding fire button

Yeah it was pretty fluid. I'm still bummed SW is still currently not on iOS due to compatibility issues.

User is offline   pacman 

I just tried Duke3d with aFreeBox and the performance is shit... I gues I will need to buy Dosbox Turbo.

Anyway, anyone knows how to set up the on screen display controls with FreeBox? it seems to be a DosBox clone, it will show up first in the Google Store if you search for DosBox.

User is offline   petrus 

And i thought people playing first-person shooters with controllers was bad...

You could get something like this instead with + a wireless mouse:
Posted Image

4568 instead of ASDW, but still! :dukecigar:

User is offline   pacman 

View Postpetrus, on 06 February 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

And i thought people playing first-person shooters with controllers was bad...

You could get something like this instead with + a wireless mouse:
Posted Image

4568 instead of ASDW, but still! :dukecigar:

the idea is to play it while on public transportation, I would get weird looks with that :)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I started gaming with FPS's with a mouse (after migrating from keyboard-only) with the numpad. With Half-Life specifically. That was my introduction to true 3D FPS games. I skipped Quake and Unreal. But once I played Half-Life I went back and filled them in. I loved it because the keys were laid out straight and uniform. It was perfect. However, I'd have to keep shoving the keyboard off the side of my desk to continue that way. I remapped and adjusted to WASD when I started using desks with pullout keyboard trays.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options