Duke4.net Forums: My quotes - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My quotes

User is offline   TURBOKID 

I had a go at some of Dukes quotes and put them in a Zip, would love some feedback (constructive of course lol)

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

I really enjoyed listening to those :dukecigar: If they would be all in the same quality like the "Quake" quote I'd enjoy them even more. Maybe you can redo all voice lines from the game.

User is online   Mark 

I'm going through them now. I'll post my critique later this afternoon.

User is online   Mark 

I listened to about a dozen or so sound clips. First off, the quality is nice and clear and free from backround noise. But the voice level was way too low. Either boost mic gain or get closer to the mic. Also for smaller file size you can either record in mono or mix it to mono before saving.

The voice clips are so-so. Very few people can imitate JSJ's voice so it up to you to get as close as possible with the pitch, inflections and other nuances of the voice.

Overall it sounds more like you were just reading lines from a script. Some clips were too smooth and laid back. If Duke is angry, attempt to add that anger to the voice. Sometimes you were emphasizing the wrong syllable or word. Some words were dragged out too long. Some that should have flowed more together were abrupt. In some clips Duke's voice should have a breathiness added to it or like his teeth were clenched. I could be wrong but my guess is you were going by memory when speaking.

Now I don't know how you set things up over there to record. What I would suggest is in your recording and editing program, open up the original voice clip. Listen to it a few times while you practice repeating it. Then mute that track and record your version. Now when you play them back you can make instant comparisons between the 2 and hear what needs tweaking. This also allows you to see if you need to speed up or slow down your speaking to match the original's length.

Then, after you have it sounding good, you can play with other effects like EQ or compression to even out anything too loud or soft. Try pitch shifting up or down and see if if makes an improvement or not in trying to get as close to original as possible. Record multiple tracks. When they are all together its way easier because you can just click quickly from one to another.

There. I edited my post probably 5 times. I'll leave it like this for now. :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 15 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

User is online   Mark 

Somebody else speak up. I'm sure he would like more opinions.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

In my opinion quality and voice are good, but you need to put more emotion when speaking. I don't know if I'm being clear.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options