Duke4.net Forums: Duke in 2018? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke in 2018?  "What's next?"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postaxl, on 06 January 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

This. I refuse to believe the franchise is dead. The brand "Duke Nukem" is too big for that.

I remember a few years back thinking the same thing about the Mortal Kombat franchise. After MK3 the series went downhill and we got some abhorrent releases as MK Mythologies, MK Special Forces, MK Armageddon, ... Till 2011 when the new Mortal Kombat reboot was both a critical and commercial success.

I'm sure there are other examples as well. It all starts with a "good" game.

The fun part of that example: Netherrealm did not even have to invent the wheel to make MK successful again. I mean Capcom was the company that basically said "fuck it, just because you have to make 3D games now you don't have to make the gameplay 3D" so they made Street Fighter 4, a 2D fighter with 3D graphics and it was a huge success. MK9 went back to the roots of the franchise the same way, they added the meter management aspect of the gameplay from Street Fighter 4 and the thing just worked wonderfully. The only thing they innovated with was the awesome story mode, something that existed even in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe but that game was terrible so it never got much attention.

So yes, we really only need a good game and to the contrary of what Randy says you don't even have to come up with some super innovative thing to make that work. Just copy stuff from the right games and make all of that stuff a bit better than it was before. :D

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 06 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

View PostxMobilemux, on 31 December 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Anyone have any ideas what 2018 will have in store for Duke?

I'm betting on a 2D endless runner for phones or a pay-to-win game for phones.

I'm always looking forward to the next Duke game, I expect we will see a legit attempt at a new Duke FPS at some point. As for 2018, well there's that cameo in Ready Player One, maybe some side project will pop up. B here's hoping some solid team (with Blum and Levelord around if possible, even for consultation) will be working on a new Duke game this year, for release in a couple/few years.

User is offline   pacman 

no more new duke games, just new duke episodes

User is offline   Dacoolguy 

Just fucking sell the Duke Ip to Bethesda and let id dev studio make it part of their Doom universe once and for all.
Have those teams that made Doom 2016 and the 2 new Wolfenstein game, remake Duke Nukem.
I swear to God, they have so many talented people there in both the graphics department, aesthetics and sound department, character development department.
Everybody is doing their part there.
Give them Duke and have them reboot Duke 3d with a Doom 2016 style of rebooting and keep John st John or bring a new, younger voice actor that can pull off a Duke voice and can bring shitloads of voice acting not just one liners.
This game could be amazing, and I can imagine this Duke 3d reboot to be amazing.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostDacoolguy, on 22 January 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

Just fucking sell the Duke Ip to Bethesda and let id dev studio make it part of their Doom universe once and for all.
Have those teams that made Doom 2016 and the 2 new Wolfenstein game, remake Duke Nukem.
I swear to God, they have so many talented people there in both the graphics department, aesthetics and sound department, character development department.
Everybody is doing their part there.
Give them Duke and have them reboot Duke 3d with a Doom 2016 style of rebooting and keep John st John or bring a new, younger voice actor that can pull off a Duke voice and can bring shitloads of voice acting not just one liners.
This game could be amazing, and I can imagine this Duke 3d reboot to be amazing.

This would be an awesome game. It may not be completely true to the old Duke Nukem, but it needs to move forward now after stagnating all these years. Also, whatever you think of Bethsoft as a company, the last Wolf and Doom games are ridiculously entertaining and are of a very high quality.
I trust id or Machinegames 200x over Gearbox to create a new take on The King that is a both a really fun game, and properly progresses the legacy of Duke Nukem.

Wish he can gives us a hint on what it is

User is offline   Toxic34 

View PostDuke Legacy, on 01 February 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

Wish he can gives us a hint on what it is

Well, I hope that it is indeed worth it, and it isn't just something like World Tour again. Speaking of, could the pulling of it from Steam mean that it's being patched, at least in the PC version? If so, I hope the Xbox One and PS4 versions are affected as well.

Maybe it's a sign that DNF will soon be allowed to be part of the Xbox One backwards compatibility. I hope that's the case.

But most of all, hopefully it's a sign that a new Duke game is truly approaching.

View PostToxic34, on 01 February 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Well, I hope that it is indeed worth it, and it isn't just something like World Tour again. Speaking of, could the pulling of it from Steam mean that it's being patched, at least in the PC version? If so, I hope the Xbox One and PS4 versions are affected as well.

Maybe it's a sign that DNF will soon be allowed to be part of the Xbox One backwards compatibility. I hope that's the case.

But most of all, hopefully it's a sign that a new Duke game is truly approaching.

Not to be rude, but who would want to spend money on DNF again? Leave that trainwreck and let's hope for news that can interest us

I think it would be cool for them to release the complete collection of main series games for the new generation. Maybe even the spinoffs if they can.

• Polymancer

That would be great to have, but the IP really, badly needs to move forward.

What I'm really hoping that we don't get is a revamped DNF with new voice bits and mod tools. Again, it would be nice to have this, but Duke has spent too long looking backward, we need a new, modern FPS game.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 February 2018 - 05:10 AM

View PostxMobilemux, on 01 February 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

Whoop-de-fucking-do, I cannot contain my excitement. In fact, I'm so unable to contain it that I'm now completely devoid of it.
Sorry, but unsubstantiated hype actually turns me off, after getting constantly lied to for 14 years.

User is offline   Mark 

You forgot the graphic to go with your statement. :dukecigar:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: carewhoopdefuckingdoo.gif

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

• Polymancer

Posted Image

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Duke Nukem Forever 2. Basically just containing all the parts from the DNF levels they cut out before.

By "most of all his fans," surely it's Big The Cat related.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm curious, but I'm not hyped. I'm not completely devoid of interest either.

As always, I'm curious, hopefully it's something groovy.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostxMobilemux, on 01 February 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

"You can be involved"

Hmm.. now what could it possibly mean? We get the option to do voice samples for Duke's kid? We get mod tools because by making a map you're "involved"?
Spoiler
I can't think of third example.

View PostTea Monster, on 02 February 2018 - 05:09 AM, said:

That would be great to have, but the IP really, badly needs to move forward.

What I'm really hoping that we don't get is a revamped DNF with new voice bits and mod tools. Again, it would be nice to have this, but Duke has spent too long looking backward, we need a new, modern FPS game.

While I do most definitely get your point, that old has to be forgotten.. those two just really cant. DNF, mod tools. Especially the latter one. Those two cannot be declined since it's too important of a thing to never get to receive. If it was a game that had not been under 14year long development cycle, then I could agree with you fully. However on this case I just can't not, especially not if there's finally a chance we'd get 'em tools.

User is offline   Poorchop 

View Postspessu_sb, on 06 February 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

"You can be involved"

Hmm.. now what could it possibly mean?

It probably means that you'll get to throw money at a Kickstarter project that will miss its target release by several years and then up being completely underwhelming anyway.

View PostPoorchop, on 07 February 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

It probably means that you'll get to throw money at a Kickstarter project that will miss its target release by several years and then up being completely underwhelming anyway.

I can't wait for a Duke game to be released that is amazing... I'm getting tired of seeing this much negativity towards the possibility of a new game.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Monday it is.
Posted Image

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Life's A Beach re-release? XD Somehow the hype eludes me, dunno why...

I've got a feeling it won't be game-related whatsoever.

User is offline   NNC 

Maybe he will add Duke quotes to the 3 addon packs, but I fear this will be even more anticlimatic than WT's temporary removal from Steam.

User is offline   Mark 

Maybe its as he said. Go on a vacation trip with a celebrity. We have a couple of popular local talk radio show hosts go on exotic vacation trips with a couple dozen listeners. Its been going on for many years and it remains popular and always booked full.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 15 February 2018 - 05:35 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Yeah probably something like that and not related to duke.

Anything worth hearing?

It is not Duke related. It's a fan conversion on a cruise out at sea. :/

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options