Duke4.net Forums: Duke in 2018? - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke in 2018?  "What's next?"

User is online   Poorchop 

View Postaxl, on 06 January 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

I remember a few years back thinking the same thing about the Mortal Kombat franchise. After MK3 the series went downhill and we got some abhorrent releases as MK Mythologies, MK Special Forces, MK Armageddon, ... Till 2011 when the new Mortal Kombat reboot was both a critical and commercial success.

I'm sure there are other examples as well. It all starts with a "good" game.

Mortal Kombat is actually a perfect example of this. So many years of terrible titles that weren't even worthy of the bargain bin and when MK9 was announced as a return to form, there was so much excitement around it. MK10 continued the success of the reboot. Duke isn't dead. If anything, there has never been a more perfect time to release another game. Doom 4 and Wolfenstein have demonstrated that the market is still open to a good single player FPS as long as it's executed well. I don't even think that Wolfenstein is as legendary as Duke or Doom in terms of mainstream appeal, yet it managed to make a big splash.

User is offline   Zaxx 

View Postaxl, on 06 January 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

This. I refuse to believe the franchise is dead. The brand "Duke Nukem" is too big for that.

I remember a few years back thinking the same thing about the Mortal Kombat franchise. After MK3 the series went downhill and we got some abhorrent releases as MK Mythologies, MK Special Forces, MK Armageddon, ... Till 2011 when the new Mortal Kombat reboot was both a critical and commercial success.

I'm sure there are other examples as well. It all starts with a "good" game.

The fun part of that example: Netherrealm did not even have to invent the wheel to make MK successful again. I mean Capcom was the company that basically said "fuck it, just because you have to make 3D games now you don't have to make the gameplay 3D" so they made Street Fighter 4, a 2D fighter with 3D graphics and it was a huge success. MK9 went back to the roots of the franchise the same way, they added the meter management aspect of the gameplay from Street Fighter 4 and the thing just worked wonderfully. The only thing they innovated with was the awesome story mode, something that existed even in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe but that game was terrible so it never got much attention.

So yes, we really only need a good game and to the contrary of what Randy says you don't even have to come up with some super innovative thing to make that work. Just copy stuff from the right games and make all of that stuff a bit better than it was before. :D

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 06 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

User is online   Altered Reality 

View PostxMobilemux, on 31 December 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Anyone have any ideas what 2018 will have in store for Duke?

I'm betting on a 2D endless runner for phones or a pay-to-win game for phones.

If your brain tells you one thing and your heart tells you another, get rid of those silly doubts and listen to your brain.

User is offline   PsychoGoatee 

I'm always looking forward to the next Duke game, I expect we will see a legit attempt at a new Duke FPS at some point. As for 2018, well there's that cameo in Ready Player One, maybe some side project will pop up. B here's hoping some solid team (with Blum and Levelord around if possible, even for consultation) will be working on a new Duke game this year, for release in a couple/few years.

User is offline   pacman 

no more new duke games, just new duke episodes

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options