Duke4.net Forums: Sound glitches - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sound glitches

User is offline   MC84 

Hi all,

I've been experiencing a very annoying problem with one of my user maps. I'm using build version 5056 from the AMC TC 2 mod. Basically the sound effects in my map have started to behave erratically; for instance a door opening sound effect is being mixed up with a running water sound effect. Or there are areas in my map where sound effects are playing indefinitely on repeat (like a broken record).

At first I believed that the problem was because I'd replaced some textures (from TILES016.art) which resembled computer control panels etc, and I thought that perhaps these particular textures were hard-coded to play ambient sounds when the player is in close proximity. However I reverted back to the original TILES016.art (that came with AMC TC) and the problem still persists.

I understand that some people might request to look at my map to diagnose the problem but I'm a little protective of it at this stage, as I don't plan on releasing my maps for quite some time. (No offense to anyone)

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

User is offline   Jblade 

The problem is with such an old build (current version is 6569) it's gonna be hard to figure out what the issue is; I can't say I've come across something similar to this. Have you tried loading the map up in a current build of Eduke and seeing if the problem occurs then?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Yeah, definitely try a newer EDuke32. http://dukeworld.duk.../20171220-6573/

User is offline   MC84 

Thanks for the advice however even with the latest version of mapster32 I still have the same problem. When I loaded my map into the latest version it did identify some corruptions; however even after ironing these out the same sound glitches persist.

Perhaps I will try and record a video clip to better illustrate what's going on.

This post has been edited by conoklast: 20 December 2017 - 10:08 PM

User is offline   Mark 

No idea if this will make a difference but...I had a couple of people tell me they were having a problem with the HHR mod. When I saw their log files they had a bunch of lines concerning World Tour, Gog, Steam. I told them to install HHR away from being under those other game's folders. Maybe your problem stems from that? From the start I have always kept every TC or major mod in their own standalone folders. I don't combine.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 December 2017 - 05:04 AM

User is offline   MC84 

Ok I filmed a short clip of one of the main areas of my map where this problem is occurring. Just so people are aware, there are NO ambient sound effects in this area. That metal sign that says 'canteen' has no music SE nearby. Makes me think that perhaps it is a combination of different effects causing this bug (flashing lights, mirrors?)

https://youtu.be/cC3U2gopCnw

User is offline   Jblade 

I know what's happening now (99% sure anyway) there's dynamic code in the TC that would spawn ambient sounds depending on certain textures and stuff - you can disable it by opening AMC_Settings.txt and changing ENVIROMENT_SOUNDS to NO. It was more of a proof of concept than anything.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJblade, on 21 December 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

I know what's happening now (99% sure anyway) there's dynamic code in the TC that would spawn ambient sounds depending on certain textures and stuff - you can disable it by opening AMC_Settings.txt and changing ENVIROMENT_SOUNDS to NO. It was more of a proof of concept than anything.

Maybe.
But this also happens in some user maps that don't have cons.

It happens in a map I recently "tested", but I've always attributed it to my sound-card not getting along with windows 10.
In the instance of this map in question - it was at the entrance of a certain section with a puzzle labeled "launch". Once the player pipebombs a wall, they will enter a section inside a large pipe/vat with golden-colored toxic waste and a sprite based scaffolding over it. It's right after a wall that's a giant mirror and has red hooks on it. I get the echoing buzz sound there. I looked in mapster and there's a M sprite with its sound numbered 1224 & a range around 1500. I have no idea if that's the cause of it though.

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on 21 December 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Maybe.
But this also happens in some user maps that don't have cons.

It happens in a map I recently "tested", but I've always attributed it to my sound-card not getting along with windows 10.
In the instance of this map in question - it was at the entrance of a certain section with a puzzle labeled "launch". Once the player pipebombs a wall, they will enter a section inside a large pipe/vat with golden-colored toxic waste and a sprite based scaffolding over it. It's right after a wall that's a giant mirror and has red hooks on it. I get the echoing buzz sound there. I looked in mapster and there's a M sprite with its sound numbered 1224 & a range around 1500. I have no idea if that's the cause of it though.

Doesn't that area have the echo effect in it, except the echo is turned up to an excessively high value, resulting in a 'tinny' effect?

Although in that area, even the music is affected (in addition to gameplay sounds).

View Postconoklast, on 21 December 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Nice looking area btw.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMicky C, on 21 December 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

Doesn't that area have the echo effect in it, except the echo is turned up to an excessively high value, resulting in a 'tinny' effect?

Although in that area, even the music is affected (in addition to gameplay sounds).

not too sure. It does have the '1000' added to the sound number.
thing is, 224 isn't an ambient sound - it's duke-talk. "Holy Cow".
you judge.
it does seem to be affecting the steam hissing sound and the music.
the effect wasn't overbearing in this video, but occasionally it can get pretty bad on my comp where it's nothing but a loud echoing buzz & I can hear nothing else. Very similar to what's happening in conoklast 's video.

Maybe echo doesn't get along with my sound card on windows 10.

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

User is offline   MC84 

View PostJblade, on 21 December 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Man I could kiss you! Thanks heaps that was precisely what the problem was. I had a feeling that some of the textures were generating sounds, but when I went back into a clean/original version of AMC TC and tried to replicate the problem I couldn't. This problem has been bugging me for some time, so thank you!

User is offline   MC84 

View PostMicky C, on 21 December 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

Nice looking area btw.

Thanks mate; this project will take me many more years to complete but I'm pretty happy with how nice the build engine can make environments look with some nice textures and decent shadows.

User is offline   Jblade 

No worries, glad the problem was solved :D

Forge: The echo/reverb effect has been pretty buggy for a long time now; it's either non-existent or it completely destroys the audio (I actually got a example on video) as well as echoing the music playing. I remember helix saying that it wasn't a trivial fix but it's been a long time. A shame since I'd really love better echo/reverb effects.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 22 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJblade, on 22 December 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

The echo/reverb effect has been pretty buggy for a long time now; it's either non-existent or it completely destroys the audio (I actually got a example on video) as well as echoing the music playing. I remember helix saying that it wasn't a trivial fix but it's been a long time. A shame since I'd really love better echo/reverb effects.

Your video is a better example. Sometimes it gets even worse than that on my comp.
Didn't know it was already an issue that had been brought up before. Would have saved me some time from messing with my audio drivers & I would have kept my mouth shut in this thread.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options