Duke4.net Forums: OpenGL Error and Resolution Problems - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OpenGL Error and Resolution Problems

User is offline   Toxic34 

My rig is a Windows 7-built Dell that underwent the free Windows 10 upgrade. Well, about a week ago, the computer suddenly flickered off. Before I knew it, my personal resolution, 1366x768, was taken off the table. I have done various attempts to deal with the problem from system restores to driver upgrades, but nothing has worked so far. The machine was built in with an AMD/ATI HD 4200, but the adapter is suddenly registered as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." I can't update or roll it back. I have attempted various upgrades with AMD, but the installations don't seem to take effect, and I don't have the various options available.

If that wasn't enough, certain games I have, like Medal of Honor Allied Assault (GOG.com version) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Steam version) are on the fritz, as I receive the message "could not load OpenGL subsytem." I have done the famous OpenGL23.dll fix, but it doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing it wrong.

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

User is offline   leilei 

I know RTCW will naively try to force to the 3dfx ICD it provides for Voodoo5s if it senses a glide3x.dll in Windows\System\. Try uninstalling any glide wrappers you have (if any)

Also if you really want to force those two id Tech3 games to use your native res, add "+set r_mode -1 +set r_customWidth 1366 +set r_customHeight 768" in your command-line in the game's shortcut.

Windows 10's known for invasively updating drivers to their own out-of-date GL-stripped stuff. Also you should never rename or delete OPENGL32.DLL (Unless it's a 3dfx MiniGL that's in the game folder that should go away on irrelevant hardware). You should get off that HD4200 anyway. This "rig" sounds more like a poorly refurbished laptop

Posted Image

This post has been edited by leilei: 30 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

User is offline   Forge 

You need to stop Windows 10 from automatically updating your drivers.

3 Ways To Disable Automatic Driver Updates In Windows 10

After taking one of those steps, re-install the manufacturer's driver.

User is offline   Forge 

There's also a tool from microsoft that lets you "prevent" specific drivers from updating - you can use it instead of using a shotgun-blast method to stop all drivers from updating.

https://support.micr...alling-in-windo

best if used in conjunction with method 1 from the previous post.

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options