Duke4.net Forums: In-editor preview of game functions - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In-editor preview of game functions  "like ambient sounds"

User is offline   BestViking 

Mapster32 has a very nice feature of previewing the sound and distance of ambient, repeating sounds, showing a circle in 2D mode to preview the area of effect, and in 3D mode the actual sound is played as it would be in game.

Would it be possible to add previews for other uses of the Musicandsfx as well, for instance activated sounds? The old school way is to print the defs and have them handy when mapping. But even then, or in the more modernized instance of multi-screen or tablet reference(which is not available to everyone), the sound names are not always that descriptive to get you what you want. An in-editor feature to preview the sound would come in very handy, especially for groups of sounds like the space doors, whcih are just numbered. Instead of jumping back and forth between editor and game until the right sound is found, it can all be determined and settled from within the editor.

Perhaps it's also possible to expand it to other functions as well, like activating switches or touchplates connected to doors or other simple effects to preview movements and how things work together. I am no coder, so I have no idea if this is even possible, but I'd imagine more complex things like C-9 and earthquakes would be more complex to preview than simple doors. Just throwing the idea out there since it is related to the discussion.

Either way, the ambient sound preview is very handy and in any way it is possible, being able to preview similar things in the editor saves a lot of time and headache.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but you can preview every sound with F2 in 2D mode

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostBestViking, on 23 November 2017 - 04:59 AM, said:

Perhaps it's also possible to expand it to other functions as well, like activating switches or touchplates connected to doors or other simple effects to preview movements and how things work together. I am no coder, so I have no idea if this is even possible, but I'd imagine more complex things like C-9 and earthquakes would be more complex to preview than simple doors. Just throwing the idea out there since it is related to the discussion.

You can hit ctrl-p while in mapster to launch the game from the current position & test the effect.

You can also test the map when you're done, or have a friend test it for you to catch things you may miss. This is called "beta-testing".

User is offline   Mark 

Yes, but he said he was looking for a quicker "in editor" solution that would be better than switching back and forth between editor and game.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

In Blood's MAPEDIT, you can preview doors and other moving sectors in their open/closed positions with the press of a button.

A M32script solution would be doable for this, I thought about starting to work on one but, alas, time.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark., on 23 November 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

Yes, but he said he was looking for a quicker "in editor" solution that would be better than switching back and forth between editor and game.

Yes. But there isn't one, that I'm aware of. I gave him the current "solution".

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

View PostDaedolon, on 23 November 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

In Blood's MAPEDIT, you can preview doors and other moving sectors in their open/closed positions with the press of a button.

A M32script solution would be doable for this, I thought about starting to work on one but, alas, time.

That sounds great. Does it preview the movement of the sectors too? It would be useful to preview movement speed and how it syncs up with the sound. And if you have several sectors moving independently with different speeds you could preview and adjust the different gspeeds much quicker that way.

Either way I just wanted to throw the suggestion out there. I realize you all have your plates full, but should there be time and you wonder what would be appreciated, I'm sure more people would find something like this incredibly useful.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I’m pretty sure the included a.32 already does several of these requests. I’d look into the file and the wiki page, although the wiki page is extremely lacking in content regarding the full list of features. http://wiki.eduke32....script_examples

I forgot to say thanks for telling me about the F2 function to preview the sounds, which was pretty much what I was looking for.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options