Duke4.net Forums: Which user map (or episode) you would like to see "vanilized"? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which user map (or episode) you would like to see "vanilized"?

As you know there are a plenty of awesome architecture and atmosphere custom single/TC maps with custom .ART out there (most does not involve any changes to .CON files), playable using those only, one or more in particular that you wish to play a version with reassigned default DN3D textures in place of the custom ones?

What it can appear as a visual downgrade it's in reality a useful to increase their versatility in many ways (mods compatibility just to say the simplest).

User is offline   Jblade 

None, because if they used custom art than that's what the map author wanted the map to be played with and unless they specifically give permission to make a different vanilla version, it's not fair to the author to strip it out. Most good maps with custom art just wouldn't work with Duke textures at all (Welcome Home is probably the biggest example I can think of)

User is offline   Paul B 

When I first read this post it immediately reminded me of a map I made called The Rock. It has always been in the back of my mind of what it would be like if I were to attempt to re-make this map without TROR making it compatible with the original Duke3d keeping it as similar as possible to the original levels look and feel. It definitely would be a challenge, but it’s something I just don’t have time to pursue.

Unfortunately, after reading Jblade’s reply, every time I see the forum title now I see the word vandalized before I see the actual word vanilized. Haha!
Anyway, it’s an interesting thought, but I guess as long as it only applies to your own content and not someone else’s there should not be a problem.

User is offline   BestViking 

View PostPaul B, on 15 November 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

Anyway, it’s an interesting thought, but I guess as long as it only applies to your own content and not someone else’s there should not be a problem.

Yes, partially because of artistic vision. A player might only absorb some of what the creator intended to convey. And then to recreate it? Unless given permission by the author, someone taking liberties might indeed feel like vandalism or disrespect of intellectual property. So the author would have to do it himself or give permission to someone else to do it.

In music, remixes are being made all the time. Some with consent, and some without. In some cases the new product becomes very interesting, but doesn't resemble the original intention at all. That is good if done with permission.

In comparing different build games for instance, we know that the tilesets are tailored to the maps in question. There are no extraneous or random tiles just lying around. This makes translating maps very challenging, particularly if we are just talking about a downright retexturing just importing the map file itself. It could be recreated from scratch, taking artistic liberties. But then we are back to the question of intellectual property again. This being said, I think a Duke Map, such as "The Abyss" might look better in Redneck Rampage than vice versa. Dukes L.A environment wouldn't look quite right with the rural and industrial themeing from RR.

I've spent some time with "Maker" games like Super Mario Maker and Mega Maker. For some reason, people want to recreate levels from different IPs. It never works out well. Graphics and assets are tailored for their use. It's best to abide by that or create something new that accurately represents what you're trying to do. IMO.

User is offline   NNC 

Traffic Jam. It used some atomic textures at tiles014.art along with some SW and LameDuke textures. I think most of these can be vanilized, maybe except for LD's "car wash" sign, which I thought look cool.

The 25th Century episode: The edits and custom stuff can be replaced with their DN3D equivalent (excluding the "fake" dual pistol and the Beta Duke plasma chaingun, there are posters/logos and few Quake textures) without lose the citationist vein which in this case is mostly based on maps architecture. It's one those episodes that would work even without custom material from the beginning.

For the single map, my choice is the WGR1 exclusive Beerzity (someone should have included even that map in the WGR2 readaptation!).

Talking about compatibility with mods, as you may know every map that does not use tiles024.ART it's theoretically usable at least with Dukeplus and Attrition unless there is a .CON which coding is in conflict, but sometimes they succeed in coexist for some reason. WGR1 itself is an example. When we talking about use AMC TC or Duke Forces or every large scale mod with every possible map we found, the discourse radically changes.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The AMC TC has a large number of user maps available as a collection of "EDF missions". Many of these maps were selected because they had custom textures, in order to increase their exposure.

View PostMicky C, on 15 November 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

The AMC TC has a large number of user maps available as a collection of "EDF missions". Many of these maps were selected because they had custom textures, in order to increase their exposure.

In the old Episode 1 release I remember there was a different collection of classic usermap ... Most of them used vanilla textures and musics. Maps like the Shoping Mall, Fruit Loops, Dark Gate, Stranded on Beta 6, Marsian Train, Invaders, Atmospheric Processing Facility, Googolpex ............ Ep2 even boasts WCTime and 649 which use vanilla textures only.

Edit : Dark Gate, Stranded, APFC, and Mars Train actually used custom MIDIs and ogg but I don't know if the real original versions of those maps used vanilla MIDIs >_>

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 15 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options