Duke4.net Forums: Disable menu options - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disable menu options

User is offline   Sanek 

While working on CandyMania, I asked about a possibility of disabling of HELP section in the main menu. It's no longer the issue by now, since I will replace the vanilla help screens with my own manual. However, I totally forgot that there's tons of other sections in the menu, like the whole Game Setup section, Player Setup, Duke talk and pretty much every hotkey configuration for vanilla Duke (weapons, inventory, etc.). If I want to release CandyMania as a standalone game, I need to hide that stuff.
Zykov Eddy disabled these options in Electric Highways, so I know it's possible. However, Eddy don't want to talk with me anymore so I can't ask him for help.
That's why I came here. I guess most people will told me that I need a significant code knowledge to do a thing like that - the skill which I'm obviously lacking. However, I would appreciate if you will at least explain to me how that thing works and how hard the elimination process is. I guess the menu options is not coded in the CON files but somewhere else so it's a hard thing to do by default.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSanek, on 15 October 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

I guess the menu options is not coded in the CON files but somewhere else so it's a hard thing to do by default.

Most of what the game does is hardcoded and only possible to change in EDuke32 because the developers have bolted on new scripting abilities for us.

Doing a quick search on the wiki, I learned that you can prevent the selection of specific menu options in EVENT_CHANGEMENU:

http://wiki.eduke32....VENT_CHANGEMENU

For a list of all the menu items so that you know the numbers of the ones you want to disable, look here:

http://wiki.eduke32....ki/Current_menu

You could try following the example in the EVENT_CHANGEMENU entry -- whenever you detect that RETURN is set to a selection that doesn't exist in your mod, change it to something else. This looks very easy and doesn't require any fancy coding.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 October 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Most of what the game does is hardcoded and only possible to change in EDuke32 because the developers have bolted on new scripting abilities for us.

Doing a quick search on the wiki, I learned that you can prevent the selection of specific menu options in EVENT_CHANGEMENU:

http://wiki.eduke32....VENT_CHANGEMENU

For a list of all the menu items so that you know the numbers of the ones you want to disable, look here:

http://wiki.eduke32....ki/Current_menu

You could try following the example in the EVENT_CHANGEMENU entry -- whenever you detect that RETURN is set to a selection that doesn't exist in your mod, change it to something else. This looks very easy and doesn't require any fancy coding.

I figured out how this thing works. However, that's not exactly what I want. What I want to do is to delete, eliminate that menu options completely, so the player can't saw them in the menu.

• Duke Plus Developer

What is Electric Highways? Did it come with a hacked EDuke32 or was it it done via CON? if it was done via CON, why can't you just open up his files and check what he did?

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 October 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

What is Electric Highways? Did it come with a hacked EDuke32 or was it it done via CON? if it was done via CON, why can't you just open up his files and check what he did?

I checked all CON files. By the amount of menu-related code it seems that yes, he did it via CON. I tried to copy some of the stuff that can do what I want, but eduke32 is not loading then (I deleted menu-chaning lines that was written for my mod). The problem is that there's lots of menu lines in EH code, and there's no clear indication what these lines do.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Do not use the hack menu from Electric Highways. Just keep the Duke options in your menu and deal with it for now.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostHendricks266, on 15 October 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Do not use the hack menu from Electric Highways. Just keep the Duke options in your menu and deal with it for now.

I'm not going to use even if I want to, since EH code lines does not work with my mod.
Why you are so against it anyway?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

There is way more that goes into a menu than what CON can achieve. Keyboard you can do easily, and mouse can be hacked in uncomfortably (see: AMC TC, DNWMD, etc), but forget controllers, touch screens, potential localization support, and more. The menus also need to be receptive to future changes in EDuke32. Electric Highways takes the "doesn't matter; had indie game" approach.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostHendricks266, on 15 October 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

but forget controllers, touch screens, potential localization support, and more.

Don't even need it.

The menus also need to be receptive to future changes in EDuke32.

How will it affect mod with one version? Perhaps I don't undrestand you.

Electric Highways takes the "doesn't matter; had indie game" approach.

Ok, Eddy did it. Why can't I?

Just curious.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSanek, on 15 October 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

Ok, Eddy did it. Why can't I?

You could, and no one will stop you, but no one will help you either. Better to wait until there is a less hackish way of doing it. It's not a good idea to challenge Hendricks266 about this when he is your best hope of eventually providing a proper method.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 October 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

You could, and no one will stop you, but no one will help you either. Better to wait until there is a less hackish way of doing it. It's not a good idea to challenge Hendricks266 about this when he is your best hope of eventually providing a proper method.

If such method will be provided, then of course it will worth the wait. I hope it will become a reality in the near futute.
As of Candimania...the only solution I can think of right now is to eliminate main menu completely, so the mod will start immidiately from the first map. There will be still be the access to some sections via hotkeys, though.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options