Duke4.net Forums: Battlefront 2 Open Beta - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Battlefront 2 Open Beta

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Anyone else testing this? My sister and I recorded some footage of us playing it last night. So far I'm impressed. It's certainly more fun and easier to get into than the first one.

Strike & Starfighter Assault highlights:

Galactic Assault highlights:

User is offline   Loke 

It's okay. Played it once but don't really feel the urge to play again. Feels too basic and the gunplay isn't satisfying enough for me. The audio design is great though and the heroes don't feel so clunky compared to the first game. The space battles didn't seem so bad either but I only played one round of that.

If the singleplayer is good enough I might get it (as long as it's not 2 hours long) even though the multiplayer hasn't sold me yet.

• The Sarien Encounter

The space battles this time took me right back to X-Wing and Tie Fighter. BF1's felt nothing like that.

User is offline   BestViking 

I'm not a fan of nu-starwars, and IIRC this one is based around that, so like with the previous Battlefront, I'll pass this one.

User is offline   Maisth 

Feels like BF1 again with better gunplay than last time, i don't think ill be buying it.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostBestViking, on 07 October 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of nu-starwars, and IIRC this one is based around that, so like with the previous Battlefront, I'll pass this one.

It's all 3 eras, actually. And they all mash up. The big spectacle in the beta is the Trade Federation droid army vs Clone army on Naboo with ESB Han Solo, TFA Rey, Darth Maul, and Boba Fett heroes. The single player campaign will be based on "nu-Star Wars" immediately after the events of ROTJ from the Empire's point of view.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 October 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

It's all 3 eras, actually. And they all mash up.

Because nothing means anything (except sales figures).
Can you at least opt to play in OT only settings?
On top of this I gather that there again is no server browser and that the largest player count is still a paltry 40 ("Galactic Conquest" indeed), when the 12 year old Battlefield 2 sustains 64 and some of its mods such as Project Reality and Forgotten Hope 2 support 100 player servers.

Well, at least you can still play in HUD-less first person mode:

User is offline   Loke 

View PostX-Vector, on 08 October 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

On top of this I gather that there again is no server browser and that the largest player count is still a paltry 40 ("Galactic Conquest" indeed)

Correct on both (unfortunately). There are points on the Naboo map (which is the 40 players map) where there's a lot of empty spaces with no players but when you reach the palace area the gameplay turns into a clusterfuck similar to Operation Métro from BF3. It's bizarre.

On the plus side the game runs really well on my rig (constant 80-90FPS) with almost everything maxed.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Surprised no one else posted about return of multiplayer in Battlefront 2, it has a lot of players which is funny considering the game is already decade old of no more. Not surprising though since the game still holds up very well and is way better than new ones which are basically Battlefiled reskins.

Sounds like Disney is trying to screw EA because this is already the second SW game they decided to patch (the first one was Empire at War) and this is very generous of them, they're the least company I would expect to do something like that. Not that I blame them though, they fucked up real hard by giving exclusive rights to EA, I bet my 60 bucks that the first new Battlefront was a failure (you need to work really hard to fuck up SW games) and I don't expect anything else from this sequel either. Plus, shouldn't forget that fan-made SW game which Disney actually liked and would allow them to release while EA decided to C&D it, no doubt Disney was quite pissed off about it.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 08 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

User is offline   Tekedon 

Played it, pretty fun. Surprised how well it runs on my laptop with a GTX 850m.

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostSledgehammer, on 08 October 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

Surprised no one else posted about return of multiplayer in Battlefront 2, it has a lot of players which is funny considering the game is already decade old of no more. Not surprising though since the game still holds up very well and is way better than new ones which are basically Battlefiled reskins.

It would be a good thing to specify the date to not confuse between the original (2006) and the reboot, because when I'm searching addons for Battlefront 2 without specify it, half of the results are concerning the new one :rolleyes:

They actually renamed it on Steam, by the way. But honestly, original two Battlefront games don't need that. Not because they remain to be the best despite being older, people will forget about rebooted Battlefront 2 just like they forgot the first one or any modern EA game for that matter (maybe aside from Sims 4 or Titanfall 2 which were decent compared to other games EA makes nowadays).

• The Sarien Encounter

So I recorded another video on Day 2 of the beta with my sister again, however it wasn't nearly as good or fun. And that's when I realized how badly this loot crate system is going to screw this up for non-gamblers. The first day we were doing well and having fun because we were mostly balanced and on even ground with everyone else we were playing with. By the second day people must have been playing 24/7 because everyone was leveled up higher than us and had more perks and cards and whatnot. I can't even begin to imagine how badly the division between people who just want to play and people who will blow a whole paycheck on loot crates is going to be. It's basically pay to win, if the loot system works exactly as it does now with the added "feature" of paying for loot crates.

I cannot stress how badly I despise microtransactions. In my opinion, they should be exclusive to mobile games. This stuff doesn't belong on PC and consoles. I've already sworn off Shadow of War and now it looks like I'll have to swear off this game too. And it's too bad because this is a fantastic game with fantastic gameplay otherwise. I do believe it's a huge improvement on BF1.

View PostSledgehammer, on 08 October 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

Oh really? Nice, I'll have to finally play it. I never got into it back in the day. I was very averse to multiplayer-centered games during that era. I'd really like to play the original and see how it actually compares in context to the new ones.

Sounds like Disney is trying to screw EA because this is already the second SW game they decided to patch (the first one was Empire at War) and this is very generous of them, they're the least company I would expect to do something like that. Not that I blame them though, they fucked up real hard by giving exclusive rights to EA, I bet my 60 bucks that the first new Battlefront was a failure (you need to work really hard to fuck up SW games) and I don't expect anything else from this sequel either. Plus, shouldn't forget that fan-made SW game which Disney actually liked and would allow them to release while EA decided to C&D it, no doubt Disney was quite pissed off about it.

Very much agreed there. They definitely jumped the gun on giving EA exclusive rights. Absolutely moronic thing to do. Great for money, terrible for consumers. I wonder when that license runs out...

User is offline   Malgon 

According to this article, EA will hold the license until 2023. To think that we're not even halfway there yet. :rolleyes:

• The Sarien Encounter

That is truly sad.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 October 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Oh really? Nice, I'll have to finally play it. I never got into it back in the day. I was very averse to multiplayer-centered games during that era. I'd really like to play the original and see how it actually compares in context to the new ones.

Prepare for a great ride. And I'd say that singleplayer is quite enjoyable in BF2 too.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 October 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Great for money

That's arguable (and microtransactions are also another good evidence which says how "successful' the first game was). I have zero doubts that not only an actual BF3 would be a huge success, likely it would be also much more profitable than rebooted games combined, not to mention that people would play it for years just like they did BF2, even when servers went down. Just look at this shit, this was supposed to be released almost a decade ago and this is not even finished build:

Rebooted EA's Battlefield with SW skins will never be on this level or on the level of the second BF. And I'm pretty sure that Disney decided to reanimate old games to get some money which they lost by giving EA exclusive rights.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 10 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Did EA BF1 have microtransactions? I thought it was just the DLC.

Yeah, the first one had just overpriced Season Pass which didn't save them I guess (have no idea what kind of DLCs there were though). What I meant is that this is a sign that EA doesn't seems to be very confident about success of the second game, hence they decided to go for microtransactions to milk those few poor souls who going to buy the game, after all this is the only way they or companies alike can squeeze some more dollars (well, if we don't count making the game better). Though I really doubt it going to help much, this type of people play mobile games or games like League of Legends anyway which are also F2P, not $60 products and don't require good machine to run.

Speaking of which, there is already a SW game there which is not so bad for a mobile game, of course.

• The Sarien Encounter

I tend to think otherwise. I think they knew that they had a good game (finally) on their hands and because everyone was screaming at them about season passes they had their revenge by putting the worst possible microtransaction system in place possible just to spite. They're not worried about not making sales. No way. They just had to change their image and then underhandedly charge exactly the same amount of money (or more in this case pretty much) to get their bottom line.

• The Sarien Encounter

So EA released this interesting news update. Didn't actually expect them to actually treat the beta as a beta.

https://www.ea.com/g...sLocalized=true

A couple of the most promising tidbits.

-As a balance goal, we’re working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.

-And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.

I'm still cautious and I'd rather there be no microtransactions at all, but this is a good development. The game is a big improvement on BF1 and it's really fun.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

User is offline   Loke 

User is offline   Loke 

10 minutes of SP gameplay.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Impirial Assault.

This post has been edited by X-Vector: 20 October 2017 - 06:44 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options