Duke4.net Forums: Help with Save Bug on Duke Nukem 3D for PSP - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help with Save Bug on Duke Nukem 3D for PSP  "The Chilly Willy Build"

User is offline   LGN-76 

So I grabbed Chilly Willy's build of Duke Nukem 3D on the PSP (because I still have one, plus I really like this game and wanna play it everywhere I go), set it up the way I wanted, and tried it out. It works great, except for one thing:

Whenever I save my game, quit out of the game, start the game up again, and load the game, I'm on the level where I was, but all my weapons and inventory are gone! All I have is a pistol with 48 bullets, like I'm starting the level from scratch!

Does anyone here know how to fix this? I really like this port, but what's the point of playing it on the go if I can't save and load games properly?

Chilly Willy's Build
PSP Emulator (in case you don't have a PSP but wanna help out)

User is offline   Res 

The solution is to pray for the Vita version to come back from the dead.

User is offline   LGN-76 

View PostRes, on 01 September 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

The solution is to pray for the Vita version to come back from the dead.

Or dump and convert Duke Nukem Total Meltdown for PS1 via PSX2PSP and play that on the PSP instead, which is most likely what I'm gonna do anyway because I learned the hard way that the native PSP version has many more issues than just a save bug...

P.S. I do have the Vita version, but no Vita to play it on. That won't change because I wasn't interested in the system enough to keep it around.

This post has been edited by LGN-76: 01 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It sounds like a bug in the savegame code. I have no familiarity with building for PSP. If you can figure out how to compile the source for yourself, I'll take a quick look to see if there are any obvious problems. I don't know if he left any documentation, but if not the only place I know where to start would be devkitPro.

Are there any guides or recommendations for buying a homebrew-capable PSP for a good price? Once I work through my project backlog I'd like to get us running on more systems just for fun.

User is offline   LGN-76 

View PostHendricks266, on 01 September 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

It sounds like a bug in the savegame code. I have no familiarity with building for PSP. If you can figure out how to compile the source for yourself, I'll take a quick look to see if there are any obvious problems. I don't know if he left any documentation, but if not the only place I know where to start would be devkitPro.

Are there any guides or recommendations for buying a homebrew-capable PSP for a good price? Once I work through my project backlog I'd like to get us running on more systems just for fun.

Buy either a PSP-1000 (Fat) or PSP-2000 (Slim), nothing newer than that. If you buy a 2000, make sure it's not a TA-088v3 motherboard or higher than that. Once you buy the PSP, I'll do you a favor and give you the stuff you need to mod it:

-The 6.61 Official Firmware
-The 6.61 Homebrew Enabler
-Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to downgrade 6.61 HEN to 3.71 M33-4 Custom Firmware
-PSX2PSP, etc.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLGN-76, on 01 September 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

Buy either a PSP-1000 (Fat) or PSP-2000 (Slim), nothing newer than that. If you buy a 2000, make sure it's not a TA-088v3 motherboard or higher than that. Once you buy the PSP, I'll do you a favor and give you the stuff you need to mod it:

-The 6.61 Official Firmware
-The 6.61 Homebrew Enabler
-Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to downgrade 6.61 HEN to 3.71 M33-4 Custom Firmware
-PSX2PSP, etc.

Is there a quick list of pros and cons for the 1000 vs the 2000, and how can I tell what the motherboard is before buying it?

User is offline   LGN-76 

View PostHendricks266, on 01 September 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Is there a quick list of pros and cons for the 1000 vs the 2000, and how can I tell what the motherboard is before buying it?

Here's your Pros & Cons List. Just ignore the part about the 3000 because it's not as homebrew-friendly as the other two. Another thing I wanna add (because the seller won't for obvious reasons) is that some homebrew apps (like Quake II PSP) REQUIRE the 2000 because of the aforementioned extra RAM.

Now, the only way to identify the motherboard on a PSP AFAIK is to run a homebrew app under temporary HEN, which ten to one any seller you ask will refuse to do that. I would have to say your safest bet is to buy a 1000. Every 1000 is fully moddable. But if you really wanna tinker with the extra RAM of the 2000, the best I can do right now is point you to this guide. It should tell you all you need to know...

• Weaponized Autism

That list is a great help, thanks! A few months ago, I specifically bought a 2DS (the original) along with the New 3DS XL I was getting to actually play games on so that I could potentially test homebrew using both the upgraded capabilities and the original constraints. If I ever get around to it, I'll probably start with a 1000 just to be completely safe. If EDuke32 can really benefit from the extra RAM then I'll look for a 2000 too.

Any luck compiling Chilly Willy's modified EDuke32?

User is offline   LGN-76 

View PostHendricks266, on 01 September 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

Any luck compiling Chilly Willy's modified EDuke32?

I don't know how to compile source codes for anything. Sorry, I should've mentioned that earlier...

Also, according to Chilly Willy, that PSP port of Duke Nukem doesn't even use EDuke32, but a really old version of JFDuke3D. He was planning on making a brand new PSP port using EDuke32, but it sadly never came to fruition.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options